Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Nov 24, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #2,941 of 4,845
I tought the Argon was good but it had too much bass, does it also excel in the mids and highs?

The Argon is a very balanced headphone, like the HD58X but better detailed and much more open sounding with huge soundscape in comparison. It's more akin to STAX Lambda than the HD58X....planar that is highly resolving and really has quite impressive extension while being really smooth. Bass on the Argon is actually less than my L300 Limiteds though....

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #2,942 of 4,845
The Argon is a very balanced headphone, like the HD58X but better detailed and much more open sounding with huge soundscape in comparison. It's more akin to STAX Lambda than the HD58X....planar that is highly resolving and really has quite impressive extension while being really smooth. Bass on the Argon is actually less than my L300 Limiteds though....

The only reason I will not, in the immediate future, consider the Argons is the looks. I mean, at the end of the day, it's a plain old T50rp. And no, I'm not complaining that that's ugly compared to whatever else, like the 58x or anything. No, no, no. I'm comparing it to the Fostex T60rp. There's a headphone with the same shape, same driver, same everything except for the cups. AND IT'S MADE OF WOOD. If ModHouse gave us a T60rp Argon.... Ooh boy. I understand the reasons he may choose not to do that, but still. It's gonna be a while before I consider the normal, boring old looking Argons as long as the T60 exist.

Nov 25, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,943 of 4,845
How do the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads affect the HD58X? I've seen that they increase mid-bass and mid warmth for the HD600, as well as taking out some of their highs.
Hopefully they don't affect the HD58X the same way...but the Dekoni pads seem to affect all headphones the same way.

Personally, I'm looking for something to make the sound a little leaner.

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #2,946 of 4,845
How do the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads affect the HD58X? I've seen that they increase mid-bass and mid warmth for the HD600, as well as taking out some of their highs.
Hopefully they don't affect the HD58X the same way...but the Dekoni pads seem to affect all headphones the same way.

Personally, I'm looking for something to make the sound a little leaner.
I'm not sure you can get the HD58X to sound any leaner with a ear pad swap since the stock ear pads are already fairly open and I've never seen anyone mention any alternative ear pad to reduce bass or mids but I'm a bit curious to see if there are ear pads that would make the HD58X (any HD6 series) leaner sounding.

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #2,947 of 4,845
I've just received HD58X and I was wondering whether this file is good for burn-in and would 10 hours be enough?

As @ktm said above, anything will do at listenable volume levels. Just leave a playlist playing and be done with it. You don't need white noise, pink noise or green noise with brown blotches. As far as time, ask 10 times and you'll receive 100 different opinions, none more right or wrong than the previous one. For me, I stopped noticing a difference at about 20-30 hours. I was leaving my 58x playing for 10 hours every day while at work. First day the differences were quite noticeable, especially in the bass, it became a bit tighter and maybe a bit deeper and it stopped improving after that. Then at 20 hours I noticed the treble was smoother, which I think improved a bit more after the third 10 hour session. After that I couldn't notice a difference no matter how hard I tried to find one. And I was testing with the same track (And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope from Ne Obliviscaris, the first 1 or 2 minutes are pure bliss on a good set of gear), so I'd spot the differences consistently. Mind you, the degree of certainty for how much difference I noticed vs how much was really there is quite low. It could very well be me getting used to the sound. The only thing I can say for sure is that there was some audible difference between 0 and 30 hours. Take that as you want. But if you want an opinion, do the bare minimum and be done with it. The headphones are gonna work when you're using them anyway, so however much burn-in they need, they'll get it eventually.

@DavidA
Well, what I'd really like to know is whether the velour pads (or even the hybrids) will affect the sound and if yes, by how much. Seeing as Massdrop has the velour Dekoni pads for like 30$ or so, I'd really like a pair that's a bit softer than the stock pads that will also eventually disintegrate.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,950 of 4,845
I have a question for you guys.
I was wondering if earpads on 58x and 6xx are compatiable.

They kinda look different, but Im not sure its becasue I had 6xx for a year and used it, or just different from the beginning.

Mine are the same, within the variability of wear and tear for an extra year or so of use on my 6XX. Even then, I've swapped mine around enough that couldn't tell you which is which without very close Investigation.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2,951 of 4,845
I have a question for you guys.
I was wondering if earpads on 58x and 6xx are compatiable.

They kinda look different, but Im not sure its becasue I had 6xx for a year and used it, or just different from the beginning.
they are compatible and pretty much the same from what I've seen so far between my HD58X, HD650, HD6XX and a friends HD600 and HD660S. Like others have noted wear and tear over time will alter the sound a bit so in your case where there is a visible difference in looks they would most likely sound different.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #2,953 of 4,845
Could someone recommend me some good DAPs under or around $200 that could drive the HD58X Properly? I'm looking into the HiBy R3, the Fiio M7, the Cowon Plenue D and the Sony NWA45. The Cowon apparently does drive headphones under 300 Ohm, but I've seen posts from people complaining about it unable to drive headphones with much lower impedance. Which of these would sound best with the 58X?

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #2,954 of 4,845
Could someone recommend me some good DAPs under or around $200 that could drive the HD58X Properly? I'm looking into the HiBy R3, the Fiio M7, the Cowon Plenue D and the Sony NWA45. The Cowon apparently does drive headphones under 300 Ohm, but I've seen posts from people complaining about it unable to drive headphones with much lower impedance. Which of these would sound best with the 58X?
I haven't heard any of the DAPs that you listed but the HD58X is quite easy to drive and it seems to work quite well with almost any gear that I've tried. I do have Fiio X3 and X3ii that work really well but the HD58X does a touch better with my desktop system but its not a night and day difference. Even my Galaxy S8 will drive the HD58X and its quite close to my desktop system since while I can tell the difference many of my friends who just give a quite listen can't hear any differences.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2,955 of 4,845

I agree with DavidA, the HD58X sounds good, even great, from anything I've plugged it into. For DAP I would just choose the ones that has the features you are interested in along with sound signature you are interested in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back