Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,611 of 4,845
I just picked up these headphones if I wanted to have a portable amp setup is a FiiO A3 sufficient or FiiO A5 would be a better choice also, I suppose I should ask if a Q1 mark II is worth consideration, my plan reguardless of device is to attach a Bluetooth adapter to the source in on the amps.

I use mine w/Q1 mark II on high gain and it does a very decent job. Even on regular gain it's OK w/the 58X. The only can I need high gain is my HE-4XX's--they really need the juice.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #2,612 of 4,845
Are you sure that its more power that you need? I would think the limiting factor is the use of BT for connection but since I don't use a BT connection other than for linking phone to computer to transfer small files is it different for audio? I know a few friends who have BT headphones are always complaining about sound quality so I figured that its a BT limitation. Like @PurpleAngel above my HD58X sounds quite good out of my Galaxy S8 (which is decent at best) but since I never use them as a portable they are usually connected to my Ember but most of my non-audio nut friends would say that there is very little difference between the Ember and Galaxy S8.
It does seem strange I have a galaxy s9+ but I'm going to be getting rid of it for a phone that won't have a headphone jack, but I've played with vmoda M100's and M50x's and both sound better through a FiiO BTR1 then through my phone's headphone jack, definitely more loud but also more punchy the M100's I was about to sell due to such poor sound quality before I hooked them to a BTR1

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,613 of 4,845
It does seem strange I have a galaxy s9+ but I'm going to be getting rid of it for a phone that won't have a headphone jack, but I've played with vmoda M100's and M50x's and both sound better through a FiiO BTR1 then through my phone's headphone jack, definitely more loud but also more punchy the M100's I was about to sell due to such poor sound quality before I hooked them to a BTR1
What you seem to be describing is that you want an amp that is cleaner and maybe a touch on the bright side, not more power. I have a few friends who have iPhone X and the missing headphone jack is one thing they really hate about them so the don't even bother listening to music with their iPhone at this point and pretty much only listen at home or work. I had the M100 a few years back and still have a M50x and both do sound better with a clean / slightly bright amp since they are both a bit too warm to start with. The HD58X is not quite as warm sounding so to me it goes a bit better with a wider variety of gear.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #2,614 of 4,845
I just picked up these headphones if I wanted to have a portable amp setup is a FiiO A3 sufficient or FiiO A5 would be a better choice also, I suppose I should ask if a Q1 mark II is worth consideration, my plan reguardless of device is to attach a Bluetooth adapter to the source in on the amps.

Fiio q1 mark ii is designed to work better as a usb DAC with balanced out.
For your needs the A3 is the way to go but if you can stretch your budget the A5 is better sounding amp.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #2,616 of 4,845
I've been away from the headphone game for a few years now and I'm yearning to have a full sized open can again. Both the 58X and 6XX seem like amazing value options, so I'm trying to decide which one is best for me (And I've wanted to try the Senn 600 series for a long time now!).

The last headphone I had was a DT 880 600 Ohm Premium. It was a great headphone, I loved its clarity and speed, as well as the comfort and user serviceability. I used it for about two and a half years but I grew dissatisfied with it in the long run due to the somewhat thinner and drier sound it had. I'd also say that it was a tad bit too bright and could've used a tad bit more bass. My bread and butter with music is Metal (Thrash, Black, Death, Industrial, a bit of Doom and Groove) and Electronic (IDM, Ambient, Downtempo, Trip Hop, DnB) and I also enjoy a handful of other miscellaneous stuff on the side; such as folk, rock, punk, jazz, hip hop and OSTs.

From what I've heard about them and the measurements I've seen, I'm currently leaning towards the 58X. For Electronic music I think the extra subbass it has would be greatly appreciated (and subbass is just a precious resource in general with open dynamics) and I've seen it described as a slightly more exciting listen than the 650/6XX which would probably be good for metal. FWIW I'd be driving them with a NFB15.32 and they would also do the occassional bit of gaming and movie duty.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,617 of 4,845
IFrom what I've heard about them and the measurements I've seen, I'm currently leaning towards the 58X. For Electronic music I think the extra subbass it has would be greatly appreciated (and subbass is just a precious resource in general with open dynamics) and I've seen it described as a slightly more exciting listen than the 650/6XX which would probably be good for metal. FWIW I'd be driving them with a NFB15.32 and they would also do the occassional bit of gaming and movie duty.
My 58X is on the way so i cant say yet.
But as for Metal the HD600 & HD660s are better than the HD6XX, i'd lean towards the HD600 more for most western metal & HD660s more the industrial metals (& Eastern metal). The HD6XX might be smooth with a lot of songs, but congested metal...(Amon Amarth, Eluveitie, sonic syndicate e.t.c.) Its pure trash & yes thats my opinion Not a fact. Light rock/Metal like Kamelot, Marilyn Manson its ok with. Nightwish its up in the air. So if the HD58X really is similar to the HD660s it should be good.

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,618 of 4,845
I've been away from the headphone game for a few years now and I'm yearning to have a full sized open can again. Both the 58X and 6XX seem like amazing value options, so I'm trying to decide which one is best for me (And I've wanted to try the Senn 600 series for a long time now!).

The last headphone I had was a DT 880 600 Ohm Premium. It was a great headphone, I loved its clarity and speed, as well as the comfort and user serviceability. I used it for about two and a half years but I grew dissatisfied with it in the long run due to the somewhat thinner and drier sound it had. I'd also say that it was a tad bit too bright and could've used a tad bit more bass. My bread and butter with music is Metal (Thrash, Black, Death, Industrial, a bit of Doom and Groove) and Electronic (IDM, Ambient, Downtempo, Trip Hop, DnB) and I also enjoy a handful of other miscellaneous stuff on the side; such as folk, rock, punk, jazz, hip hop and OSTs.
From what I've heard about them and the measurements I've seen, I'm currently leaning towards the 58X. For Electronic music I think the extra subbass it has would be greatly appreciated (and subbass is just a precious resource in general with open dynamics) and I've seen it described as a slightly more exciting listen than the 650/6XX which would probably be good for metal. FWIW I'd be driving them with a NFB15.32 and they would also do the occassional bit of gaming and movie duty.
I use to have the NFB-15.32, then the NFB-15, now the NFB-11.28.
And I bought the HD58X a few months back and have be enjoying them ever sense.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #2,619 of 4,845

While I don't listen to metal much I'd think a planar like the HE4XX or HE400i might be a better match since most planar drivers are faster and don't get messed up when the music gets too intense. My headphone of choice for metal is a HE560, EL-8 or SR225e (modded) these days even if I do have the HD58X, HD650 and HD6XX along with a few others.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #2,620 of 4,845
Fiio q1 mark ii is designed to work better as a usb DAC with balanced out.
For your needs the A3 is the way to go but if you can stretch your budget the A5 is better sounding amp.
Thanks I don't really plan on using it as a usb dac especially if I can hook a Bluetooth adapter on to a A5 which I was leaning towards, do you think the HD58X respond well to tube amps or should I just stick to solid state?

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,621 of 4,845
What a hell is going on here? I did this mod and omg, the soundstage is now WIDE and i mean wider than stock. Like double almost.
Im pissing gold nuggets here....

I did not notice it. I did this day after it arrived, only to protect the drivers. I just prefer the look of the headphones without the huge foam.

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,623 of 4,845
While I don't listen to metal much I'd think a planar like the HE4XX or HE400i might be a better match since most planar drivers are faster and don't get messed up when the music gets too intense. My headphone of choice for metal is a HE560, EL-8 or SR225e (modded) these days even if I do have the HD58X, HD650 and HD6XX along with a few others.

I agree with this entirely! For any technical and fast metal, the 560 is an outstanding choice. Killer resolution, deep extending bass, and plenty of instrument separation. The EL-8 Ti has the same advantages, but with a drier, leaner sound. If it's something sludgier and heavier, I'll reach for the 400i with Ori pads, which has a lot more bass than the 560, but still does pretty well on the technical aspects.

Having heard the 650 and 600, I think they are a bit too mids-focused and rolled off for metal. Guitars and cymbals lack bite and the music feels light without the sub-bass.

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #2,625 of 4,845

Why don't you just get the Radsone ES100 and have an all in one unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back