Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
May 28, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #4,577 of 4,845
Another dumb question:

How hard am I supposed to pinch the cable while pulling it out? Will it damage it if I don't pinch it hard enough while pulling it out?

Thanks in advance!

May 28, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #4,578 of 4,845
Another dumb question:

How hard am I supposed to pinch the cable while pulling it out? Will it damage it if I don't pinch it hard enough while pulling it out?

Thanks in advance!
All my cables have a molded portion at the top, so I'm not sure what you are pinching. Keep hold of that and not the cable and it should pull straight down and out.

May 29, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #4,579 of 4,845
All my cables have a molded portion at the top, so I'm not sure what you are pinching. Keep hold of that and not the cable and it should pull straight down and out.
Thanks, got a bit confused from this video

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #4,581 of 4,845
I would agree it is very versatile but have to say perform the curtain mod (look it up here on Head-Fi and on internet in general, it's easily found) and they become great for music and movies! Haven't tried it gaming admittedly. I much prefer the 58X (especially after curtain mod) to the other cans in the 5XX family (not counting 580 as they are in the 600 family).
I had buyers remorse at first with the HD 58x's until I removed those damn foam pads in front of the driver. What a difference! They came alive. I'll be doing the curtain mod also. Now they have that high end sparkle these old ears desire. I prefered the sound of the HD-598'S better before removing the foam from the HD 58x's Jubilee's.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #4,582 of 4,845
I had buyers remorse at first with the HD 58x's until I removed those damn foam pads in front of the driver. What a difference! They came alive. I'll be doing the curtain mod also. It has the high end sparkle these old ears desire. I prefered the sound HD-598'S better before removing the foam from the HD 58x's Jubilee's.
That's great to hear! Let us know what you think after the curtain mod.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #4,583 of 4,845
I had buyers remorse at first with the HD 58x's until I removed those damn foam pads in front of the driver. What a difference! They came alive. I'll be doing the curtain mod also. It has the high end sparkle these old ears desire. I prefered the sound of the HD-598'S better before removing the foam from the HD 58x's Jubilee's.

what is it like not having as much highs? Some of the older guys I work with drop off after 6k but the graph only goes up to 8k

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #4,584 of 4,845
Why do certain people in this thread consider the HD58x part of the 5 series? Every review I have read says it is part of the 6 series as it was based on the HD580, which is part of the 6 series as well. It uses the same housing and parts as all the other 6 series too!

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4,586 of 4,845
what is it like not having as much highs? Some of the older guys I work with drop off after 6k but the graph only goes up to 8k
I'm talking 10-20 Khz area being non existant before removing the material.
It bumbed that range up a couple of db. My hearing is okay but up to around 17 kHz.
It was like listening to the oceans waves with your hands slighly covering your ears is the best I could describe. Highs were muffled.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #4,587 of 4,845
That's great to hear! Let us know what you think after the curtain mod.
I definitely will report back. Right now after removing the foam my EQ settings look like this. I'm hoping for more of a flat curve after the curtain mod but they sound great right now.
Screenshot_20210604-155713_SoundAlive.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #4,588 of 4,845
Why do certain people in this thread consider the HD58x part of the 5 series? Every review I have read says it is part of the 6 series as it was based on the HD580, which is part of the 6 series as well. It uses the same housing and parts as all the other 6 series too!
Yes the parts are similar to the HG6xx series. It is not based on the HD580 which was an all plastic version of the HD600, both having the same 300 ohm driver.

The HD58x is closest to the HD660s, both of which have a 150 ohm driver....reviews vary as to which sounds the best, but one can sure save some $ w/HD58x.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #4,590 of 4,845
I've had my 58x for about a month now and absolutely love them! I use them between 4 to 10 hours a day if I have the free time for gaming, movies and a ton of music, including; classical, rap/hiphop, old punk and metal, electronica and pop. The great thing I found with them, is that even poorly mastered music or old stuff thats just bad quality still sounds great on them. FLAC or 320k music on them really stands out for clarity and crispness, and they feel really "alive" and "energetic/energized" listening to music. Gaming on them is VERY enjoyable and the insane amount of details and imaging is out of this world, especially on intense games like BFV.

I've set up Foobar2000 with a metric crap ton of music, and now enjoy them even more with just massive playlists of various genres autoplaying throughout the day.

Thanks for helping me choose the 58x and also recommending Foobar2000. I have zero urge to want any other headphones, nor do I even want to EQ them or mod them in any way. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back