Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 1, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #4,651 of 4,845
Upto 20 hours + per side / each cup roughly, longer depending on treatments...... Not very quick :triportsad: and I so dislike waiting, I'm old enough already......

Don't ask about custom hybrid pad developments lol......I have way too much time on my hands and being in-sane appears to help rofl.... Do Not ask about the pink Kanga leather lol....Will save me lying hahahaha....

early proto-type hybrid pad development

hce7AyT.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #4,652 of 4,845
How kooky does one have to be :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::alien:

objVlpZ.jpg

Stealth, simplicity, elegant......

pwcEiZv.jpg

Super boofy room extension mod

HkkU3Kg.jpg

May look like a small simple closed cup but there's quite a bit of advanced multi-layer meta-material resonance treatment happening hidden within, think of a dual layer secondary transmission line loading maze system with a primary Helmholtz resonating chamber deployed....Interesting.....Maybe early on-set madness also lol...wooohooo... Alien tech alert!!! :alien: hehehe

mwZ8El5.jpg
Thats very interesting.

What are the sonic characteristics ?

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #4,653 of 4,845
Thats very interesting.

What are the sonic characteristics ?
I've only got my old ears lol but to me they clean everything up a bit. They subtract/control-resonance more than having their own sonic signature., They are quite exposing of the driver's sound/tuning (pro/con) maybe a slight bump in lower mid-bass and better bottom end extension... May be some slight changes to staging/width but that happens whenever you close an area in, it's all good fun. I've been enjoying them.

Edit: To also add I don't use the thin foam oval disc filter/driver protection, I use a silk (Organza) micro-mesh screen.

Fk0jeqn.jpg

2nd Edit: But wait!!!! There's More !!! to also add; What appears at first glance to be a simple sealed closed back mod with a silly external stuck on logo may not be so simple, silly or just "stuck On" {have a hidden venting/porting printed semi plug-in } venting-through open infill, my logo...sneaky me....hehehe...yep, lots going on... I'm crazy did I say ? lol....wooohooo... That logo not just for pretty
Remember.....
objVlpZ.jpg

Now look closer upon inspection and photo explains more at work (hidden behind SW logo plug-in).... exposed micro breathe-able vented semi-in fill port without plug-in cover/attenuation.
VjsMzO2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #4,654 of 4,845
They subtract/control-resonance more than having their own sonic signature.,

That was my guess. It's not about what these mods inject to sound profile, but rather what they remove to make it more clear, like with speakers that couple with an accoustically great room.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 6, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4,655 of 4,845
Although I never have listen the zen dac both my HD58X and 6XX sound amazing from both my xdsd and xcan especially with a balanced cable. It is like the ifi products are made especially for the Sennheiser 6 series. Unbelievable synergy.

Although lately I am using the original cable and listening with my old Apple devices that have a headphone jack enjoying the new lossless mode.

As far as the Amazon hd service I did not like it at all, no comparison with tidal according to me. When I used it the signal changed bitrate on a fiber WiFi connection from hd to lower bitrate quite unexpectedly. The good think is because of this service the new max firestick has LDAC Bluetooth the best thing probably that happened to my life the last year...LOL

i Always thought that these headphones if they have smaller drivers than 660s as some people suspect they belong more to the 5 series. But know I am thinking that if these drivers are made in Ireland like any other 6 series and the 5 series drivers are NOT made in Ireland then these headphones might be more closer to the 660s no matter how more uglier these drivers look in comparison to 660s and then clearly are an amazing bargain.
I think its been established that the HD58x uses a modified hd660 driver. measurements sure seem to strongly suggest this

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #4,656 of 4,845
only 50 hours of burn in. For the $, they have no right to sound this good.
These are exactly like i thought they would be after reading the reviews. You guys described them perfectly. Neutral to a T. lacking nuance in the mids, but not that bad either. The bass is simply clearer/cleaner and better attack over 650. but the 650 mids have more plankton and its apparent. The treble on the 58x is more neutral and detailed without screwing the treble ala hd800 (too bright) or too dark (HD650). Sits firmly between the RS2x and HD650 both in term of neutrality and tonality and speed. Going by memory, the 58x also sits perfectly between the hd650 and hd800 both in neutrality, and tonality. I think hd800 are probably slower then 58x drivers?

Overall, very enjoyable, perfect all-rounder and ideal for budget gears. They are very versatile. Nothing can ever sound extremely bad, nor extremely good. This is a good and bad thing depending on system goal.

I did not expect that id enjoy them at all, but I really do. Heck, for some music, they are better then the HD650/RS2x.
Here's a example: dont laugh at the music choice (i did the test with my GF so I have to put music we both enjoy):
Tina Turner- whats love: the Grado were almost unbearable. The hd650 were ok and the 58X were the winner.
Dave matthews band- Crash: The grado wins by a mile. the amount of percussion detail is mindblowing here and the way the musician interact between each other is so fun and energetic and live. HD650 are dull here. hd58x. ok.
Fleetwood mac- Dream on: HD650 pulls away comfortably. HD58x: ok. Grado: great
Sweet time- Porter Robinson: 58x: ok, HD650: better, grado winner

as you can see, the HD58x are at least always ok. Sometime the RS2x can be too aggressive and sometime the 650 too dull.

They retain the 600 series smoothness: they can play very loud and still be smooth. Take the HD650, removes some mids magic/nuance/detail but adds little more speed, gives more neutral treble and cleaner/clearer bass.

I really wonder if some mods could help to push the mids more forward? This is where these cans basically only really fails

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #4,657 of 4,845
only 50 hours of burn in. For the $, they have no right to sound this good.
These are exactly like i thought they would be after reading the reviews. You guys described them perfectly. Neutral to a T. lacking nuance in the mids, but not that bad either. The bass is simply clearer/cleaner and better attack over 650. but the 650 mids have more plankton and its apparent. The treble on the 58x is more neutral and detailed without screwing the treble ala hd800 (too bright) or too dark (HD650). Sits firmly between the RS2x and HD650 both in term of neutrality and tonality and speed. Going by memory, the 58x also sits perfectly between the hd650 and hd800 both in neutrality, and tonality. I think hd800 are probably slower then 58x drivers?

Overall, very enjoyable, perfect all-rounder and ideal for budget gears. They are very versatile. Nothing can ever sound extremely bad, nor extremely good. This is a good and bad thing depending on system goal.

I did not expect that id enjoy them at all, but I really do. Heck, for some music, they are better then the HD650/RS2x.
Here's a example: dont laugh at the music choice (i did the test with my GF so I have to put music we both enjoy):
Tina Turner- whats love: the Grado were almost unbearable. The hd650 were ok and the 58X were the winner.
Dave matthews band- Crash: The grado wins by a mile. the amount of percussion detail is mindblowing here and the way the musician interact between each other is so fun and energetic and live. HD650 are dull here. hd58x. ok.
Fleetwood mac- Dream on: HD650 pulls away comfortably. HD58x: ok. Grado: great
Sweet time- Porter Robinson: 58x: ok, HD650: better, grado winner

as you can see, the HD58x are at least always ok. Sometime the RS2x can be too aggressive and sometime the 650 too dull.

They retain the 600 series smoothness: they can play very loud and still be smooth. Take the HD650, removes some mids magic/nuance/detail but adds little more speed, gives more neutral treble and cleaner/clearer bass.

I really wonder if some mods could help to push the mids more forward? This is where these cans basically only really fails
Agreed! I own the entire 600 series and there are songs and equipment pairings or situations where I prefer it to the others. If you want to make them even better try the curtain mod. Do a search on this forum and you'll see the video how to do it. It's very cheap, quick, and reversible. Makes a pretty big difference to my ears especially with upper mids and treble. Might give you just what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #4,658 of 4,845
I have just recently bought both 58x and 6xx I will get the headphones by the end of January (A friend is coming from states) I was wondering how they will pair with my Woo Audio WA8? Has anyone tried this combo or have any idea about they synergy? It's a tube amp but a lot of reviewer's say it doesn't have the tube sound lol but for me they fixed my 400i which I couldn't listen on a solid state or any other amp but on WA8 they sing. Do I need to consider buying a solid-state amp like THX 789+a Dac or it will work fine with my current setup? I would really appreciate the help as I can't do much I haven't had a chance to listen and that friend might bring along the amp if I order now.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #4,659 of 4,845
Haven't tried either with the Woo amp but have plenty of experience with both with OTL tube and tube hybrid amps. They both sound fantastic with tubes in any topology. Chances are they are both going to sound great on the Woo.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #4,660 of 4,845
Haven't tried either with the Woo amp but have plenty of experience with both with OTL tube and tube hybrid amps. They both sound fantastic with tubes in any topology. Chances are they are both going to sound great on the Woo.
Thanks that's good to hear it's a proper class A amp and OTL tube just portable. In another thread someone mentioned using it with a 650 which is essentially a 6xx with drop branding so that's sorted now 58x is left but I think it will be fine as well.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #4,662 of 4,845
Dec 27, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #4,663 of 4,845
With current prices on Drop, which one is better choice? HD58x for 129USD or HD6xx for 179USD?
Depends on what you like. They’re both at a bargain price at their regular price, and now even more so. If you have the money to spend, get both and listen for yourself; you might find yourself preferring each for different genres or listening scenarios.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #4,664 of 4,845
Yep. There is no right answer here. They’re both brilliant headphones.
If you want something that doesn’t roll off too early in the bass and furthermore aren’t that hung up on perfect neutrality in the mids..well then go for the 58X.
If you focus more on midrange realism and natural sound and don’t care too much about subbass..well then go for the 6XX.
Either way; both of these cans are terrific..and at least for my money head and shoulders above many headphones that cost 10-20 times as much.

Dec 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #4,665 of 4,845
With current prices on Drop, which one is better choice? HD58x for 129USD or HD6xx for 179USD?
Putting sound signatures aside for a moment and speaking strictly about power requirements, HD58X are more portable friendly but don’t scale as high as the 6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back