Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Nov 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #4,216 of 4,845
Had the pleasure of comparing a HD 600 and HD 650 to my HD 58X yesterday, I am amazed that there is so little difference to the point it is impossible to tell in a blind test.

The only thing is the HD 58X is superior to either 650 or 600 due to having a little better sub bass and being a little more alive. But even then it was still near impossible to determine in a blind test.

Moral of the story is many of us continue to trick ourselves into buying expensive headphones thinking it sounds better when it does not. It is clear in a blind test the HD58x for $138 is the Limit of the human hearing.

I have a modded HD 555 and it also sounds near identical to the HD 58x in a blind test, which again goes to show anything above $100 is audio fool category unless you are talking about a Fostex which actually makes a real world difference in keeping a near perfect sound while still having sub woofer like bass volume. But I am sure there are other closed backs for way less money that can compete with

HD 58x sounds identical to a HD 660s in a blind test the human ear cannot tell the difference only deluded fools think they can

Most people have trouble telling my 6 yo identical twin daughters apart; I don’t.

It’s all in the details you might not notice at first (but YMMV of course, for some people the differences are rather obvious).
:relaxed:

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #4,217 of 4,845
Had the pleasure of comparing a HD 600 and HD 650 to my HD 58X yesterday, I am amazed that there is so little difference to the point it is impossible to tell in a blind test...Moral of the story is many of us continue to trick ourselves into buying expensive headphones thinking it sounds better when it does not. It is clear in a blind test the HD58x for $138 is the Limit of the human hearing...

I tested the HD58X and HD 650 on a Fiio K5 Pro which is objectively vastly superior to the ODAC and many other so called audiophile devices and there was 0 difference in a blind test playing marvin Gaye sexual healing and Fleetwood mac sweet little lies.

Ahhhh -- it's a pity you didn't conduct the test with your go-to song!!!
THEN...there'd be no debating. :wink:

upload_2019-11-6_6-34-52.png

I think so, can't believe I am now only learning about this.
This guy is overflowing with talent the way he spits out this song is quite something

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #4,218 of 4,845
Had the pleasure of comparing a HD 600 and HD 650 to my HD 58X yesterday, I am amazed that there is so little difference to the point it is impossible to tell in a blind test.

The only thing is the HD 58X is superior to either 650 or 600 due to having a little better sub bass and being a little more alive. But even then it was still near impossible to determine in a blind test.

Moral of the story is many of us continue to trick ourselves into buying expensive headphones thinking it sounds better when it does not. It is clear in a blind test the HD58x for $138 is the Limit of the human hearing.

I have a modded HD 555 and it also sounds near identical to the HD 58x in a blind test, which again goes to show anything above $100 is audio fool category unless you are talking about a Fostex which actually makes a real world difference in keeping a near perfect sound while still having sub woofer like bass volume. But I am sure there are other closed backs for way less money that can compete with Fostex

Its the limit of your hearing, not everyone hears the same as you.

A few questions on your "blind test": 1) how did you set the levels since the HD58X and HD650 will sound quite different if you just plug them in to the same amp since they have different sensitivities and impedance. 2) Did someone change the headphone on you along with adjusting the levels? 3) quality of recordings and type of recordings?

FWIW I have the HD58X, HD650, HD6XX and had a HD600 (sold) and have heard the HD660s for extended periods. The only person that that I know who thinks they sound similar is a 72 year old guy that is going deft and even hearing aids don't make much of a difference and his eye sight is equally bad that he has a hard time telling 1080P from 480P. Many years ago there I think it was Harmon that had a guide on how to listen and for me it was quite eye opening since I was a bit like you where the HD650 and HD600 didn't sound all that difference but once I "learned" how to listen the differences became quite clean and easy to notice.

The HD58X is a great bargain for most but for those who have listened to better for a period of time the HD58X is not cheap version of the HD650, HD600 or HD660s. For me the HD58X is a bit grainy in the highs, the bass is bloated and lack details and the lower mids/mids a bit off tone compared to the other HD6 series. Another thing to consider is that the HD650 and HD600 really need a amp that has a higher output impedance IMO.

Another way to look at it is it saves you a lot of money if you can't hear the differences but its not a scam for those that can hear the differences.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #4,220 of 4,845
Most people have trouble telling my 6 yo identical twin daughters apart; I don’t.

It’s all in the details you might not notice at first (but YMMV of course, for some people the differences are rather obvious).
:relaxed:
Found the perfect analogy to describe the HD6 series. Thanks dude

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #4,221 of 4,845
Its the limit of your hearing, not everyone hears the same as you.

A few questions on your "blind test": 1) how did you set the levels since the HD58X and HD650 will sound quite different if you just plug them in to the same amp since they have different sensitivities and impedance. 2) Did someone change the headphone on you along with adjusting the levels? 3) quality of recordings and type of recordings?

FWIW I have the HD58X, HD650, HD6XX and had a HD600 (sold) and have heard the HD660s for extended periods. The only person that that I know who thinks they sound similar is a 72 year old guy that is going deft and even hearing aids don't make much of a difference and his eye sight is equally bad that he has a hard time telling 1080P from 480P. Many years ago there I think it was Harmon that had a guide on how to listen and for me it was quite eye opening since I was a bit like you where the HD650 and HD600 didn't sound all that difference but once I "learned" how to listen the differences became quite clean and easy to notice.

The HD58X is a great bargain for most but for those who have listened to better for a period of time the HD58X is not cheap version of the HD650, HD600 or HD660s. For me the HD58X is a bit grainy in the highs, the bass is bloated and lack details and the lower mids/mids a bit off tone compared to the other HD6 series. Another thing to consider is that the HD650 and HD600 really need a amp that has a higher output impedance IMO.

Another way to look at it is it saves you a lot of money if you can't hear the differences but its not a scam for those that can hear the differences.

I really like this headphone in the context that I bought it in. It is definitely the cheapest headphone that I own and it is never going to replace my GH2's, T5p.2's or even my 99 Classic's. Having said that I enjoy putting them on for a different sound. I don't disagree with any of your comments about the sound.

I think it has a cool sound and is a great bargain. I used to own the HD6XX's and I Really did not like them.

I think I would be hard pressed to sell them. If someone said to me I will give you $100.00 for them vs having them in cabinet to throw on the odd time, I would keep them.

Zeos started all this with his review saying they are the same as the HD660.

Shane D

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #4,224 of 4,845
They are close in tonality.
In technical ability are night to day.
I owned HD58X about six months and I have HD660S.
An instant swap and must be deaf not to hear the difference.
Now if this difference can justify the price gap that is for everyone to judge by himself.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #4,225 of 4,845
I really like this headphone in the context that I bought it in. It is definitely the cheapest headphone that I own and it is never going to replace my GH2's, T5p.2's or even my 99 Classic's. Having said that I enjoy putting them on for a different sound. I don't disagree with any of your comments about the sound.

I think it has a cool sound and is a great bargain. I used to own the HD6XX's and I Really did not like them.

I think I would be hard pressed to sell them. If someone said to me I will give you $100.00 for them vs having them in cabinet to throw on the odd time, I would keep them.

Zeos started all this with his review saying they are the same as the HD660.

Shane D
Can you compare HD58x vs Classic 99?

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #4,226 of 4,845
Can you compare HD58x vs Classic 99?

Thanks!

The 99 is better in every possible way, except that it cost me twice as much. The sound is much fuller and cleaner. It gives you a nice clean bass bump, when there is bass in the song. I find the HD58X kind of puts bass everywhere. Fun, but I couldn't take it ever day. The 99's have beautiful wood cups. I find both Very comfortable. The 99's are the easiest to drive headphones I have ever owned. They sound great out of my LG V30 and sound very good in my system. I don't think they really scale up when used with better amps/dacs, etc. Some people claim bass bloat on the 99's, but I don't hear it. Of course I don't do EDM, hip-hop, etc. With the HD58's I have to crank up the volume on the amp. Like, go from 9:00 to 10:30/11:00, depending on the amp. I would never bother with an open back on my phone.

My Grado GH2's and my Meze 99 Classic's are the only two headphones that I will NEVER sell. I also can't see selling the HD58X's, but if I had to toss them in as part of a trade, maybe. Or if someone offered me close to what I paid for them, probably, so that I could try something else.

The two "best value" headphones I have ever bought are the Senn HD598c's (Black Friday for $99.00 + tax a few years ago) and the HD58X's (used for $200.00, including shipping, a month or two ago). These prices are in Canuck Bucks.:smile:

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #4,227 of 4,845
The 99 is better in every possible way, except that it cost me twice as much. The sound is much fuller and cleaner. It gives you a nice clean bass bump, when there is bass in the song. I find the HD58X kind of puts bass everywhere. Fun, but I couldn't take it ever day. The 99's have beautiful wood cups. I find both Very comfortable. The 99's are the easiest to drive headphones I have ever owned. They sound great out of my LG V30 and sound good in my system. Some people claim bass bloat on the 99's, but I don't hear it. Of course I don't do EDM, hip-hop, etc. With the HD58's I have up up the volume on the amp. Like go from 9:00 to 10:30/11:00, depending on the amp. I would never bother with an open back on my phone.

My Grado GH2's and my Meze 99 Classic's are the only two headphones that I will NEVER sell. I also can't see selling the HD58X's, but if I had to toss them in as part of a trade, maybe. Or if someone offered me close to what I paid for them, probably, so that I could try something else.

The two "best value" headphones I have ever bought are the Senn HD598c's (Black Friday for $99.00 + tax a few years ago) and the HD58X's (used for $200.00, including shipping, a month or two ago). These prices are in Canuck Bucks.:smile:

Shane D

I respect your opinion but I am always perplex when a comparison of an open back and a closed back headphone are compared. Not to say that your preference is wrong. But each category of headphones will have pluses and minuses and are targeted for a different role. In my opinion it is not fair for any of the two headphones you mentioned. The HD58X should be compared to other over the ear open headphones and the Meze should be compared to other over the ear closed headphones. I won’t even try to speculate on which headphone is better between the open HD58X and the closed Meze 99. No personal hard feelings here.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #4,228 of 4,845
I respect your opinion but I am always perplex when a comparison of an open back and a closed back headphone are compared. Not to say that your preference is wrong. But each category of headphones will have pluses and minuses and are targeted for a different role. In my opinion it is not fair for any of the two headphones you mentioned. The HD58X should be compared to other over the ear open headphones and the Meze should be compared to other over the ear closed headphones. I won’t even try to speculate on which headphone is better between the open HD58X and the closed Meze 99. No personal hard feelings here.

I hear you, but he asked.
I do prefer open backs, but the 99's, to me, have a more "open", airy sound than a lot of closed backs.

Shane D

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,230 of 4,845
I'm thinking to buy Classic 99, and I have HD58x so I was just wondering.

I like both of them, but the 99 is better. The 99 is also double the price. Do you need a closed back?

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back