Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 8, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2,521 of 4,845
Ya even the Sennheiser guys was telling me how crazy that MD deal is. Your not getting a HD660 reject in the HD58x I can tell you that much. There is no possible way I would purchase a HD660 even at half price knowing how good my HD58x is. HD660 does sound like it has more detail and stage and images a bit better but other than that. Music satisfaction wise. It wasn't better to my ears. Even on a high end amp they was pumping the sound out of. What I should have done was take my HD58x with me. Damn. Maybe next year.

My HD58x out of my Ibasso PB3 in balanced sound just as good to my ears. Lol.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,522 of 4,845
I need a closed HD58x. I NEED a closed isolated HD58x that completely immerses and isolates. K553 is not surprisingly has more in common with K712 and it's isolation is bleh.

Told the Fostex TR-X00 does not have that.

HP50 is close, but too small, I want something that surrounds my ear completely like the K712/553/HD58x.

Any suggestions? Oh price $100-400.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #2,523 of 4,845
Ya even the Sennheiser guys was telling me how crazy that MD deal is. Your not getting a HD660 reject in the HD58x I can tell you that much. There is no possible way I would purchase a HD660 even at half price knowing how good my HD58x is. HD660 does sound like it has more detail and stage and images a bit better but other than that. Music satisfaction wise. It wasn't better to my ears. Even on a high end amp they was pumping the sound out of. What I should have done was take my HD58x with me. Damn. Maybe next year.

My HD58x out of my Ibasso PB3 in balanced sound just as good to my ears. Lol.

I already own the 6XX, but I’m awfully tempted to grab the 58X just to have them. The original 580 Jubilee truly is a noteworthy headphone in the annals of high end audio history.

For those who own both, is the build quality and parts used in any way subpar compared to the 6XX? Does the high gloss scratch easy?

I want the same case the 6XX comes in for the 58X, but it appears Sennheiser doesn’t sell it separately, or at least I couldn’t find it under Accessories on its website.

Massdrop was smart to work out things with Sennheiser so one can get a 6XX or 58X quickly instead of the months it used to take. That was always my reservation in earlier drops.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #2,524 of 4,845
I’m also waiting for the HD 800 drop. Done deal.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #2,525 of 4,845
I need a closed HD58x. I NEED a closed isolated HD58x that completely immerses and isolates. K553 is not surprisingly has more in common with K712 and it's isolation is bleh.

HP50 is close, but too small, I want something that surrounds my ear completely like the K712/553/HD58x.

Beyerdynamic DT150, underrated Headphones IMO, some people say it sounds like a closed hd650.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #2,526 of 4,845
Anybody has paired the HD 58X with either iBasso DX80 or Xduoo XD-05? Any impressions?
How do these sound on good recorded Progressive Rock tracks by Steven Wilson or Pink Floyd?
Any impressions are greatly appreciated!

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #2,528 of 4,845
Yeah there is odd distortion to it, almost like background noise. Fulla 2 w/ HD58x. Definitely more prominent with K712. Odd crackling sound to it. I don't like it, it's annoying to hear. This on google music stream and Tidal. Yeah it's unlistenable.
Ah, that's a relief! Yes, it's a lot like bad crackling. Like there's someone next to my ear crushing aluminum foil at times. The fact that it happens consistently at the same exact moments during the song and across many combinations of gear probably steers the possibilities away from it being a problem with my setup and rather with the music itself. That's a relief, I guess. Although, I can hear similar noises in other Machine Head songs, but none quite as bad as in Be Still And Know. Which is sad, because they are among my favorite bands. Oh well.

I wonder now what can be causing this... What is the reason why @Filter500 doesn't hear it? I mean, it's blatant on my end, it's obvious, not something you would miss. And it happens in the first 30 seconds of the song, so if he didn't hear it, it probably wasn't there. Maybe there's something wrong with the recording that better gear than the Q1 or the Fulla can handle fine? More testing needed, I suppose. But I can't do it. Not yet.

Well, modded MSR7 sound closer to the 58x than I'd like, so there's that. They are slightly more V shaped, but not much so. Other than those, If I were you I'd look at the Audio Technica WS1100is (And other models of their closed W line if you can fit them in your budget, not the WS line though), Sony MDR-1AM2, some Fostex T50 mods, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro for the adjustability, Takstar Pro82 for the affordability and Meze 99 Classic (Or the 99 Noir on Massdrop, great deal, great headphone). Those are what I can come up with off of the top of my head. There's probably more, but they escape me. Although I dunno how close to the 58x you wanna get, I have yet to hear a mids centric closed can at those price ranges. If I were you, I'd try to stick to as neutral a set as possible and then tweak them here and there, maybe pad roll a bit.

WIth all that said, I'd love, in theory, to get another pair of 58x at some point in my life and make them closed. I have no idea how I'd do that, but I could easily see myself building a wooden cup that clips on the back instead of the grill. Add leather pads on the front and you got a very interesting headphone. Will it be as good? Probably not. But at a point in my life where I can play with 150$ gear and not really care about it, I'd do it in a heartbeat for the fun of it. Plus, the possibility of it turning out alright is very intriguing. Yes, I'm sacrilegious, deal with it.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #2,529 of 4,845
Ah, that's a relief! Yes, it's a lot like bad crackling. Like there's someone next to my ear crushing aluminum foil at times. The fact that it happens consistently at the same exact moments during the song and across many combinations of gear probably steers the possibilities away from it being a problem with my setup and rather with the music itself. That's a relief, I guess. Although, I can hear similar noises in other Machine Head songs, but none quite as bad as in Be Still And Know. Which is sad, because they are among my favorite bands. Oh well.

I wonder now what can be causing this... What is the reason why @Filter500 doesn't hear it? I mean, it's blatant on my end, it's obvious, not something you would miss. And it happens in the first 30 seconds of the song, so if he didn't hear it, it probably wasn't there. Maybe there's something wrong with the recording that better gear than the Q1 or the Fulla can handle fine? More testing needed, I suppose. But I can't do it. Not yet.

As I said before, I listened on Spotify and heard nothing. Out of curiosity, I looked it up on YouTube:

Do you hear it here? I still can't hear it. I have heard the crackling you describe before on other music and occasions, when using my SMSL Sanskrith 6th DAC with my TV setup. It's a problem/error with the DAC, and not anything else, because I can switch on the fly using my receiver to hear the TV DAC and DVD player DAC and they exhibit no such problem.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,530 of 4,845
As I said before, I listened on Spotify and heard nothing. Out of curiosity, I looked it up on YouTube:

Do you hear it here? I still can't hear it. I have heard the crackling you describe before on other music and occasions, when using my SMSL Sanskrith 6th DAC with my TV setup. It's a problem/error with the DAC, and not anything else, because I can switch on the fly using my receiver to hear the TV DAC and DVD player DAC and they exhibit no such problem.

What the actual hell? It's gone. I went back and forth between this and Spotify. At about the 25 second and 45 second marks, it's clearly audible on Spotify. Bad, nasty crackling. On YouTube, nothing. What gives? It also happens on my phone and through my PC's onboard audio. Damn, I'm confused.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2,531 of 4,845
The crackling on my SMSL is intermittent, and only happens rarely. I knew it wasn't the recording in my case because I would rewind the tracks and the noise would happen at different times than previously heard. Also, on one occasion the crackling was triggered by burned CDs through my DVD player vs. the original copies which had no issues. It's possible that there are errors in the stream that your DACs/sources are having trouble resolving.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #2,533 of 4,845
Is there anyone who owns an Audio Technica M50 and a 58X around and can give me a sound comparison between the two headphones?

I've owned the M50's for years and thinking of getting the 58X to experience something different in terms of sound quality/experience and I'm getting quite bored of the M50's lack of soundstage.

My only concern is that I may find the 58X too boring or maybe way too bass light and may not be quite satisfied.

Lastly, will I experience a lot more detail in music in the 58X compared to the M50?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #2,534 of 4,845
Is there anyone who owns an Audio Technica M50 and a 58X around and can give me a sound comparison between the two headphones?

I've owned the M50's for years and thinking of getting the 58X to experience something different in terms of sound quality/experience and I'm getting quite bored of the M50's lack of soundstage.

My only concern is that I may find the 58X too boring or maybe way too bass light and may not be quite satisfied.

Lastly, will I experience a lot more detail in music in the 58X compared to the M50?

I have both. The bass on the M50s is a bit more solid sounding as it is a closed back. The treble on the M50s is sharper and more pronounced. The M50s midrange is nasal and colored sounding to my ears. Soundstage is narrow on both the M50x and the 58X. I wouldn't go for the 58x if soundstage is the goal. My AKG K612s have a very wide soundstage. My DT990 Pros are also reasonably wide with a more solid center image compared to the K612. The 58x aren't boring, but they are much warmer sounding than the M50s. I won't speak on detail, as neither one has amazed me in that respect, but I imagine the colored sound of the M50s could be obscuring in some areas. The 58x have a very close to the head type of sound.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #2,535 of 4,845
I have both. The bass on the M50s is a bit more solid sounding as it is a closed back. The treble on the M50s is sharper and more pronounced. The M50s midrange is nasal and colored sounding to my ears. Soundstage is narrow on both the M50x and the 58X. I wouldn't go for the 58x if soundstage is the goal. My AKG K612s have a very wide soundstage. My DT990 Pros are also reasonably wide with a more solid center image compared to the K612. The 58x aren't boring, but they are much warmer sounding than the M50s. I won't speak on detail, as neither one has amazed me in that respect, but I imagine the colored sound of the M50s could be obscuring in some areas. The 58x have a very close to the head type of sound.

Thanks for the comparison! Much appreciated! I agree on the M50's midrange sounding nasal and colored.

As far as wide soundstage being the ultimate goal, I'm not really sure. All I know is that I want more separation of the elements. The M50 just sound like a wall and the sound wants to escape but just gets slammed against that wall. LOL. I just want something that doesn't have that wall effect, sounds more natural, airy, non-fatiguing, but still engaging and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back