Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 7, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #4,711 of 4,845
Sold my 58X a few weeks ago. Just couldn't get enough treble out of it, even with the front foam completely removed. I listen to classical/orchestral exclusively, a genre that seems to require a lot more treble than Sennheiser are prepared to supply. (Just type in "Best headphones for Classical" and you'll see all the brightest phones on the market listed). In the event I've moved to the Beyer DT990, and with a circlet of microfibre cloth over the driver I believe I've found my nirvana. I've been in the headphone game a loooong time and this is the best I've ever heard.
Nice, may this give you pleasure for a long time! Which dt990 variant did you get, there are so many. Beyerdynamic has a a very good midrange presentation on their headphones, somehow clear, silky, transparent and relaxed.
I find the dt990 to be an excellent classic headphone the same as HD6xy.
Also I do like classical music quite a bit on my HD58x with some treble added via EQ (2-3db for me).

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #4,712 of 4,845
Just heard about the curtain mod and removing the foam did seem to decongest the headphone overall. But I don't have sheer curtains or tea bags as I've seen from comments. But I do have a crazy amount of disposable face masks from the dark times. Works great IMO for those who are looking for a cheap and readily available alternative that's acoustically transparent.
1667986314121.png

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #4,716 of 4,845
I have the hd 600. Thinking if getting the 58x would be a good idea or not
I do not have the HD600, but I had the HD6XX before buying an HD58X. I use the HD 58X a lot---it is my main office headphone. My impression is that the HD58X is much easier to drive, so if you want the HD6XX to sound better than the HD58X, you need to invest in a very good amplifier. If your amplifier budget is limited, you will be happier with the HD58X. My current DACs and amplifiers are: Bravo V2 (upgraded with Gold Lion tube), Objective2, Audioquest Dragonfly (the original one), and a Donner EM11 DAC/AMP. The 58X sound best with the Audioquest and Dragonfly combination, but quite good even with the Donner EM11.

Nov 26, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #4,717 of 4,845
I do not have the HD600, but I had the HD6XX before buying an HD58X. I use the HD 58X a lot---it is my main office headphone. My impression is that the HD58X is much easier to drive, so if you want the HD6XX to sound better than the HD58X, you need to invest in a very good amplifier. If your amplifier budget is limited, you will be happier with the HD58X. My current DACs and amplifiers are: Bravo V2 (upgraded with Gold Lion tube), Objective2, Audioquest Dragonfly (the original one), and a Donner EM11 DAC/AMP. The 58X sound best with the Audioquest and Dragonfly combination, but quite good even with the Donner EM11.
The hd6xx don't sound as good coming from a USB dac like audioquest dragonfly compared to hd58x?

Nov 27, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #4,719 of 4,845
I love my 6XX and is a better headphone for sure but It sounds more resolving when i am using very good sources (dac and amp and in a very good chain). Straight out of the phone or with a simple Dac I prefer the HD58x. The HD58x scales also very well with better sources but not so much as 6XX.

For practical reasons my 6XX is always in the box and I am listening critically only with 58X these days. (And 4xx for movies with my TV)

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #4,721 of 4,845
Many folks here would say that these are the only HD Senns you need :wink:

Many folks here would say that these are the only HD Senns you need :wink:

Honestly don't think it matters that much, the HD6xx sounds more resolving than the hd58x, I would get the hd58x if you like bass more if not just get the 6xx

I love my 6XX and is a better headphone for sure but It sounds more resolving when i am using very good sources (dac and amp and in a very good chain). Straight out of the phone or with a simple Dac I prefer the HD58x. The HD58x scales also very well with better sources but not so much as 6XX.

For practical reasons my 6XX is always in the box and I am listening critically only with 58X these days. (And 4xx for movies with my TV)

I think of getting the hd58X only because it's said to be easier to drive than my HD600. But I don't know if the hd58x drivability is much different than the HD600.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #4,722 of 4,845
I think of getting the hd58X only because it's said to be easier to drive than my HD600. But I don't know if the hd58x drivability is much different than the HD600.
For me, the Senn HD6 variations are lots of fun. So adding the 58X, especially when on sale ($129 currently!) is worthwhile. However, I repeatedly prefer the 600/650, finding the 58X to be a bit too “bloomy” in the lower midrange, especially for piano.

I don’t find it’s drivability, in actual use, to be much different than the 300 ohm Senns.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #4,723 of 4,845

Senns HD58X have sensitivity at 104dB versus 97dB in case Senns HD600 and the difference between their impedance is 150 Ohms (150 vs 300 Ohms). I haven't compared them, but I think that HD 600 would be a bit more challenging to drive. Hope this helps, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back