Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 11, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #3,286 of 4,845
It's a public forum
The title of the thread is "58X review and MEASUREMENTS"
If you dont think measurements useful, idk why you're here.
Feel free to add to the discussion
If you don't have anything to add, the least you can do is not bother other people who are adding to the conversation
The irony of wasting the time to post a comment about being annoyed at reading other comments must have gone over people's heads

THIS

Not sure I would call some dude changing some Bass, Mid, and Treble levels in some 3rd party software... "science".

The headphones are tuned to sound a certain way on a hardware level, you are just adding another layer to alter that. I want the purest unaltered sound the headphone was meant to produce.

If you don't think it's science you haven't looked at any of the research I linked...
All headphone drivers are limited in response by physics, there is no perfect driver. They are tuned by the manufacturer but that tuning can only do so much, no drivers operate linearly.
The only real world solution to get ideal response is to use EQ.

If you are more interested in listening to a headphone than listening to the music as it was recorded and produced, thats cool, but you aren't contributing anything to the discussion.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #3,287 of 4,845
Hmm. So does balanced just sound louder? Here's the thing, I sometimes feel that my laptop doesn't achieve a sound as three-dimensional as is possible with these, especially on some files (even FLACs sometimes). If balanced on my DAP fixes that (do suggest a good cable), then I'd prefer the DAP.

I have mentioned that I run them balanced just to give you a hint about the power output I am using.
Other than that as other people suggested there is no need to run them balanced for them to sound good.
A single ended dap with enough power will do them justice.
BUT if you have a dap that is meant to run balanced i.e Fiio X5 iii then you should run them balanced to get the better sound quality.
As for me I prefer to run all my gear balanced because fully balanced designs are better with clarity , separation and staging.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #3,288 of 4,845
I have mentioned that I run them balanced just to give you a hint about the power output I am using.
Other than that as other people suggested there is no need to run them balanced for them to sound good.
A single ended dap with enough power will do them justice.
BUT if you have a dap that is meant to run balanced i.e Fiio X5 iii then you should run them balanced to get the better sound quality.
As for me I prefer to run all my gear balanced because fully balanced designs are better with clarity , separation and staging.
Well, I was thinking of the hiby r3

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #3,290 of 4,845
THIS

Not sure I would call some dude changing some Bass, Mid, and Treble levels in some 3rd party software... "science".

The headphones are tuned to sound a certain way on a hardware level, you are just adding another layer to alter that. I want the purest unaltered sound the headphone was meant to produce.

That's fine - you're absolutely welcome to listen to the headphones non-eq'd out of the box.
But psychoacoustics and the harmen response curve is about making the headphones produce sound to match the way we hear/perceive .... there is a lot of science behind it.
The thread can accommodate both groups can it not?

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #3,294 of 4,845
THIS

Like!

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,295 of 4,845
My point was that most people listening to EDM are probably not listening on open back headphones, so mixing EDM to sound good on something like the 58X means it probably won't sound that good out of speakers or closed back headphones. The bass response of the 58x is good but flat, when you listen to a mix on speakers in a room (the way recordings are meant to be heard most of the time), the bass will sound significantly boosted. That means if you mix with the 58X to get the amount of bass that sounds good for EDM, when you play it back on speakers it will probably be too much.

The 58X would be recommended over the 6XX, but neither should be recommended for monitoring, especially EDM.
That is unless you EQ them...

I want a third (actually 4th) reference point sound and response-wise. EQ alone is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a less expensive alternative to the Beyer DT 1990.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1990-pro.html

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #3,298 of 4,845
I am looking for a less expensive alternative to the Beyer DT 1990.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1990-pro.html

The 990 Pro has similar response to the 1990 and costs ~$150
1990.PNG
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt-1990-pro/

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #3,299 of 4,845
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #3,300 of 4,845
I have to laugh at the people doing the felt mods and whatnot, just the slightest bit of EQ would be vastly more effective. Not to mention you don't risk breaking anything and you can do a real A/B test to see if you like it

Precisely! My Loki is priceless in that regard no matter what headphone I use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back