Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 14, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #4,396 of 4,845
I think Solderdude nailed it in his review(s) of the HD58X/HD660s in which he explains how many hear the old guard as being more ‘detailed’ than the newer kids on the block. Not because of the higher damping factor as many old Sennie fans would have you believe - nahh simply because the upper-mids are dialed ever so slightly down on the new coconuts. It’s simply because of that little bit of energy in the place where we all are the most sensitive to changes within the frequency response..even small ones.
The old 580/600/650s are all more linear in the mids yet if one shifts the focus to the bass quarters, it’s the other way around entirely. Both the 58X and 660 smoke the old guard down below with much better clarity and detail. There’s a punch and drive there missing from the 600 and 650...yet it really doesn’t matter when I’m listening to The Who over my 600.
It’s basically down to taste. The newer cans are more dynamic and exciting sounding whereas the older brethren sound more linear and romantic. They’re all brilliant headphones imho:)

I have a simple question, if the HD58X is on the same tier as the HD6XX in sound quality, why is it priced substantially cheaper?

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #4,397 of 4,845
I have a simple question, if the HD58X is on the same tier as the HD6XX in sound quality, why is it priced substantially cheaper?
It's all subjective. If you just so happen to prefer the 58X, you can save a little money.

Aug 15, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #4,398 of 4,845
Welcome to hi-fi!
I’ll see your Sennie and raise with a ZMF:p
In all seriousness: I have been a/b’ing an Aeolus and the HD58X during the last month or so and I prefer the cheapskate Sennie....not because I can’t afford the ZMF or some other calculated reason, nahh I genuinely would rather listen to the HD58X.
You can throw the whole notion of “more money=better sound quality“ out the window. I mean..there is a reason why so many end up selling off their Utopias, LCD-4’s and Susvaras only to go back to a 600/650...and trust me it’s not because they suddenly all went broke..nope they honestly prefer the natural timbre they encounter over the Sennies.

Edith: Also Sennheiser skips a few productional steps by inserting some acoustically transparent foam in the cups..thereby ditching the need to pretty up the drivers. Those few steps saves them quite a few dineros in the long run and effectively make the 58X cheaper to produce than the 600/650/660.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #4,401 of 4,845
today we already have an amplifier that takes the HD6x0 line for its performance and 95% quality for the value of 200 to 300 €? I'm looking for one in this price range to use with an HD58x and an HD660s. I want to get a smooth and slow sound with a good level of detail, but don't take away the musical and relaxing sound. I was looking at the A20, which is now in the range of 330 €, or even the Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (No Drops they say the sound is soft, but I saw some comments saying that it gives emphasis to the treble), it would be to use specifically with Sennheiser 58x and HD6x0. I only have the headset, I'm looking for an amplifier and a dac.

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #4,402 of 4,845
today we already have an amplifier that takes the HD6x0 line for its performance and 95% quality for the value of 200 to 300 €? I'm looking for one in this price range to use with an HD58x and an HD660s. I want to get a smooth and slow sound with a good level of detail, but don't take away the musical and relaxing sound. I was looking at the A20, which is now in the range of 330 €, or even the Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (No Drops they say the sound is soft, but I saw some comments saying that it gives emphasis to the treble), it would be to use specifically with Sennheiser 58x and HD6x0. I only have the headset, I'm looking for an amplifier and a dac.

For such sound I have found Project Ember to be very good. You could probably buy any of Garage1217.com amps and be done with it.

For the DAC get Nobsound TDA1387 NOS DAC. It is super cheap but better than any DS DAC I've heard at any price point.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #4,403 of 4,845
anyone tried this?
Hey wanted to give an update. I'm currently running my 58Xs with the curtain mod and have removed the Sonic Barrier damping from the back of the driver magnets. While I do really enjoy the Sonic Barrier mod, I think I'm liking the curtain mod a little better. The 58Xs with the Sonic Barrier mod sound very similar to the 600s (which I now have a pair of also). They are very detailed and linear sounding with the Sonic Barrier mod.
After reading about the curtain mod I decided to give it a try. That's what I love about the various mods, they are easy to do and relatively inexpensive. Anyways I performed the curtain mod and removed the Sonic Barrier and restored the foam inserts to the front of the drivers so they are stock except replacing the ear side foam with the shear curtain material recommended for the curtain mod.
To date I like this configuration the best. Again I really like the Sonic Barrier mod but I didn't realize until trying the curtain mod that they lost a little bit of sub-bass compared to stock or with the curtain mod. With the curtain mod you retain the bass and fun factor of the stock cans with the increased clarity in the upper mids and highs. Its a win/win scenario. They are still a little more detailed and linear with the Sonic Barrier mod, but they are more fun and engaging with the curtain mod while still having increased detail and more pleasant highs over stock. Since the 58Xs with the Sonic Barrier mod sound very similar to the 600s, I might have kept that mod in place had I not already had a set of 600s.

I really enjoy all three of the 600 family cans I have. I like the 600s running with tube gear and listening to acoustic, vocal, or more intimate music. I like the 6XXs running with higher powered solid state amps and while listening to overly bright recorded material. The 58Xs with the curtain mod are quite frankly the best all around cans of the three and the ones I listen to the most (by a wide margin). They are simply the most enjoyable to me with most of the equipment I run and music I listen to.

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #4,404 of 4,845
Looking to take a few steps up the ladder. What's the closest nature progression for someone looking to upgrade their 58X, but not stray to far from the general sound signature? Say 800 bucks tops.

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #4,406 of 4,845
Hey wanted to give an update. I'm currently running my 58Xs with the curtain mod and have removed the Sonic Barrier damping from the back of the driver magnets. While I do really enjoy the Sonic Barrier mod, I think I'm liking the curtain mod a little better. The 58Xs with the Sonic Barrier mod sound very similar to the 600s (which I now have a pair of also). They are very detailed and linear sounding with the Sonic Barrier mod.
After reading about the curtain mod I decided to give it a try. That's what I love about the various mods, they are easy to do and relatively inexpensive. Anyways I performed the curtain mod and removed the Sonic Barrier and restored the foam inserts to the front of the drivers so they are stock except replacing the ear side foam with the shear curtain material recommended for the curtain mod.
To date I like this configuration the best. Again I really like the Sonic Barrier mod but I didn't realize until trying the curtain mod that they lost a little bit of sub-bass compared to stock or with the curtain mod. With the curtain mod you retain the bass and fun factor of the stock cans with the increased clarity in the upper mids and highs. Its a win/win scenario. They are still a little more detailed and linear with the Sonic Barrier mod, but they are more fun and engaging with the curtain mod while still having increased detail and more pleasant highs over stock. Since the 58Xs with the Sonic Barrier mod sound very similar to the 600s, I might have kept that mod in place had I not already had a set of 600s.

I really enjoy all three of the 600 family cans I have. I like the 600s running with tube gear and listening to acoustic, vocal, or more intimate music. I like the 6XXs running with higher powered solid state amps and while listening to overly bright recorded material. The 58Xs with the curtain mod are quite frankly the best all around cans of the three and the ones I listen to the most (by a wide margin). They are simply the most enjoyable to me with most of the equipment I run and music I listen to.
Instead of sheer curtains...would sheer pantyhose work?

Sep 2, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #4,407 of 4,845
Instead of sheer curtains...would sheer pantyhose work?
I'm not sure. I used the material recommended in the curtain mod video a few pages back in this thread. I got it from Joanns and think I paid about $2-3 dollars for it and still have most the material left over. For the cost of some pantyhose it would probably be worth a try. I would definitely try the material recommended in the video though. It would be cool to try both and compare the two.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #4,409 of 4,845
Looking to take a few steps up the ladder. What's the closest nature progression for someone looking to upgrade their 58X, but not stray to far from the general sound signature? Say 800 bucks tops.
You could check out the AFO:)
Seriously though, you are going to find it difficult tracking down another headphone with the same amount of warmth without messing up the mids and treble. That’s what I found when comparing it to the Aeolus.
The 660 is not really an upgrade as much as it is a different flavour to the Sennie sound. I personally prefer the 58X.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #4,410 of 4,845
A lot of opinions that are obviously subjectively based on experience and taste.

The guy above is normally suggesting you stick to a small budget of entry level gear because the more expensive stuff is just as good according to his ear/wallet.

A small minority of members will downplay your gear that they can’t afford to keep in real life.

You don’t need to spend thousands but you’ll realize how much more you get out of moving up ..whether that’s worth the price to you is subjective.

I sold off my 660s and bought some 6XX and could tell the drop in quality.
The 500 line was just too boring IME

Plus it’s really dependent on what you’re listening to

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back