Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #4,322 of 4,845
Hmm... I'm fairly certain that the cable that came with my HD 58X is wonky. Right side connector has out-of-phase/polarity flipped (not matching the connector markings). I switched to one that came with HD 6XX and it doesn't feel like stereo image is messing with my head any more. Also it felt like the stereo image was tilted left.

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #4,323 of 4,845
Hmm... I'm fairly certain that the cable that came with my HD 58X is wonky. Right side connector has out-of-phase/polarity flipped (not matching the connector markings). I switched to one that came with HD 6XX and it doesn't feel like stereo image is messing with my head any more. Also it felt like the stereo image was tilted left.
That's not something I've ever heard of, but I guess it's possible. The cable ends are keyed so they only go in the right way. I'd contact Drop, they usually make things right. I have a balanced cable on mine, but I didn't have an issue with the stock one.

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #4,324 of 4,845
That's not something I've ever heard of, but I guess it's possible. The cable ends are keyed so they only go in the right way. I'd contact Drop, they usually make things right. I have a balanced cable on mine, but I didn't have an issue with the stock one.
The cables themselves may be wired wrongly (or it was some kind of special tired ear placebo case, which actually could be the case...). I've replaced my HD 6XX cable with the original 3m cable. I've been mainly using HD 6XX which I got shortly after HD 58X. Besides, my HD 58X is sub 5000 batch so rather old (so it's too late now).

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #4,325 of 4,845
The cables themselves may be wired wrongly (or it was some kind of special tired ear placebo case, which actually could be the case...). I've replaced my HD 6XX cable with the original 3m cable. I've been mainly using HD 6XX which I got shortly after HD 58X. Besides, my HD 58X is sub 5000 batch so rather old (so it's too late now).
I had a 650 that was quieter on the right side than the left, and I found out it was the earpads that were causing it. One pad was more deformed than the other, so when I switched the left and right pads, the imbalance went from the right side to the left side. I purchased new pads and the issue went away. That's my experience anyway.

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #4,326 of 4,845
I had a 650 that was quieter on the right side than the left, and I found out it was the earpads that were causing it. One pad was more deformed than the other, so when I switched the left and right pads, the imbalance went from the right side to the left side. I purchased new pads and the issue went away. That's my experience anyway.
Interesting.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #4,328 of 4,845
Wanting to try some new pads. Can't decide between the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin, and the Dekoni elite hybrid. From what I've gathered, the hybrids may make the 58X sound a little more neutral, while the fenestrated sheepskin may improve the Soundstage and reduce reflections. Anybody tried either or both?

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #4,329 of 4,845
Wanting to try some new pads. Can't decide between the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin, and the Dekoni elite hybrid. From what I've gathered, the hybrids may make the 58X sound a little more neutral, while the fenestrated sheepskin may improve the Soundstage and reduce reflections. Anybody tried either or both?
I have the hybrids, and they are fantastic. They have the fenestrated insides and I think they are a great improvement from the stock pads. The biggest change for me is that they're thicker than stock and my ears don't touch the drivers. But I think they also help the sound.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #4,330 of 4,845
I want to report that I have/had also similar experience with my 6XX not sure what was causing it, I assumed that the drivers where not matched perfectly.

Hmm driver mismatch is possible, Sennheiser has pretty good tolerances but I'm sure some drivers end up further from baseline than others and as far as I know they only do driver matching for the 650 and up, not lower in their line-up (not sure about the 6XX since it's basically a 650)

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #4,331 of 4,845
Hmm driver mismatch is possible, Sennheiser has pretty good tolerances but I'm sure some drivers end up further from baseline than others and as far as I know they only do driver matching for the 650 and up, not lower in their line-up (not sure about the 6XX since it's basically a 650)
Sennheiser may have stricter channel matching for higher models, but the 58X still has very good channel matching:
fr-2e-versie.png

This is from DIY Audio Heaven.
I saw another graph that shows similar consistency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 13, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #4,332 of 4,845
Sennheiser may have stricter channel matching for higher models, but the 58X still has very good channel matching:
fr-2e-versie.png

This is from DIY Audio Heaven.
I saw another graph that shows similar consistency.

I'm sure they do generally, I bet their manufacturing tolerances on drivers is pretty tight, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that some units aren't as well matched as others

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #4,333 of 4,845
I have the hybrids, and they are fantastic. They have the fenestrated insides and I think they are a great improvement from the stock pads. The biggest change for me is that they're thicker than stock and my ears don't touch the drivers. But I think they also help the sound.
Can you briefly describe what changes to the sound you're hearing? I'd really appreciate it

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #4,334 of 4,845
Can you briefly describe what changes to the sound you're hearing? I'd really appreciate it
It's been a while, but I'll try to remember (and summarize). I started with the hybrids on my AKGs, which they had a more significant sound impact on.

I can't quantify how much of the changes I noticed were due to the difference in pad materials or the fact that there was more distance between my ears and the drivers on the Jubilees. I noticed that the bass is a little more rounded, and there was a slight improvement in the bass extension. I also noticed a small reduction in the upper treble, which was a little glaring at times with the stock pads on certain tracks. Again, it's not a night and day change with the 58xs. They're also more comfortable on my ears, and a lot cooler than the stock all velour pads. I couldn't wear those for long periods of time without getting too hot.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #4,335 of 4,845
It's been a while, but I'll try to remember (and summarize). I started with the hybrids on my AKGs, which they had a more significant sound impact on.

I can't quantify how much of the changes I noticed were due to the difference in pad materials or the fact that there was more distance between my ears and the drivers on the Jubilees. I noticed that the bass is a little more rounded, and there was a slight improvement in the bass extension. I also noticed a small reduction in the upper treble, which was a little glaring at times with the stock pads on certain tracks. Again, it's not a night and day change with the 58xs. They're also more comfortable on my ears, and a lot cooler than the stock all velour pads. I couldn't wear those for long periods of time without getting too hot.
Thank you. That's essentially what I'm after, but I've read some comments stating that they muddy up the mid bass. I'm okay with them making the 58X sound a little more dark and distant, but just a bit. I do find them just a touch to forward and slightly aggressive. Are you hearing any of these things I'm describing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back