Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Feb 13, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #4,336 of 4,845
Thank you. That's essentially what I'm after, but I've read some comments stating that they muddy up the mid bass. I'm okay with them making the 58X sound a little more dark and distant, but just a bit. I do find them just a touch to forward and slightly aggressive. Are you hearing any of these things I'm describing?
I didn't find the Dekonis to muddy up the mid-bass at all, but YMMV. I wouldn't call them dark or distant now, more warm with a little more bass. The bass might have a little bloom, but I'm OK with that.

I did find the stock pads to make the sound a little harsh on the top end, and the hybrids fixed that for me. Of course I've since tweaked things on the R5 and ES100 so I'm not getting a headache with any of my cans or IEMs from excessive treble since I'm prone to getting fatigue from too much of it. Sparkle is OK for me, not piercing. But I run the Jubilees without any EQ through my xDuoo BT unit (not the XD-05, which I also have) when I'm playing drums and they are nowhere near sibilant or shrill.

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #4,337 of 4,845
I didn't find the Dekonis to muddy up the mid-bass at all, but YMMV. I wouldn't call them dark or distant now, more warm with a little more bass. The bass might have a little bloom, but I'm OK with that.

I did find the stock pads to make the sound a little harsh on the top end, and the hybrids fixed that for me. Of course I've since tweaked things on the R5 and ES100 so I'm not getting a headache with any of my cans or IEMs from excessive treble since I'm prone to getting fatigue from too much of it. Sparkle is OK for me, not piercing. But I run the Jubilees without any EQ through my xDuoo BT unit (not the XD-05, which I also have) when I'm playing drums and they are nowhere near sibilant or shrill.
Cool. Just ordered a pair. Thank you

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #4,339 of 4,845
I was going to pickup a pair of these to wear while studying, as I find the HD series to be super comfortable while looking down at a book. I've had the HD6XX before and it was a bit too laid back for myself and semi boring sounding on livelier track. I was hoping the HD58x would serve me better in this manner. My question is, would my Schiit Asgard 3 be too much power for the HD58x? I can run it in low gain mode. But it does output a crap ton of power.

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #4,340 of 4,845
I was going to pickup a pair of these to wear while studying, as I find the HD series to be super comfortable while looking down at a book. I've had the HD6XX before and it was a bit too laid back for myself and semi boring sounding on livelier track. I was hoping the HD58x would serve me better in this manner. My question is, would my Schiit Asgard 3 be too much power for the HD58x? I can run it in low gain mode. But it does output a crap ton of power.

It would likely be a great fit. They are much more fun than the HD6XX, in my experience. Nice all all round headphone for a great price. I find they have pretty good clamp though. Asgard 3 will be great with lots of headroom. You probably won't get past 12:00 on low gain, unless you are a hardcore head banger. :relaxed:

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #4,341 of 4,845
It would likely be a great fit. They are much more fun than the HD6XX, in my experience. Nice all all round headphone for a great price. I find they have pretty good clamp though. Asgard 3 will be great with lots of headroom. You probably won't get past 12:00 on low gain, unless you are a hardcore head banger. :relaxed:

Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a go. The clamp wasn't too much of an issue for me as I have a small head. I find my Mr Speakers Aeon shifts a bit forward when I have my head down reading. So I think these would be better for reading / studying.

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #4,342 of 4,845
Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a go. The clamp wasn't too much of an issue for me as I have a small head. I find my Mr Speakers Aeon shifts a bit forward when I have my head down reading. So I think these would be better for reading / studying.

They are a nice all rounder, with some bass kick. I bought mine used, but even if you buy new and aren't thrilled they are very easy to move on with a small loss. I am NOT a big Sennheiser fan, but these are, IMO, a killer deal in entry level Hi-Fi, if there is such a thing.:L3000:

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #4,343 of 4,845
They are a nice all rounder, with some bass kick. I bought mine used, but even if you buy new and aren't thrilled they are very easy to move on with a small loss. I am NOT a big Sennheiser fan, but these are, IMO, a killer deal in entry level Hi-Fi, if there is such a thing.:L3000:

Great! Something is nice about entry level Hi-Fi. Even though I have a pair of Mr Speakers Aeon and a pair of 6XX before. I do find myself reaching for my Koss Porta Pros often, as sometimes high end sounding headphones can be a bit too revealing for me. So maybe the sound signature of the HD58x would be more to my liking. It's interesting...

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #4,344 of 4,845
Now using the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads on my 58X, with the inner felt pads removed. With the felt behind the pads, they were a little darker than I'd prefer. Figured I'd try removing the felt before putting the original pads back on. Now I have something slightly more dark and cold than stock form, but not overly so. I had to EQ the mid bass down a bit, but other than that, I didn't feel the need to move anything else around. My only complaint is that electric guitars don't have the same amount of crunch and forwardness. High mids / lower treble did take a bit of a hit, but that's kinda what I was after.

Mar 14, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #4,345 of 4,845

Same experience here, a good match for the Asgard 3. I have more expensive headphones but listen to the HD58X a lot - easy to listen to and lots of fun.

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #4,347 of 4,845
Keep in mind that while the 58X does sound a bit livelier and dynamic than the 6XX, it’s not a drastic difference, at least to me. You are still getting a very similar midrange and treble performance. The 58X does sound snappier and tighter to me, so I do prefer the 58X over the 6XX.

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #4,348 of 4,845
Keep in mind that while the 58X does sound a bit livelier and dynamic than the 6XX, it’s not a drastic difference, at least to me. You are still getting a very similar midrange and treble performance. The 58X does sound snappier and tighter to me, so I do prefer the 58X over the 6XX.

So its safe to say the 58X still has the treble and midrange veil of the HD series? I prefer that, as I like a semi more relaxed sound. Especially for this studying use case. Sometimes I find HiFi headphones to be a bit too revealing, especially at higher listening levels.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #4,349 of 4,845
So its safe to say the 58X still has the treble and midrange veil of the HD series? I prefer that, as I like a semi more relaxed sound. Especially for this studying use case. Sometimes I find HiFi headphones to be a bit too revealing, especially at higher listening levels.
I never thought the 600 (and 58X) series was ever veiled to begin with, but yes it still has that laid back signature that I love. I agree many other headphones can be too revealing and as a result, sound unnatural. The 600 series has always been the most natural sounding and smooth to me, even compared to higher end stuff (HD800S, Audeze LCD series, Focal). 58X and 600 are my favorites of the bunch.

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #4,350 of 4,845
DSCF5079.JPG

By now, most HeadFiers have probably read Tyll's review of the Sennheiser HD660S over at InnerFidelity If not, you should certainly do so as soon as possible. Make sure to watch the accompanying video as well.

Funny story - the HD660S that Tyll reviewed was actually sent to me first, due to a misunderstanding. I asked for a review unit so I could cover it at Digital Audio Review, but the PR guy I was working with thought it would be for InnerFidelity (since I contribute to both sites). I definitely wanted Tyll to get first crack at it, and the PR folks didn't have another unit for Tyll, so I shot the package his way without even opening it.

The following week, I was able to get my hands on another HD660S from a friend. After spending time with it, I have to reluctantly agree with Tyll - this is a good headphone... perhaps even a very good headphone, all things considered. But it's not an evolution or improvement on the existing HD600/HD650 as we had hoped. Net result? Disappointment, as you can clearly see in Tyll's video review.

HD660S will likely still be a modest success for Sennheiser. But I predict many enthusiasts will find themselves underwhelmed for the price, and ultimately still waiting for a true HD600/HD650 successor.

Meanwhile, Massdrop has a project in the works that may help. It probably won't help Sennheiser all that much, but might be just the thing for enthusiasts who feel disillusioned by an underperforming $499 HD660S.

DSCF5071.JPG

The topic of discussion here is actually the new Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee. If you're reading this, you've probably already read or watched something about it from Jude, so I'm not going to repeat all that info. The Massdrop page also has the details so head over there and have a look. The most important detail, in my humble opinion, is the $149.99 price tag. Massdrop's other collaboration with Sennheiser - the HD6XX - has been a huge success at $199.99, and this new offering aims to continue that winning streak.

A few important points before I get into the sound aspect:

*In case there was any doubt, I can confirm that the HD58X does in fact use the new 150-ohm Sennheiser driver "platform" - which looks undeniably like the one found in their HD700 (but don't hold that against it). I tried to capture pics but wasn't completely successful due to the grill... it was far easier to see with the naked eye though. Despite the ease with which these cans can be disassembled, I wasn't comfortable taking apart the review unit just to get a better picture - it's obviously the new driver anyway, so why take the (small) risk?

*I've confirmed with Massdrop that the HD58X uses the "older" style pads, rather than the new and slightly different HD660S variation.

*The headband pads are the "4 lumps" style as seen in HD580/HD600, rather than the longer pad with a split in the middle used by HD650/HD660S. I'm indifferent about this choice... both styles are exceedingly comfy to me, but you may feel differently.

DSCF5085.JPG

*Finish is a bit of a mash-up. It has the smaller, offset "Sennheiser" text on top of the headband, and is all black like HD660S. But where that model has a matte finish, the HD58X has a glossy black, similar to the somewhat glossy finish on the HD650. It looks quite fetching though seems to show fingerprints more than any other variation.

*My review unit, which Massdrop says is the final design, says "Made in Ireland". Just in case anyone was concerned about Sennheiser pulling an AKG by switching production to China or elsewhere.

DSCF5081.JPG

*The cable is just the standard 6-foot HD650-style cable with a 1/8" termination. Meanwhile the HD660S comes with two cables, one of which has the 4.4mm balanced Pentaconn termination. It makes sense that Massdrop removed the extra bundled cable considering the price discrepancy. Plus I'm not really a fan of the Pentaconn style anyway (seems unnecessary), and that cable is too long in the HD660S bundle. So personally I don't miss this at all.

DSCF5073.JPG DSCF5074.JPG DSCF5075.JPG

Anyway.

Getting back to the drivers: Massdrop tells me this is the same "platform" as seen in the HD660S, but not quite identical. It's in the same "family of drivers" but has "different specs". Not sure how exactly they differ. The core of this driver architecture is an aluminum voice coil and new magnetic structure, which should result in more accurate transient response and faster decay - according to Axel Grell of Sennheiser.

My listening confirms that - at least to some extent. The HD58X Jubilee is indeed a bit faster than my well-worn HD650 and also a newer HD6XX. Sound is more immediate, more extended, not as warm/smooth overall. The "veil" is not so prevalent here. Perceived bass impact is... different. On the one hand it seems to kick a little harder down low, but then again it has reduced mid and upper bass so the overall feeling of warmth is reduced. The result might be the impression of improved kick when really it isn't much different. Soundstage seems wider - which I appreciate - though still lacking compared to an HD800. Particularly in depth which is not a strong suite here. Still, if you've always struggled with the HD650 sounding a bit compressed in terms of staging width, you'll appreciate this upgrade.

The HD58X is also (moderately) easier to drive. The Cowon Plenue 1 or Sony ZX2 seem more comfortable with the Jubilee than the "classic" models, and reach higher volumes more easily; which should result in superior battery life overall. I even find that an iPad or Galaxy S7 Edge does a better job with the Jubilee in terms of drive, though I do tend to miss the forgiving nature of the HD650 with those sources. In general though, if you listen primarily from a DAP, the 150 ohm HD58X is often the better match.

The flip side of that is I don't feel it scales as well on nicer desktop gear. HD650 has practically limitless potential, while HD58X seems to top out on moderate systems. The Jubilee can't really show much improvement beyond something like a Cavalli CTH or Rupert Neve RNHP. Ditto for DACs - your really-high-end source is sort of wasted here, so you can comfortably top out under $1K.

Is this a good thing or bad thing? Depends on perspective I suppose, but for me the increased scalability of the old models is more beneficial than the reduced amping requirements. I mostly listen at home on big gear though... others may feel differently.

It's very important to remember that this is meant to be a spiritual successor to the old HD580 Jubilee, which was essentially an HD600 before the real HD600 actually launched. So we're talking far more similarities to the HD600 than HD650. I no longer own an HD600 at the moment so unfortunately I can't directly compare.

What I can compare is the HD660S. And honestly I hear very minimal differences. Despite the pads being very slightly revised, and the drivers supposedly not being identical, I still don't hear a variation larger than what you might find between an older HD650 with flattened pads and a crisp new HD6XX. Which happens to be the exact scenario I have here. Or, to put it another way, the difference between HD58X and HD660S is less significant than the difference between HD600 and HD650. Also smaller than the differences between some of the AKG models, like switching from K702 to their 65th Anniversary Edition. If I must name a difference, I'd say the HD660S has more refined treble, but it's not at all a significant difference - I barely notice it for the most part.

Honestly, I'm disappointed in what Sennheiser has done with the HD660S. It's not a terrible headphone by any means, but it feels like a missed opportunity, and in a world where the HD6XX sells for $199, it seems pretty expensive.

On the other hand, I'm actually excited about the HD58X Jubilee. Yes, it's a little on the brighter side compared to HD650/HD6XX. And no, it won't scale to the same heights. But for a penny less than $150 it's an absolutely compelling release. If I'm being frank, I can't believe Sennheiser is letting this happen considering the similarity with HD660S and the difference in price. But I suppose Sennheiser will sell a ton of the more expensive model through outlets like Crutchfield, Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc. Meanwhile, the enthusiast crowd will snatch up the HD58X for a steal of a price.

If you already own an HD600, this still might not add much to the conversation. If you own an HD650 and want a somewhat brighter, more expansive sound, this is worth a try for sure. If you don't own any of these, it's a toss up between HD6XX and HD58X Jubilee... I can think of situations where either one wins out, so there's no universal recommendation. Regardless, Massdrop should win some fans here.

DSCF5068.JPG DSCF5072.JPG
Really great info. Tnx for the detail review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back