Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 16, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #2,626 of 4,845
I need to know how much is High Gain 3oclock for a normal person since i can't really judge very high volumes.
If you have a smart phone get an app that measures dB levels, its not the most accurate but for what you are trying to find its close enough. Some apps also let you calibrate the readings so they are a little more accurate but note that most phone mics are limited in their FR range.
SPL-measurement-1.jpg SPL-measurement-2.jpg
I use the closed cell foam to keep outside sounds from affecting the readings which are within 2-3dB of what a high end SPL meter measured. FWIW I'd hate for anyone to damage their hearing or gear so I wouldn't listen at over 85dB which is where most safety guild lines say is a safe level.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #2,627 of 4,845
If you have a smart phone get an app that measures dB levels, its not the most accurate but for what you are trying to find its close enough. Some apps also let you calibrate the readings so they are a little more accurate but note that most phone mics are limited in their FR range.

I use the closed cell foam to keep outside sounds from affecting the readings which are within 2-3dB of what a high end SPL meter measured. FWIW I'd hate for anyone to damage their hearing or gear so I wouldn't listen at over 85dB which is where most safety guild lines say is a safe level.
I tried this with this exact app. It showed me highest 77dB. Seems kinda odd, i'll try again with similiar foam thingy.
Edit: Tried again with similiar foam thingy. Had 12 o'clock on the magni. App didnt go over 80dB which seems kinda weird since i'm pusing like 4 or 5 volts to the headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #2,628 of 4,845
Sorry for the off topic... I tried the app (Galaxy S8+) with foam, HDV820 and HD800S. The loudest level that I usually listen was about 70dB (10 o'clock). With the volume at 2 o'clock I got reading around 80dB. I don't think I could even try 85dB :beyersmile:

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2,629 of 4,845
Those phone DB meters can show you whatever, you need calibrated microphone information to get accurate readings.
Those phone APPs are BS, IF it works the app needs also calibrate the mic and every phone has differend mic. Dont believe any app has done it.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,630 of 4,845
I tried this with this exact app. It showed me highest 77dB. Seems kinda odd, i'll try again with similiar foam thingy.
Edit: Tried again with similiar foam thingy. Had 12 o'clock on the magni. App didnt go over 80dB which seems kinda weird since i'm pusing like 4 or 5 volts to the headphone.
It could be a number of things: mic limitation, calibration, or type of music/frequency that the mic is sensitive to. As @Terozzzz noted you should do at least a rough calibration since all phones/mics are different.

For me if I have my phone on the table when talking to my GF it registers about 55-60dB which is what normal conversations are around so I know that the app is "in the ball park" which is good enough for me. My normal listening level is 65-75dB which is a bit louder than a normal conversation which is what the app reads and it was within 2-3dB of my friends OSHA calibrated meter used for his work. I did notice that low frequencies register a higher dB than highs or mids with my phone (Galaxy S8) while my old Galaxy S5 is a little more even in readings between bass, mids and highs.

As for readings around 77dB does it sound loud to you? For me I can only listen at 80dB for a few minutes at the most before it get painful/irritating and if you want "exact" readings then you will have to get a dedicated meter that reads the full spectrum of frequencies and most of the under $100 ones don't do this IIRC and it will have to be calibrated.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #2,631 of 4,845
Thanks I don't really plan on using it as a usb dac especially if I can hook a Bluetooth adapter on to a A5 which I was leaning towards, do you think the HD58X respond well to tube amps or should I just stick to solid state?

The only tube amp i have tried them is the mj2 which is an overkill for them.
I liked them very much from Q1 ii - balanced and i am enjoying them now from Q5 - balanced.
My opinion is that HD58x benefit from a clear and clean dac/amp.
So i don't see why you can't use them with an entry level tube amp like vali 2 as long as it is clean , clear and fast.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,633 of 4,845
@DavidA
We were talking with you about this whole thing with apps measuring loudness a few pages back, am I right? I was reading the last 2 pages and it never occured to me that my phone could be overestimating too much when I told you that my listening levels reach 90dB. So I fired up the dB measuring app and went to my sister and asked her to start talking, so we kinda had a conversation and it would read consistently over 70dB (sometimes even over 75dB) even though were weren't so close to each other. So I calibrated the app and turned the levels down a notch or two. I used a headphone pad instead of closed cell foam (didn't have any on hand) and measured my 58x again at levels I'd consider loud. Now it reads about 80-85dB. So yeah, seems I'm not going deaf yet. Yay for me!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #2,634 of 4,845
I think it's a good idea to have some idea of listening levels and get educated about it. The phone might prove useful without the expenses.

Geez... I start to feel as I get older that as we age...we start to dislike loud bass.

Old people probably don't like treble...they just find bass to be unpleasant and discomforting...it's all wear and tear related. That's what I am starting to feel.

Protect your hearing young ones...so you can slap dat bass for longer!

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #2,636 of 4,845
The only tube amp i have tried them is the mj2 which is an overkill for them.
I liked them very much from Q1 ii - balanced and i am enjoying them now from Q5 - balanced.
My opinion is that HD58x benefit from a clear and clean dac/amp.
So i don't see why you can't use them with an entry level tube amp like vali 2 as long as it is clean , clear and fast.
Well the tube amp I would consider is the little bear B4 as I've heard good things, I just don't know if there's much benefit to it over say a A3 or A5

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #2,637 of 4,845
Has anyone here listened to both the HD58X's and HD6XX's? And if so, would you say the difference in sound overall is a lot?

I've read/watched a few comparisons, with people describing the differences, and to paraphrase, many of them describe both headphones as having "slightly clearer this" or "slightly more pronounced that" compared to each other.

I've recently purchased the HD58X's, and I'm also considering buying the 6XX's too, but if they sound fairly similar overall, I'll probably just stick with the 58X's.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #2,638 of 4,845
Is this thing closer in sound signature to the HD600 or the HD660 S?

Extremely similar to the HD660S, with more extended bass.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #2,639 of 4,845
Has anyone here listened to both the HD58X's and HD6XX's? And if so, would you say the difference in sound overall is a lot?

I've read/watched a few comparisons, with people describing the differences, and to paraphrase, many of them describe both headphones as having "slightly clearer this" or "slightly more pronounced that" compared to each other.

I've recently purchased the HD58X's, and I'm also considering buying the 6XX's too, but if they sound fairly similar overall, I'll probably just stick with the 58X's.

I own and use both all the time. The HD6XX has a lot better and more natural mids. It is more romantic. But it also has a bit more mid bass, which makes rhe headphone sound warmer, less dynamic. The HD58X has an overall cooler sound, mids are a bit more shouty. The HD58X has better and more extended bass or may we call it sub bass and slightly less mid bass, so the sound is more clear and dynamic, with in my opinion lacking the sweet romantic and natural mids of the HD58X. It also has a bit more high mids/low treble energy. Both headphones are outstanding headphones, and I’m not even invoking the price here when I say they have outstanding sound. And yes both headphones are outstanding buys, the price is incredible. So it makes sense to own both if you love good open headphones, one for pop, jazz, rock, intimate classical music (piano, violin, small ensembles) and voice oriented music, and the other for EDM, hip hop, dance music with a lot of bass components and more dramatic pieces of classical music (Bach Organ, Strauss, big philharmonic ensembles).
Lastly, the HD58X can get away with a very decent sound without a headphone amp with an iPad or iPhone, although a good DAC/amp will probably benefit both headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,640 of 4,845
I own and use both all the time. The HD6XX has a lot better and more natural mids. It is more romantic. But it also has a bit more mid bass, which makes rhe headphone sound warmer, less dynamic. The HD58X has an overall cooler sound, mids are a bit more shouty. The HD58X has better and more extended bass or may we call it sub bass and slightly less mid bass, so the sound is more clear and dynamic, with in my opinion lacking the sweet romantic and natural mids of the HD58X. It also has a bit more high mids/low treble energy. Both headphones are outstanding headphones, and I’m not even invoking the price here when I say they have outstanding sound. And yes both headphones are outstanding buys, the price is incredible. So it makes sense to own both if you love good open headphones, one for pop, jazz, rock, intimate classical music (piano, violin, small ensembles) and voice oriented music, and the other for EDM, hip hop, dance music with a lot of bass components and more dramatic pieces of classical music (Bach Organ, Strauss, big philharmonic ensembles).
Lastly, the HD58X can get away with a very decent sound without a headphone amp with an iPad or iPhone, although a good DAC/amp will probably benefit both headphones.

Well damn, not sure that's the answer I wanted to here! I guess my wallet will be taking another hit... Haha.

Talking of Amps/DACs, I'm currently searching for one around the £100-£200 mark. Do you know of any you could recommend around that price? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back