Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #4,591 of 4,845
Recently been experimenting with something called fo.q ta102 tape. Used it to modify my Sony Z7m2 with phenomenal results so I thought I'd try it on my other headphones.

Just a little background info on this material from the manufacturer. "‘fo.Q’ is a product applying materials developed with the support of JST (Japan Science and Technology Agency). Vibrational energy is converted to electric energy, and finally to heat energy, enabling efficient absorption. There are no rubber or heavy metal overtones, and efficient attenuation of the finest vibrations, considered difficult to remove up to now, promise you the purest and clearest tones"

It is not cheap at about $50-60 ordered from Japan. I know it seems ridiculous that such a thing could produce such drastic results. I was skeptical when someone recommended this but after seeing what it did to improve my Sonys, I had some left over and wanted to see it could do with the 58x.

There are quite alot of changes, the graininess in the upper mids/lower treble around 3-4k is about 90% removed, there is an increase in clarity, detail, soundstage, imaging. Bass is about the same but cleaner and tighter with better texture and detail. Basically, it becomes a better version of itself.
2021-06-257.jpg
2021-06-27.jpg

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #4,593 of 4,845
Where is exactly the mod? Looks like factory condition.
Lol, the black dots. I used a hole punch to cut out the dots and the 2 squares on the driver.

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #4,595 of 4,845
Recently been experimenting with something called fo.q ta102 tape. Used it to modify my Sony Z7m2 with phenomenal results so I thought I'd try it on my other headphones.

Just a little background info on this material from the manufacturer. "‘fo.Q’ is a product applying materials developed with the support of JST (Japan Science and Technology Agency). Vibrational energy is converted to electric energy, and finally to heat energy, enabling efficient absorption. There are no rubber or heavy metal overtones, and efficient attenuation of the finest vibrations, considered difficult to remove up to now, promise you the purest and clearest tones"

It is not cheap at about $50-60 ordered from Japan. I know it seems ridiculous that such a thing could produce such drastic results. I was skeptical when someone recommended this but after seeing what it did to improve my Sonys, I had some left over and wanted to see it could do with the 58x.

There are quite alot of changes, the graininess in the upper mids/lower treble around 3-4k is about 90% removed, there is an increase in clarity, detail, soundstage, imaging. Bass is about the same but cleaner and tighter with better texture and detail. Basically, it becomes a better version of itself.
2021-06-257.jpg2021-06-27.jpg
Is this material similar to sorbothane?
Damping the interior of cups isn't new, this is just another twist.

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #4,596 of 4,845
How they affect open back cans? Miracle...
The plastic in headphones vibrates, if you can reduce these vibrations, you can affect the sound.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #4,597 of 4,845
Is this material similar to sorbothane?
Damping the interior of cups isn't new, this is just another twist.
Should be very similar to sorbothane but I've never tried that so I don't know the difference.

I think the difference is the fo.q ta-102 material is thinner at 1mm, its slightly conductive and converts to electricity then to heat while sorbothane converts directly to heat and is not conductive.

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #4,600 of 4,845
I was thinking of the HD6xx, went to drop to look at them & saw the HD58x on sale for the $129 price. Not a difficult decision. They're replacing my old HD580 Precisions of all things.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #4,602 of 4,845
But difficult to me, they are not the same.
@Virgil, Correct the HD580 had the same driver as the HD600, just more plastic. The HD58x is the lower impedance easier to drive HP, closer to the HD660 in that respect.

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #4,603 of 4,845
But difficult to me, they are not the same.
I should've added it wasn't really an either/or just that $129 was a good price. I'm not opposed to getting the HD6xx at all but I'll probably wait (I bought the DT17xx Go as well--it was $99 off--should be here Tues). A bit confused as to the differences w/6xx to be honest but there's a lot of threads on it I'll look at.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #4,604 of 4,845
Maybe this topic has been done to death but I’ve read in a lot of places that the 58X doesn’t really need an amp… I just have to say that this is NOT my experience. I mean, it sounds good through the Apple dongles or the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro etc., but I just plugged in my new Schiit stack and man do these babies sing off them. Far smoother, fuller, more controlled sound. My experience has mainly been in IEMs up until now, and I almost didn’t believe in source scaling (hence my budget DAC/amps despite having owned much pricier units). Well, I sure do now. I did not at all expect such a huge difference, especially seeing as I opted for the 58X rather than the 6XX (helped by the recent sale, though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t still struggling with the decision).

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #4,605 of 4,845
Maybe this topic has been done to death but I’ve read in a lot of places that the 58X doesn’t really need an amp… I just have to say that this is NOT my experience. I mean, it sounds good through the Apple dongles or the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro etc., but I just plugged in my new Schiit stack and man do these babies sing off them. Far smoother, fuller, more controlled sound. My experience has mainly been in IEMs up until now, and I almost didn’t believe in source scaling (hence my budget DAC/amps despite having owned much pricier units). Well, I sure do now. I did not at all expect such a huge difference, especially seeing as I opted for the 58X rather than the 6XX (helped by the recent sale, though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t still struggling with the decision).
You're exactly right in my experience. While the 58X is usable with most sources, it scales well with power and sounds better when it has some push behind it. It doesn't take, for example, the full power of my Burson Playmate to make it sing...the Qudelix 5k or my HiBy R5 is just fine. And balanced is the way to go - if not for the technical reasons, then for the greater power off those same sources when run balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back