Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #4,564 of 4,845
Can someone who owns, or has owned the 58x confirm this is fairly accurate?

I found it on an old reddit thread from a few years ago. I wanna jump from HD 599 to 58x (i think ..) Main use will be fun single player and mp gaming mainly (nothing competitive), EDM music, and movies. I don't wanna hear every single detail of sounds like the 560s appears to do well, I just want something casual, laid back and fun but with some punch to it. Are the 58x a good choice for this?

Thank you :bird:

I would agree it is very versatile but have to say perform the curtain mod (look it up here on Head-Fi and on internet in general, it's easily found) and they become great for music and movies! Haven't tried it gaming admittedly. I much prefer the 58X (especially after curtain mod) to the other cans in the 5XX family (not counting 580 as they are in the 600 family).

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #4,565 of 4,845
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #4,566 of 4,845
Agree 1000%
That pretty much describes the 58x, I think.
Thats great to hear from multiple people! I'm even more excited now. I placed the order for them earlier this morning so now its just the waiting game ... Thanks for all the advice and taking the time to help out a new user :hatching_chick:

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #4,567 of 4,845
I would agree it is very versatile but have to say perform the curtain mod (look it up here on Head-Fi and on internet in general, it's easily found) and they become great for music and movies! Haven't tried it gaming admittedly. I much prefer the 58X (especially after curtain mod) to the other cans in the 5XX family (not counting 580 as they are in the 600 family).
Sick I will try them out stock first, then do the mod a bit later so I can try and see(hear) the difference! Crazy that the little bit of foam can alter the sound that much. Appreciate the comment on how to improve them, and just overall how much you seem to like your pair as well :)

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #4,568 of 4,845
No worries. In the case of the curtain mod it's simply replacing the foam inserts in the cups that's closest to the ears with shear curtain material. It takes all of $2 and 5 minutes of time to do. The 58X just may be the best bang for buck in all of headphone land imho. They certainly have to be up there. I have the 600s, 6XXs and have a set of 660s on the way. I listen to the 58X more than I do the 600 and 6XX. We'll see if that changes once the 660s arrive but to date I prefer the 58Xs in many instances.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #4,569 of 4,845
I know this is an old post but I just got a Valhalla today. I tried it on the HD600s, HD6XXs, and the 58Xs about 45-50 minutes each so far. They all sounded great on the Valhalla but to my surprise the 58Xs sounded the best with it. Anybody who thinks they don't scale as well as its brothers needs to hear them on an otl tube amp. To my ears the 58X scaled better than the other two. Admittedly I have often thought the 6XXs and the 600s scaled better than the 58x on the other solid state and tube hybrid amps I have but it was a totally different case on the Valhalla. The synergy between the two is amazing.and I can't wait to listen to this setup some more.

Old post, but I must have felt your calling - this is my first time logging on in years! I am glad you are enjoying the Valhalla 2. I still love the **** out of mine and I don't ever see myself getting rid of it or "upgrading" at this point.

Next step is to add a Schiit Loki to your chain and experience how amazingly the HD58x responds to EQing ("Let the bass cannon kick it").

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #4,570 of 4,845
Old post, but I must have felt your calling - this is my first time logging on in years! I am glad you are enjoying the Valhalla 2. I still love the **** out of mine and I don't ever see myself getting rid of it or "upgrading" at this point.

Next step is to add a Schiit Loki to your chain and experience how amazingly the HD58x responds to EQing ("Let the bass cannon kick it").
Thank you! Glad you are back! I actually have the first generation Valhalla which is a little bit of a drag because you can't roll different tube types with it (unlike the V2 and I literally have a shoe box full of different 6DJ8/6922 tubes). You can roll different 6N1P and 6N6P tubes with it however. I replaced the circa mid 80s stock tubes with a pair of Soviet military 6N1P from 1962 and 6N6Ps from 1967. The difference was huge! Much warmer and more 3d soundstage with the 60s era tubes. Really loving it!

I use a LG35 as my source streaming Tidal (fed into different dacs) which has a built in EQ function. The built in EQ actually works quite well. I have entertained picking up the Loki but have just went with the built in EQ to date. Happy listening!

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #4,571 of 4,845
I found a good deal for an almost new HD 58X at 120 €.

I have Hifiman Ananda as my main headphones right now.

Would HD 58X add something to my Ananda, or would it be a downgrade from all points of view?

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #4,572 of 4,845
Myself personally believe it would be worth picking up. I don't have the Anandas but do have the Sundaras and still regularly enjoy the 58Xs. While the Anandas are going to be the technically superior phone the 58Xs will give you a different perspective on things (think classic 600 family intimate presentation). They are a very fun phone to listen to and are a very good all around phone that pretty much sound great with any genre you throw at it. Also throw in their light weight and comfort and the fact that they are easily driven and they make for a great portable option for an open back phone. I like having different phones to get different perspectives on things so my vote is get them. You could always sell for pretty much what you bought them for if you don't like them.

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #4,573 of 4,845
I found a good deal for an almost new HD 58X at 120 €.

I have Hifiman Ananda as my main headphones right now.

Would HD 58X add something to my Ananda, or would it be a downgrade from all points of view?
There is a great risk that you like the tuning so much that you are going to abandon the Ananda...

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #4,574 of 4,845
I've got both Ananda and 58X, and both have their uses. I use the 58X for gaming occasionally and more for being mobile around the house with an ES100. Without looking at FR graphs, I can say the low end quantity might be fairly close, but the Ananda is certainly cleaner. 58X has some of that famous Senn midrange, and I prefer Ananda treble, more lively and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back