1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284
286 287
Next

Last
  1. Mouseman
    I have the hybrids, and my experience is that it doesn't negatively impact the sound, plus I find them to be more comfortable. Just my two cents.

I think the hybrids have the best of both worlds. They're more breathable than all velour, and they are deeper than the stock by a bit, so my ears aren't right up against the drivers. Watch for them on Drop, you can save a few bucks.

2. Mhog55
    Do they do anything to improve the sound in your opinion? I can't imagine that they don't somehow alter the sound.

3. Mouseman
    I think they extend the bass a bit and if I remember, the Soundstage is a little wider. But it's been a long time since the switch. I think the Dekonis had more sonic impact on my AKGs, but I do like them better than stock on the Jubilees. They definitely didn't hurt the SQ, or I would have switched back.

Mhog55 likes this.
  4. CHiBLaST
    My hd58x finally arrived! I have listening song with them about 1 hour.. I came from tin t2 and here is what i noticed :

1) The Solist! Oh my god solists are just incredible! This is propably what people means by sennheiser solist! Both male and female solist are just so butter smooth!
    2) I had M40x with cowhides and tested HE4xx. HE4xx have like little to none bass, M40x with cowhides had good bass but man, hd58x bass is just something else. T2 is between he4xx and m40x which have decent bass.
    3) Soundstage is narrower than T2 and M40x, M40x with cowhides have better soundstage then Tin T2 too.
    4) Imaging + detail ! if we consider imaging alone i can say 58x have better imaging than T2 and M40x but if we consider it with detail+imaging it becames ridiclously good.
    5) Highs: Way less harsher then Tin T2 for sure. cant say about M40x because i cant hear much differance.about sibilance and harshness, propably same.

I can clearly say HD58x are direct upgrade from Tin T2 and M40x. it beats them in every area other than soundstage.I am really happy with my purchase.

And 150 ohm resistance is just nonsense because my S8+ and laptop can drive easier then M40x and just a little bit lower volume then T2. LOL

The Solist ! Its just magnificent! Detail+Imaging ! So good.

And I havent adapted to them or they didnt burn in enough. Sound became better with just 1 hour listening!

I think I should get AMP+DAC, propably Fiio Q1 Mark II should be enough or ES100

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    volly and annasoh323 like this.
  5. Tuneslover
    I have the HD650 and instead of replacing with Senn stock pads I tried the much more durable Dekoni (least expensive ones) pads. I also have the HD6XX and they have the Senn stock pads. So I have 2 “650’s” but they do sound different. Both good sounding in my opinion.

The Senn stock pads seem to have a fairly short life span while my 2 year old Dekoni’s still look and perform like the day I got them.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    DavidA likes this.
  6. Mhog55
    How would you describe the sound difference? I'm curious how using Dekoni pads contrasts from the original stock pads.

7. Reinhold
    660s sounds so much smoother.the hd5xx is ok for its price but not spectacular.
    do not be fooled by zeos and all the others.

massdrop wants to sell as much as possible and all the youtubers want a piece of the cake.

Ichos likes this.
  8. Mouseman
    Hmmm....285 pages for an "OK" headphone. :thinking:
    I think there are a lot of posts on here that would disagree with you. I certainly do, and I'm not getting anything from Drop or YouTube.

michaeljefford and Tuneslover like this.
  9. Ichos
    For the price is a killer.
    Maybe the best value in the market.

It can't touch though the HD660S as others have suggested.
    Miles away.

michaeljefford and rafaelo like this.
  10. Tuneslover
    I tried to find my fairly detailed comparison between my Dekoni and stock Senn pads but I wasn’t able to locate it. So I’ll do my best to recall the comparison. First off, is there a difference in how the Dekoni pads sound to the the Senn pads, in a word, yes. To my ears there is more and slightly deeper bass with the Dekoni. I would also characterize the Dekoni pads as having slightly rolled off highs.

I have 3 headphone setups with different amps and DACs. My HD650 have the Dekoni pads on them and the setup I use them with are with SMSL SU-08 DAC and Schiit Jotunheim (original) amplification. Both of these components lean toward the brighter side of neutral which is terrific for bringing out details in the music. Using the HD650 with STOCK SENN PADS I found the sound to be too thin in the bass and a tad too bright for my preference. Turns out the Dekoni pads toned down the brightness (that could be painful at times) and produced deeper and slightly more bass. I saw this pad swap as an excellent HD650 “mod” specifically with this equipment.

I decided to give the Dekoni pads a try because they appeared to be better designed and built than the rather simple & flimsy stock Senn pads. I have enjoyed the Dekoni pads for about 2 years now and they look, feel and sound the same as when I first received them.

I would like to point out that if you do not want to your HD650’s to sound different then I wouldn’t recommend experimenting with different pads.

DavidA and Mouseman like this.
  11. Mhog55
    Nice. And which type of Dekoni pads are you using?

12. Tuneslover
    Elite Velour (base model)

13. volly
  14. Delmetrice
    While this may not be of benefit to everyone, I've had several Senns that will inevitably get dings or scratches on the mesh grilles that reveal the metal underneath the paint, coating, whatever it happens to be. I've typically repainted them, but on my last effort, I thought I'd try some Alumablack on a small chip to see how well it would take. Not only does it match the black perfectly after 2 coats, but I've stripped and re-coated a few to purposefully ding and scratch up, and no such concerns any more. A single coat well applied can give you a very nice gunmetal grey that looks awesome on the 600s. I'll be stripping all of my other mesh grilles, and I thought this might be something worth sharing.

Mr Trev likes this.
  15. schneller
    I like forward mids, "W" shaped sound.

I want a "can do it all really well" HP (music, movies, gaming) that will also get my head bobbing on uplifting female vocal trance music. It should also be able to do Andrew Bird really well (male, female vocals, violin).

HD6XX vs. HD58X price difference is irrelevant to me.

Either would be used with a Fulla 3.

Which do I get?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
First

Back
275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284
286 287
Next

Last