Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 1, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #4,276 of 4,845
I like forward mids, "W" shaped sound. I want a "can do it all really well" HP (music, movies, gaming) that will also get my head bobbing on uplifting female vocal trance music. HD6XX vs. HD58X price difference is irrelevant to me. Either would be used with a Fulla 3.

Which do I get?

If you want to focus on the vocals, 6XX for sure. I had the 58X for a while but could never get away from my 650s although the 58X had a more "musical" presentation to me instead of the laid back 650 sound. With that, though, I felt the vocals were more grainy and less defined, but you really can't go wrong with either. Both are serviceable gaming cans, but it may depend some on the game. I rarely use Senns for gaming unless it's an RTS or something where I have background music or want to chill with tubes. PS4 gets the DT1990s or Argons. 58X are also more efficient for your Fulla, so you'd get more out of them with that source.

Edit: you might give one of the Phillips cans a look for the price as well.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #4,278 of 4,845
Luna shops is where I purchased all of my cables. I have both a 3.5 single ended, and a 2.5 balanced for my 660s. Let me see if I can find them again. Only 50 bucks - way under priced imo.

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4,280 of 4,845
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #4,281 of 4,845
Dec 4, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #4,282 of 4,845
Screenshot_20191204-134254.png
Screenshot_20191204-134220.png

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #4,285 of 4,845
Luna shops is where I purchased all of my cables. I have both a 3.5 single ended, and a 2.5 balanced for my 660s. Let me see if I can find them again. Only 50 bucks - way under priced imo.

I've ordered a couple of cables from eachdiy2017 on ebay (lunashops). An 8-core and a 16-core. They're an amazing value for the price. Simply can't be beat.

Dec 6, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #4,286 of 4,845
I've ordered a couple of cables from eachdiy2017 on ebay (lunashops). An 8-core and a 16-core. They're an amazing value for the price. Simply can't be beat.

Nice. Have you noticed any SQ difference between the two? Do they feel heavier compared to the stock cable in use? Did you incur import fees?

I need a 3 metre length, which costs around $70. I noticed this one as well , 4 x 100 cores, but no idea how it compares to 8/ 16 core cable:

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=6212

Edit: just realised you probably haven't received yours yet :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #4,287 of 4,845
Hi thanks guys for this valuable info. I just ordered the 8 core silver plate cable but I am wondering if I made a mistake. Is the 16 core much better ?

I also have other cheap balanced cables for my HD 6XX and 58X ( from one recently the right side died) and I have seen noticeable difference. The original HD6XX - HD58X cable is definitely suboptimal. What is the best value for money alternative is the question.

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #4,288 of 4,845
Nice. Have you noticed any SQ difference between the two? Do they feel heavier compared to the stock cable in use? Did you incur import fees?

I need a 3 metre length, which costs around $70. I noticed this one as well , 4 x 100 cores, but no idea how it compares to 8/ 16 core cable:

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=6212

Edit: just realised you probably haven't received yours yet :wink:

Hi--I ordered mine earlier this year. It's a balanced 3.5mm TRRS, not an XLR.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Black-Pure-...hash=item3417e1eac1:m:muZP_fMuINnHhi9UOdXMBRw

The cost of the cables are relatively inexpensive but I don't know the tax threshold for importing to the EU. I didn't incur any import fees. It was shipped from China via economy speedpak and there was a tracking number. It was surprisingly fast, a couple of weeks I think.

I know you're looking for a balanced XLR but here's my experience with the 8-core 3.5mm TRRS balanced I got for my Senns:

I got it specifically to use with my 6XX's or 58X's connected to my nano iDSD Black Label which has the 3.5mm balanced output. It also works with most of my other standard 3.5mm TRS portable amp or DAC/amp outputs.

The cable is very light and supple, no micro-phonics and is definitely lighter than the stock that comes with the 6XX and 58X. Sound-wise, I would say it doesn't sound hugely different than stock, although when connected to the nano BL, I think I hear a bit more clarity since it fully utilizes the nano's balanced circuitry.

Length-wise it's about 1.2 meters, pretty short, but long enough for portable use. Its material looks different from the one in your link--the cable material in that XLR cable looks a bit stiffer but it's hard to tell exactly how it feels from the photo. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever you get from them. I just don't think you're going to get any better quality and workmanship for the price, what ever you get.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #4,289 of 4,845
When these were originally announced I was planning to join the drop then, but I hesitated due to the long wait. Then with the nice discount on Cyber Monday I finally decided it was time.

They arrived today, now I'm disappointed that I didn't join during the initial drop. I've only had about 30 minutes with them so far but I'm so happy with these.

Currently just using my AP80 but I'm really happy. First open backs I've had in many many years. Everything I've purchased in the last 10 years has been closed back. Was debating between these, the HD599's and X2HR's. With the BF price on the X2's and 599's I wasn't sure about waiting to see if these were going to have a CM deal but really happy that I did.

I believe these will be my daily drivers from this point on. Dumb question, will the locking mechanism wear out over time if I'm plugging and unplugging these every day? Or would it be better to find a case large enough to where I wouldn't have to do that.

I've followed this thread since it began and I've always read how pleased most were with these, now I see why. I do believe for the immediate future I don't want another set, I'm just enjoying these too much.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #4,290 of 4,845
I believe these will be my daily drivers from this point on. Dumb question, will the locking mechanism wear out over time if I'm plugging and unplugging these every day? Or would it be better to find a case large enough to where I wouldn't have to do that.

Unplugging like separating the cable from the headphone by unplugging the cable at the cups?

I would be a little careful with that, both because they might become loose with time but mostly because I’d be nervous about accidentally trying to plug them in the wrong way and damaging the connectors.

I usually hang mine on a hook (home) or just lay them on the desk beside the amp (office) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back