Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #2,597 of 4,845
Picked these up as I had a slight interest and extra cash. I won't go into a full review on these as that's been covered and we all hear differently.
I will say that guy a page back (Video) is way off. I do agree on the treble region being a bit grainy and wonky. My test album is Miles Davis Kind of Blue SACD. I know this LP note for note from 1,000s of plays. The Senns are for sure missing something up top.
The top is muted for sure but its almost as if whole notes are missing. In All Blues most of the Ride work and Hi-Hat is completely missing, I switch over to my DT880's and its all there. Beautiful and crisp.
I'm not disappointed at all . The 58x are fantastic at $150. The bass is REALLY great the mids almost as nice as the DT880, Very close. The Highs, Meh!!!, Better then the 600/650 as memory serves. The lack of a big sound stage doesn't bother me as much, I do like in my head music sometimes. IMO the DT880 is a better can at the same price(Ebay), only thing is the bass on the 58x does hit harder even tho the 880 is just as tight. The 880 is better, my opinion of course..

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #2,598 of 4,845
If you want a poor man's HD800S go get a DT880.

Very headphone is a poor man’s something. The HD800 is a poor man’s Orpheus...

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #2,599 of 4,845
Picked these up as I had a slight interest and extra cash. I won't go into a full review on these as that's been covered and we all hear differently.
I will say that guy a page back (Video) is way off. I do agree on the treble region being a bit grainy and wonky. My test album is Miles Davis Kind of Blue SACD. I know this LP note for note from 1,000s of plays. The Senns are for sure missing something up top.
The top is muted for sure but its almost as if whole notes are missing. In All Blues most of the Ride work and Hi-Hat is completely missing, I switch over to my DT880's and its all there. Beautiful and crisp.
I'm not disappointed at all . The 58x are fantastic at $150. The bass is REALLY great the mids almost as nice as the DT880, Very close. The Highs, Meh!!!, Better then the 600/650 as memory serves. The lack of a big sound stage doesn't bother me as much, I do like in my head music sometimes. IMO the DT880 is a better can at the same price(Ebay), only thing is the bass on the 58x does hit harder even tho the 880 is just as tight. The 880 is better, my opinion of course..

Hi Magicman74--Just out of curiosity I tested my own, felt-modded and ear cup foam removed 58X's (plus additional mod of using the removed ear cup foam in place of the stock inner ear foam) and I went to Tidal and listened to All Blues in its entirety. I don't have the listening experience that you have on this record and it's not the SACD version, but I heard the Hi-Hat fairly well and when the Ride comes in it was pretty much all there and didn't sound buried or anything. As you can see from my foam mod, I'm striving to get a little more "air" into my 58's, so I recognize the need to lose a bit of the "wooly" presentation that they can give. Maybe the mods make that much of a difference to the treble. I noticed an improvement but nothing really drastic. That said, I wouldn't want to go back to stock as I want to give the 58's every chance to produce as much hi-frequency as possible.

My setup was just FiiO X5III line out to a FiiO Q1Mk2 then balanced of the Q1 and into the 58X's with a balanced cable. It was Tidal Hi-Fi, Kind of Blue-Legacy Edition. I recognize that the cymbal energy isn't going to have the same impact and vividness of the DT-880 (I used to own a pair so I pretty much remember how they sound) but I wouldn't say it was missing for me in my setup.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #2,601 of 4,845
Is anyone here running Magni 2U or Magni 3 with the HD58X? How far can u go on high gain?

Like Tony Montana said in Scarface: « First you get the money, and with the money, you get the power, and with the power, you get the woman... and with the right woman, you may get to the top! » With the HD58X and the Magni3 on high gain, you may get to the top!

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #2,603 of 4,845
What a hell is going on here? I did this mod and omg, the soundstage is now WIDE and i mean wider than stock. Like double almost.
Im pissing gold nuggets here....
Can anyone confirm that this actually works or am i on a acid back flash here..? I took the foam off and cut from it small coin size piece and glued with super glue over the driver metal part to cover the hole.
The sound is now, damn im speechless.. Like a new headphones on crack. More accurate, bass is not muddy anymore and the soundstage is just pure magic now.
AQ Nighthawks are done, garbage. Audeze SINE, garbage too, even modded....
20181016_010203_HDR.jpg

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #2,604 of 4,845
Is anyone here running Magni 2U or Magni 3 with the HD58X? How far can u go on high gain?
Before you damage your hearing or headphone? :ksc75smile:. Not sure what you are asking here but either amp will drive the HD58X to levels far to loud for most.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #2,605 of 4,845
I just picked up these headphones if I wanted to have a portable amp setup is a FiiO A3 sufficient or FiiO A5 would be a better choice also, I suppose I should ask if a Q1 mark II is worth consideration, my plan reguardless of device is to attach a Bluetooth adapter to the source in on the amps.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #2,606 of 4,845
I just picked up these headphones if I wanted to have a portable amp setup is a FiiO A3 sufficient or FiiO A5 would be a better choice also, I suppose I should ask if a Q1 mark II is worth consideration, my plan reguardless of device is to attach a Bluetooth adapter to the source in on the amps.
My HTC One E9 plus smartphone can decenlty drive my 150-Ohm HD58X.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,607 of 4,845
My HTC One E9 plus smartphone can decenlty drive my 150-Ohm HD58X.
Well I have Vmoda M100's that have a low ohm rating but are definitely not drivable to my liking from my phone, once I hooked a FiiO BTR1 to it though it got alot better but if I could get even more power I think they could be better I likely could go with a A3 I think

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #2,610 of 4,845
Well I have Vmoda M100's that have a low ohm rating but are definitely not drivable to my liking from my phone, once I hooked a FiiO BTR1 to it though it got alot better but if I could get even more power I think they could be better I likely could go with a A3 I think
Are you sure that its more power that you need? I would think the limiting factor is the use of BT for connection but since I don't use a BT connection other than for linking phone to computer to transfer small files is it different for audio? I know a few friends who have BT headphones are always complaining about sound quality so I figured that its a BT limitation. Like @PurpleAngel above my HD58X sounds quite good out of my Galaxy S8 (which is decent at best) but since I never use them as a portable they are usually connected to my Ember but most of my non-audio nut friends would say that there is very little difference between the Ember and Galaxy S8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back