Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 22, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #4,727 of 4,845
does anyone else get any sibilance with these headphones? when i hear the 's' sound in a lot of songs it sounds really harsh, how can i get rid of this?
Yes, depending on the source. But I'm sensitive in the upper mids and lower treble frequencies. I swapped pads to some Dekonis. That did some things I don't really care for, but it took away the zing.

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #4,730 of 4,845
does anyone else get any sibilance with these headphones? when i hear the 's' sound in a lot of songs it sounds really harsh, how can i get rid of this?
none here. what are you powering your 58x off of? if youre using a PC motherboard, i suggest the apple 3.5mm to usb-c dongle vs straight into the mobo. if you need a usb-c to usb-a adapter, theyre very cheap off amazon/ali exp

Dec 25, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #4,731 of 4,845
look at the foam disk mod from solderdude, it is ultra easy, cheap, and effective (measured results by many people)
It solves the slight resonance at 5kHz. Not that it is dramatic in its stock form anyway.

with that mod those headphones measure in a stellar way.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #4,732 of 4,845
I'm really trying to love these and i do love them i finally fixed the ridiculous clamp on my ears but now the only problem is on a lot of songs the S sounds are harsh to me....i don't know if it's just me, the recording, or the headphones, but it drives me nuts. It's not on every song, but songs like Misty Mountain Hop by Led Zeppelin and Killer Queen by Queen sound bad in the S Vocal range

Jan 1, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #4,734 of 4,845
I'm really trying to love these and i do love them i finally fixed the ridiculous clamp on my ears but now the only problem is on a lot of songs the S sounds are harsh to me....i don't know if it's just me, the recording, or the headphones, but it drives me nuts. It's not on every song, but songs like Misty Mountain Hop by Led Zeppelin and Killer Queen by Queen sound bad in the S Vocal range
Led Zeppelin is recorded relatively bright and a bit harsh to begin with. This has been my experience anyways, as a lot of rock from the 70s and 80s is. But Zeppelin especially so.
This is why I moved to headphones with a moderately dark sound, but not overly so. The only fix for the 58X is to swap to Dekoni pads which will pull back frequencies in the upper mids and lower treble. You could also replace the inner felt with a thicker felt and see if that helps.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #4,735 of 4,845
Why not just equalize them?

I use the 58X with a Chord Mojo 2 and there is no grain or sibilance and that is unequalized. I do however pull the area from 200hz to 2khz down slightly for personal preference. (Neither is there sibilance through the Hegel HP stage).

Great Headphone for £130 delivered UK. In a similar vain to Grado's SR80X. Neither is perfect, both are a lot of fun for the money.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #4,737 of 4,845
These are not great headphones but they are not sibilant at all. Try them in a different setup and with other headphone amplifiers or dacs... Also, Queen does not sound that good on audiophile headphones after all. Try a Bose QC35 II with Queen.

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #4,738 of 4,845
These are not great headphones but they are not sibilant at all. Try them in a different setup and with other headphone amplifiers or dacs... Also, Queen does not sound that good on audiophile headphones after all. Try a Bose QC35 II with Queen.
These are not great headphones? I'm not sure what your frame of reference is, but most of the last 316 pages (and my personal experience) wouldn't agree with that statement. Are they TOTL cans? Certainly not. But they're on my ears at least a few times every week, and I think they are fantastic even not considering the price. When you add that in with the right source, Queen sounds pretty damn good (as well as everything else). But of course YMMV and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #4,739 of 4,845
Why not just equalize them?

I use the 58X with a Chord Mojo 2 and there is no grain or sibilance and that is unequalized. I do however pull the area from 200hz to 2khz down slightly for personal preference. (Neither is there sibilance through the Hegel HP stage).

Great Headphone for £130 delivered UK. In a similar vain to Grado's SR80X. Neither is perfect, both are a lot of fun for the money.
130£ and no taxes. I paid much more with everything included. 150$ initial price with stronger sterling but with custom fees and shipping much more. With 100£ at some point I could buy the 660s instead.

In any case, I love them. This headphone initially glorified in these pages then was a bit snobed, criticised mostly for the driver which we do not know from where exactly is coming from and now almost ignored.

I remember in the past they were reviewers that still preferred them to 660s no matter the money.

Now that the 660s is discontinued maybe will get it as 66X version through drop....

In any case, for music I vastly prefer them to all my other headphones except 6xx ( and that only with serious sources which I do not have the time to use anymore) so is only 58x for me nowadays and my upcoming review for the ifi go link will evolve only around this headphone which according to my opinion also scales very much.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #4,740 of 4,845
These are not great headphones? I'm not sure what your frame of reference is, but most of the last 316 pages (and my personal experience) wouldn't agree with that statement. Are they TOTL cans? Certainly not. But they're on my ears at least a few times every week, and I think they are fantastic even not considering the price. When you add that in with the right source, Queen sounds pretty damn good (as well as everything else). But of course YMMV and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
These are great (I have a marble version) headphones that I have had for a few years and I am going to upgrade them with a balanced cable 4.4mm Pentacon from Dekoni and maybe try a different tuning with Dekoni Elite Hybrid ear Pads.
I have many headphones and think I have a nice setup now. This is my opinion about my gear.
I can mention full-size headphones I have :
Audeze MM-500(recently bought)
Oppo Pm2
Audeze LCD 2 Fazor(2016)
2 X Bose QC35 II ( one is used by my 14-year kid)

My main desk headphone dac/amp is Hifiman EF400 .
I have also a Lake People G100 Final Edition headphone amp that I now use with my reference EMM LABS DAC2X V2 D/A Convertor (in my stereo setup).

I also had experience with a few other headphones that I sold because of comfort issues and slightly muddy or sibilant sound.
Hifiman is very picky with gear and sounds sibilant and I owned or tried HE-500, HE-500(rev. 1 and rev.2), HE-6(was the best sounding), Hifiman HE 1000SE (recently tried but preferred and bought Audeze MM-500).
My preferred Beyerdynamic headphone is DT880 600 Ohm edition ( I also had 250 Ohm version) that I owned a few years ago but sold because I bought the DT 1990 Pro. After a gear swap, DT 1990Pro became too stressful to listen to and was also sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back