Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 6, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #2,491 of 4,845
Cept the 58x doesn't have extended highs in comparison to the 6xx. Green is the 58x. The 6xx actually have more treble than the 58x. Both have a similar excellence in the mids. The Subbass and imaging is the biggest difference between the two headphones.

Yeah, you know best what I hear:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #2,492 of 4,845
What the heck are you talking about. Firstly, You edit your condensending original post? Bush league bro.
Secondly, what language are you reading? Not ONCE and let me repeat, not ONCE did I say he was wrong. He stated he’s never heard a closed back with an expansive soundstage and I gave him a few examples of “well known” headphones, not obscure HP’s that have excellent soundstage for a closed back. Maybe he would be interested in hearing them seeing he didn’t know. Maybe you should check them out.
I own the HD58x but what does that have to do with price? I have expensive and inexpensive HP and enjoy them all. Yes, that’s what Headfi is about. Sharing experiences for people who don’t know. You’re just condensending.
No one told ANYONE they were wrong.

That what he/she does, the ignore button is your friend :wink:

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #2,493 of 4,845
How does this compare with the HD600? I always thought the HD660s is a HD700 packaged and tuned like a HD600. Is the HD58X a slightly downgraded version of HD660s or something different?

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #2,495 of 4,845
Joined the drop! A new one came up.

Really like my 6XX and hoping the 58X can be the same with a bit more bass quantity and extension.

Personally, I don’t think they are the same; HD58X has more bass, yes, and more treble compared to the HD6XX, but there are also differences in soundscape/imaging.

To some the HD6XX is better, to others the HD58X; comes down to personal preference.
Flip a few pages back and you’ll see testaments to both accounts.

Myself, I’m in the HD6XX preference camp, but I think the HD58X is very good also.
:)

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2,496 of 4,845
As someone here said the driver has a lot of flex. does that mean if i was to blow it up by overpowering it, lets say putting 9Vrms through it, the voicecoil would burn out faster than the membrane tear itself to pieces?
also, do u think a lot of bass could overflex the driver even at lower power than 8.5Vrms?

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,497 of 4,845
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #2,498 of 4,845
Yeah, you know best what I hear:wink:

I think it's important to provide accurate info. Inspite of the differences we all tend to perceive, people should be able to read some objective facts about the two headphones. I found the frequency responses of the two headphones on Massdrop to be helpful.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #2,499 of 4,845
I think it's important to provide accurate info. Inspite of the differences we all tend to perceive, people should be able to read some objective facts about the two headphones. I found the frequency responses of the two headphones on Massdrop to be helpful.

I both agree and disagree with you. If you check the SABF measurements of the HD650 and HD58X they're identical from 1.000 HZ and down and I'm pretty sure that most people here would disagree these frequencies sound the same on both headphones.

That being said I too like an objective approach but in this hobby it's sometimes very hard to tell what is really objective...

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2,500 of 4,845
I both agree and disagree with you. If you check the SABF measurements of the HD650 and HD58X they're identical from 1.000 HZ and down and I'm pretty sure that most people here would disagree these frequencies sound the same on both headphones.

That being said I too like an objective approach but in this hobby it's sometimes very hard to tell what is really objective...

My girlfriend says she can’t hear the difference between my gear and her Apple earbuds.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2,501 of 4,845
My girlfriend says she can’t hear the difference between my gear and her Apple earbuds.

Your girlfriend probably has better talents...

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,502 of 4,845

I'd suspect those measurement might be from the prototypes. Them not having any clarification doesn't do anybody any service either.

I objectively agree with your comment about objectivity:wink:

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #2,503 of 4,845
You can look at this as a good thing (she's easy to please with audio) or a bad thing (might get on your case about buying too many headphones)

Agree with you that measurements don't always tell the whole story and even when you have objective measurements it doesn't mean that you and I will hear the same thing since we both hear differently, we might be listening at different levels, different genres, and also different upstream gear, too many variables.

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #2,504 of 4,845
I think the reason the 58x sounds clearer than the 6xx is the dip in frequency response from 1.5khz to 3.5khz, then there's a bit of a peak after said dip. I think this gives the perception of more treble to some. I don't hear the 58x as having more treble than 6xx, but it does sound clearer. I think the differences in frequency response actually are very close to what I heard between the two phones. But peoples perceptions are different and I respect that. That chart I posted is for the current version of the 58x/6xx. The 58x prototypes had more treble than the current ones do. Massdrop asking for a revision was the reason for the change.

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,505 of 4,845
Personally I find the statements of the HD650s amp dependence to be highly exaggerated. I also don't think that it scales any better than most other full sized headphones (in my experience everything sounds better through a better matching chain). The HD650 will of course need more power to shine as it has a higher impedance. Obviously YMMV as always :)

I do agree that the HD650 is technically superior though but the sound signature of the HD58X suits my preferences better.

At normal (ie lower) listening volume I also often prefer the signature of the HD58X for certain genres and (as one example) listening to TV dialogue.

As fare as "scaleabity" goes;
I don't know if you have access to a balanced set-up but if you want to truly hear how well the HD600/650 scale (in comparison to other similarly priced cans) a decent balanced amp will help demonstrate it.

If I want to listen to music at louder levels for a short period (ie a specific song) I'll reach for the HD650.
They don't break up/distort even at a volume that's higher than tolerable/safe for any length of time.

This may not be an issue for many but with very dynamic music, sometimes even moderately higher than normal listening can cause distortion when the music volume "peaks" for a short time.

I'm pretty sure this is due to the HD 600/650 higher 300 Ohms as you mentioned. But I also think there could be more to it than that. As I'm not an engineer, I'll simply enjoy it rather than try to explain why I hear their exceptional "scalability" to be actual rather than hype"

Your opinion that these cans don't scale any better than others is definitely in the minority (and I won't bother with IMO on that statement).

Nobody's arguing about or objecting to posting graphs; I was simply trying to state that two different headphones with near identical graphs along a specific audio spectrum can sound quite different.

I didn't realize with all the YMMV and "I think" or IMO that this was some kind of competition as to which is the "better" headphone. Besides, we have said pretty much the same things using different words.
They both have their strengths and weaknesses in different settings and (as stated several times already) I reach for one or the other depending on the music and type of anticipated listening session (e.g. volume,length and/or source).

Anyone truly interested can always buy both from Massdrop and hear/decide for themselve. Either pair will likely sell quickly at close to what you pay for them, although you might be very tempted to keep both :wink:.

I'm putting this to bed but feel free to :deadhorse: 'til the cows come home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back