Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #4,366 of 4,845
Wow...yup the curtain mod is for real:)
If any of you guys/gals feel this headphone lacks a bit of presence in the uppermids a la the 600/650, then you simply have got to find some curtain! Preferably two pieces if you want the same sound in both cups:p
With this mod the HD58X sounds way more linear and also opens up a world of detail...whilst keeping the subbass abilities mind you.
Here ya go: https://www.google.dk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/fm8nqh/hd58x_curtain_mod/

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #4,368 of 4,845
Wow...yup the curtain mod is for real:)
If any of you guys/gals feel this headphone lacks a bit of presence in the uppermids a la the 600/650, then you simply have got to find some curtain! Preferably two pieces if you want the same sound in both cups:p
With this mod the HD58X sounds way more linear and also opens up a world of detail...whilst keeping the subbass abilities mind you.
Here ya go: https://www.google.dk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/fm8nqh/hd58x_curtain_mod/
I had trouble understanding what this material actually is...did I hear him say Shia? I assume you can buy this material at Michael's?

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #4,370 of 4,845
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #4,372 of 4,845
So about a month ago, I decided to mod the felt that was covering the driver of the 58X. I cut out two circles to tape them directly over the drivers. I did this to try and mimic the pre-production 58X before the felt was covering the whole entire driver assembly. I really like the look of it better now, and if it did change the sound at all, it wasn't much of a change. I have a backup 58X I did A/B comparing with, both with the original foam in and out, and I really couldn't tell a difference. So Sennheiser used some really inert foam that doesn't mess with the driver at all.

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

If you want to try something like this, here is what I did. I printed out a 40mm diameter circle using this templete: https://www.blocklayer.com/circle-templateseng.aspx
Then, I cut out that paper circle and put some double sided tape on it. Next, I attached the paper circle to the 58X foam, and cut along the paper circle to make a foam circle of the same size. Repeat again for the other driver. Then, carefully cut out small strips of double sided tape to fill the entire surface of the magnet ring on the outside driver (except for the hole). Also put some tape on the black lip near the magnet, attached to the arm where you put the cable connectors. Put the foam on the magnet right in the center, and gently push the outer rim of the foam circle into the dips of the clear spider cage around the magnet and over the connector arm. You could use some tape to secure it, but I just left it, it hasn't moved at all in over a month of daily use for me.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #4,373 of 4,845
^I think many felt that removing the outer foam from the cups somehow made a change to the sound. I certainly did the first time around - Zeos probably still does.
But if you are lucky enough to have a buddy who also happens to own the 58X, well then a simple blindtest will show you the “difference”. Spoiler: there is none:)
The front foam though makes a big change.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #4,374 of 4,845
^I think many felt that removing the outer foam from the cups somehow made a change to the sound. I certainly did the first time around - Zeos probably still does.
But if you are lucky enough to have a buddy who also happens to own the 58X, well then a simple blindtest will show you the “difference”. Spoiler: there is none:)
The front foam though makes a big change.
Yup, I don't hear any difference. I also recall someone measuring with and without the outer foam, and it showed zero difference. DIY Audio Heaven I think?

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #4,375 of 4,845
Got the sheer fabric from JoAnns. Super inexpensive, very thin, light and breathable. Will mod this weekend. Not sure if I want to cover the whole cup, or just the driver area. Probably won't matter.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #4,379 of 4,845
I currently have the HD58X and I love them !!! I do not regret it and now I am looking for a balanced 2.5 cable for my 58x, could someone suggest a link? with the phone you hear very well, but with an amp and dac this thing scales!
They are an outstanding sounding headphone, especially for the price!! I even bought a second pair.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #4,380 of 4,845
I currently have the HD58X and I love them !!! I do not regret it and now I am looking for a balanced 2.5 cable for my 58x, could someone suggest a link? with the phone you hear very well, but with an amp and dac this thing scales!
I bought my cables from Lunashops on Ali, but I see that Amazon also has balanced ones that look pretty nice. It's not cheap (about $50), but it makes a difference in SQ if you can feed them more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back