Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 28, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #4,666 of 4,845
If you use it with a dap buy the HD58X, it's easier to drive, if you use the headphone with a good amp on the desktop definitely the HD6XX. Unless you have both and compare side by side you will be happy buying one or the other depending on what your needs and equipment level.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #4,667 of 4,845
Been using these for about a year with the Fiio BTR5 (using balanced output over Hart cables, fed lowly bluetooth from iphone / Deezer hifi) as my portable rig, and have been extremely happy with it. Increasingly i find myself using these on my home desktop setup in preference to the Sundaras that live there full time as well (driven by Monoprice THX DAC/Amp).

However, strictly in terms of comfort, i do suffer / endure the stock velour pads (rather than love them). Is the Dekoni sheepskin the way to go if i want to try something else (and if so, fenestrated vs non?). Or are there any other good non-velour recommendations?

Enjoy these so much that i have no hesitation spending an additional 50% of the original purchase price on a pair of replacement pads (which objectively seems crazy) if it will solve the one thing i dislike about them (without changing sound signature materially….)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #4,668 of 4,845
Been using these for about a year with the Fiio BTR5 (using balanced output over Hart cables, fed lowly bluetooth from iphone / Deezer hifi) as my portable rig, and have been extremely happy with it. Increasingly i find myself using these on my home desktop setup in preference to the Sundaras that live there full time as well (driven by Monoprice THX DAC/Amp). However, strictly in terms of comfort, i do suffer / endure the stock velour pads (rather than love them). Is the Dekoni sheepskin the way to go if i want to try something else (and if so, fenestrated vs non?). Or are there any other good non-velour recommendations? Enjoy these so much that i have no hesitation spending an additional 50% of the original purchase price on a pair of replacement pads (which objectively seems crazy) if it will solve the one thing i dislike about them (without changing sound signature materially….) I got the Drop fenestrated sheepskin pads and it improved the bass response quite a bit. More comfortable than stock pads.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #4,669 of 4,845
Is the Dekoni sheepskin the way to go if i want to try something else (and if so, fenestrated vs non?).
The Elite Velour pads are a bit thicker in depth, memory foam. So if you prefer to stick with velour, you might find them more comfortable than the stock pads.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #4,670 of 4,845
The Elite Velour pads are a bit thicker in depth, memory foam. So if you prefer to stick with velour, you might find them more comfortable than the stock pads.

Thanks - it's actually the velour I'm trying to get away from! For some reason I just don't like the feel (for my comfort, I'd even prefer the old itchy Grado pads from the SR60 / 80!).

Although concede it's possible that the velour on those may be nicer than the stock pad, and/or that thicker/plusher memory foam may change the feel on ear.

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #4,671 of 4,845
Thanks - it's actually the velour I'm trying to get away from! For some reason I just don't like the feel (for my comfort, I'd even prefer the old itchy Grado pads from the SR60 / 80!).

Although concede it's possible that the velour on those may be nicer than the stock pad, and/or that thicker/plusher memory foam may change the feel on ear.
They are more comfy than the stock pads - I can personally attest to that. They also don't seem to get as hot, my guess is the different memory foam. I'm a huge fan of the Dekonis.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #4,672 of 4,845
Is anyone using the choice suede or velour elite pads from Dekoni with your 58X? My friend and co-worker really liked my 58X, so I gave them to him. Now after a year plus, I think I want to grab another one.
I was using the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads with mine. With the stock pads, I found the upper mids and lower treble just a touch or so too bright and splashy. The fenestrated sheepskin pads were nice and definitely helped, but unfortunately the headphones became a tad darker than what I desired.
So I guess I'm looking for that happy medium. Any other pad suggestions are welcome.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #4,674 of 4,845
Feb 19, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #4,675 of 4,845
These past few weeks I’ve had quite the eyeopening experiences - much thanks to a few friends of mine who are just as mad about headphones as I am. One can I’ve been absolutely dying to try out is the ZMF Aeolus. So when my friend invited me over to see/hear his new(slightly used) Aeolus...well I was Johnny-on-the-spot...and then some!
First time I tried it I was both very enamoured with the dark chocolaty flavour..yet for some reason kept reminding me of something...and then it dawned on me a couple of days back whilst pulling this little Sennie beauty out of the drawer: the Aeolus is basically a different take on the HD58X!
So I brought the Sennie with me last night to a/b the two and came away with quite the surprise:
To my ears the Sennheiser is the better sounding headphone. Apart from the low lows where the ZMF has it beat, the HD58X simply sounds more linear. It is still a warm sounding headphone but the mids and treble just sound more natural and true to life ler my ears.
The bigger cups and pads of the Aeolus does indeed bring in a whole other and bigger experience that is really quite something..and it looks far better than just about any other headphone I’ve had in my hands...but it’s not as comfortable as the Sennie and does not sound as good imho.
The odd part to all of this? I somehow still want an Aeolus!!! What a beauty.
But yeah...don’t knock this little cheapo-6 series underdog. It is a brilliant headphone and presents just about the best bang for your buck:)
Thanks for the interesting observation. If you had to pick one, which one would you be able to do listen for longer before listening fatigue sets in ? In other words, which one would have less harsh treble ? Thanks.

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #4,676 of 4,845
I checked tried 5 different replacement pads for the HD58x. Stock sennheiser pads really do need to be replaced fast as they start to roll off the treble and bass, I only found out after comparing it to other headphones. Though I think sennheiser makes newer stock pads now that have a clear backing, mine has the older stock pads. Anyways swapping the pads I found much more treble and detail to be found as well as improved bass response compared to older stock pads!

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #4,677 of 4,845
I checked tried 5 different replacement pads for the HD58x. Stock sennheiser pads really do need to be replaced fast as they start to roll off the treble and bass, I only found out after comparing it to other headphones. Though I think sennheiser makes newer stock pads now that have a clear backing, mine has the older stock pads. Anyways swapping the pads I found much more treble and detail to be found as well as improved bass response compared to older stock pads!

Yeah, the pads are a really big part of the sound on the HD58X and HD6-series Sennheisers. I swap to new original pads annually before they degrade too much. I haven’t tried the new pads with clear backing yet though, I hope they sound the same as the old ones :)

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #4,678 of 4,845

I was using the hybrid pads with mine. I found the treble could be a little peaky with the stock pads, especially with poorly mastered rock and metal. The hybrid pads helped with that, but made the sound just a little darker than I liked.
Would you say that the fenestrated sheepskin pads strike a happy medium in the upper mids and lower treble? Like somewhere in between the stock pads and the hybrid pads?

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #4,679 of 4,845
I was using the hybrid pads with mine. I found the treble could be a little peaky with the stock pads, especially with poorly mastered rock and metal. The hybrid pads helped with that, but made the sound just a little darker than I liked.
Would you say that the fenestrated sheepskin pads strike a happy medium in the upper mids and lower treble? Like somewhere in between the stock pads and the hybrid pads?
yep the fenestrated is definitely the happy medium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back