Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Nov 6, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #4,202 of 4,845
Had the pleasure of comparing a HD 600 and HD 650 to my HD 58X yesterday, I am amazed that there is so little difference to the point it is impossible to tell in a blind test.

The only thing is the HD 58X is superior to either 650 or 600 due to having a little better sub bass and being a little more alive. But even then it was still near impossible to determine in a blind test.

Moral of the story is many of us continue to trick ourselves into buying expensive headphones thinking it sounds better when it does not. It is clear in a blind test the HD58x for $138 is the Limit of the human hearing.

I have a modded HD 555 and it also sounds near identical to the HD 58x in a blind test, which again goes to show anything above $100 is audio fool category unless you are talking about a Fostex which actually makes a real world difference in keeping a near perfect sound while still having sub woofer like bass volume. But I am sure there are other closed backs for way less money that can compete with Fostex

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #4,204 of 4,845
Had the pleasure of comparing a HD 600 and HD 650 to my HD 58X yesterday, I am amazed that there is so little difference to the point it is impossible to tell in a blind test.

The only thing is the HD 58X is superior to either 650 or 600 due to having a little better sub bass and being a little more alive. But even then it was still near impossible to determine in a blind test.

Moral of the story is many of us continue to trick ourselves into buying expensive headphones thinking it sounds better when it does not. It is clear in a blind test the HD58x for $138 is the Limit of the human hearing.

The bass does make a difference. I had my HD58X's on for the past two days. They sounded better, head to head, than my Shure 1540's. Today I just put on my Beyerdynamic T5p.2's. Second hand these were almost quadruple the price of my used HD58X's.
The Beyer's do have Much more clarity. But I am missing the bass. While I can hear the drums, if I listen carefully, I can not feel the drums. And I do not listen loud.

As the days goes on I will adapt to the Beyer's and like them more. But even the Grado's have more bass.

I got these so cheap, that I can't imagine selling them. What would be the point?

Nice little headphone.

Shane D

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #4,205 of 4,845
HD 58x sounds identical to a HD 660s in a blind test the human ear cannot tell the difference only deluded fools think they can

Assumptions.
Had the pleasure of owning both.
Don't fool your self.

I can pass the test any time.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #4,206 of 4,845

I have a modded HD 555 and it also sounds near identical to the HD 58x in a blind test, which again goes to show anything above $100 is audio fool category unless you are talking about a Fostex which actually makes a real world difference in keeping a near perfect sound while still having sub woofer like bass volume. But I am sure there are other closed backs for way less money that can compete with Fostex

Hi! Which devices did you use for that test?

Regards!

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #4,207 of 4,845
While I do agree that the differences between the HD58x, HD600, HD650 and HD660s are often exaggerated (there's no night and day difference in quality, sorry), saying that you cannot pick one apart from the other is just plain wrong. Either something is wrong with your hearing, or you just don't give a damn about the differences. And, I mean, let's say for the sake of argument that you cannot distinguish the 58x from the 660s, which is, roughly speaking, a more refined version of the same sound signature. I get that. But the 600 and 650 are different enough to not dismiss as "the same". There's a lot of reasons to pick each can in this line, way before you get to "which is better?".

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #4,208 of 4,845
While I do agree that the differences between the HD58x, HD600, HD650 and HD660s are often exaggerated (there's no night and day difference in quality, sorry), saying that you cannot pick one apart from the other is just plain wrong. Either something is wrong with your hearing, or you just don't give a damn about the differences. And, I mean, let's say for the sake of argument that you cannot distinguish the 58x from the 660s, which is, roughly speaking, a more refined version of the same sound signature. I get that. But the 600 and 650 are different enough to not dismiss as "the same". There's a lot of reasons to pick each can in this line, way before you get to "which is better?".

Between the HD58x and the HD600 where are the differencies? Regarding imagen and stage is there an improvement?

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #4,209 of 4,845
I tested the HD58X and HD 650 on a Fiio K5 Pro which is objectively vastly superior to the ODAC and many other so called audiophile devices and there was 0 difference in a blind test playing marvin Gaye sexual healing and Fleetwood mac sweet little lies.

I also tested it on a Asus Xonar DG which is a budget pc sound card and the difference was extremely tiny compared to the K5 Pro

Even my on board s7 edge Samsung plays very close to a lot of high end stuff. So have u all been lying on this forum about how much better these high end dac are?

This is my question a lot of what is claimed on this forum seems to be lies because when audioscience website does am objective test they prove that what is objectively better in high end dac and amp is actually inaudible

So I call much of this a scam here in the audiophile world

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #4,211 of 4,845
Between the HD58x and the HD600 where are the differencies? Regarding imagen and stage is there an improvement?
HD600 : Less (sub) bass, more intimate mids (ie less soundstage, but singer is actually in your face), crisper/more (harsher?) highs, more detail, better imaging
HD58x : Quite a bit bassier, wider (still not wide, but not claustrophobic, the singer is right in front of you instead of in your face), more relaxed, more "fun" sound, less detailed, still great imaging
I tested the HD58X and HD 650 on a Fiio K5 Pro which is objectively vastly superior to the ODAC and many other so called audiophile devices and there was 0 difference in a blind test playing marvin Gaye sexual healing and Fleetwood mac sweet little lies.

I also tested it on a Asus Xonar DG which is a budget pc sound card and the difference was extremely tiny compared to the K5 Pro

Even my on board s7 edge Samsung plays very close to a lot of high end stuff. So have u all been lying on this forum about how much better these high end dac are?

This is my question a lot of what is claimed on this forum seems to be lies because when audioscience website does am objective test they prove that what is objectively better in high end dac and amp is actually inaudible

So I call much of this a scam here in the audiophile world
Is everything you disagree with a scam? Because I'm very much in the camp that says "high end audio is a scam", but I'm talking about 10k$ DACs and 2000$ power cables. However, if you can't hear the difference between your phone or integrated PC sound card and a decend external DAC/amp then I have bad news. Is a 1000$ amp gonna sound night and day better than a 100$ one? If power is enough on both, no. But can you hear the difference between a 100$ and a phone? Absolutely and with ease.

It's like saying anything better than Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires are a scam because you can't feel the difference on your Ford Focus driving at 100km/h. For you, it may be true. You are not wrong. But there's other people too. People who aren't driving a Ford Focus, who are not going with just 100km/h. There's people that go racing in tracks, people who drive for the experience and want 10/10 of their car instead of your happy 5/10. These people may benefit massively from better tires, even though you wouldn't.
HD58x is garbage.
c9e1095062393a24dab581243efc2de1caad68a4a78377fcb4a8fe54472060f1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #4,212 of 4,845
What I find sad is people here who will make up stories to justify them spending absurd amounts of money on more expensive headphones only to be confronted by the fact that the HD 58x is not only superior to the hd 660s and hd600 or 650 due to its superior sub bass but people here will claim "there is a clear difference between all and the 660 is better" when they are talking about 0.1% better.

This is extremely sad, it is people here who are the reason I spent hundreds of dollars for dac and amp only to realize not only is it no better than my xonar dg but its inferior

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #4,214 of 4,845
What I find sad is people here who will make up stories to justify them spending absurd amounts of money on more expensive headphones only to be confronted by the fact that the HD 58x is not only superior to the hd 660s and hd600 or 650 due to its superior sub bass but people here will claim "there is a clear difference between all and the 660 is better" when they are talking about 0.1% better.

This is extremely sad, it is people here who are the reason I spent hundreds of dollars for dac and amp only to realize not only is it no better than my xonar dg but its inferior

i had them both. hd58x didnt sound good. go and buy the 660 instead.
source.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back