Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 5, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #2,477 of 4,845
Thank you for your response, I am more interested than ever I see on massdrop there is the sennheiser hd 6xx and also the sennheiser hd 5xx jubilee, I pretty sure this has been covered before but I am going to make a purchase today and its crazy here at work so I don't have to time to read this whole thread and the jubilee drop is ending soon, can you give me short version of what is difference of the 2 if there is any, and if 50.00 difference is worth going to hd6xx or just get the hd5xx. my main concern is bass but I am not a bass head, and I don't like hot highs.

If you care for extended subbass and treble the HD58X is the way to go. If midrange is your thing I'd say the HD6XX.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #2,478 of 4,845
Perhaps I haven't heard a really spacious sounding closed-back, but the sound stage can depend on the track significantly as well. Binaural being an extreme example.
2 that come to mind instantly would be the TH900 amd ZMF Ori. The Atticus is no slouch either. Most of Zach’s closed back tuning has great stage and expansiveness. He!!, even the Meze 99 Classic has a surprisingly good SS.
The 900 and Ori approach or meet most open backs in SS other then the likes of the HD800S and such.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #2,479 of 4,845
Thank you for your response, I am more interested than ever I see on massdrop there is the sennheiser hd 6xx and also the sennheiser hd 5xx jubilee, I pretty sure this has been covered before but I am going to make a purchase today and its crazy here at work so I don't have to time to read this whole thread and the jubilee drop is ending soon, can you give me short version of what is difference of the 2 if there is any, and if 50.00 difference is worth going to hd6xx or just get the hd5xx. my main concern is bass but I am not a bass head, and I don't like hot highs.

6xx characteristics:
Midbass emphasis (veil)
Excellent mids
Laidback but detailed highs (more detail here than 58x)
Slower attack and decay (more romantic sounding)
Needs powerful amp to take advantage of full potential
Lacks sub-bass

58x characteristics:
Very quick attack and decay
Good sub-bass
Less mid-bass emphasis
Laid back highs
Excellent mids
Sounds really nice from your phone or a DAP

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #2,480 of 4,845
I'd say get the HD58X based on what sound you seem to prefer (want bass but not a bass head). Agree with @tolis626 that unless you are going to get a decent amp (OTL/tube amp) I'd pass on the HD6XX since they are much more amp dependent in how they sound.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #2,481 of 4,845
I found my old Topping NX1 amp (the original version) and thought I'd give it a try with the 58X. I feel certain there's an improvement. Slightly better soundstage and a touch more life in the highs.

Steinberg UR22 MKII -> Topping NX1 -> HD 58X = :beyersmile:

I'm looking forward to trying a better amp at some point.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,482 of 4,845
2 that come to mind instantly would be the TH900 amd ZMF Ori. The Atticus is no slouch either. Most of Zach’s closed back tuning has great stage and expansiveness. He!!, even the Meze 99 Classic has a surprisingly good SS.
The 900 and Ori approach or meet most open backs in SS other then the likes of the HD800S and such.

SilverEars is absolutely correct on his assessment of open-air vs closed. Dunno what point you're trying to make, for a question asked by someone considering a $150 HD58x. He answered a question to someone's previous experience is V-Moda and $250 noise cancelling, and you're only response is $1,300 closed headphones even headphone fans wouldn't know about.

But I guess that's what makes head-fi, head-fi. Ask a simple question, get an answer saying you're wrong, $1,300 closed headphone has soundstage.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #2,483 of 4,845
Seriously?!?!? C'mon SERIOUSLY?!?!?

Dude asked about SS compared to his V-Moda and $250 noise cancelling Sony, and your response is... Closed headphones have just as big SS as HD58x... And the two come to mind are $1300, obscure headphones majority of headphone fans wouldn't know about.

SilverEars is absolutely correct on his assessment of open-air vs closed. Dunno what point you're trying to make, for a question asked by someone considering a $150 HD58x.
Dude, I mean, seriously.... dude??? A response like that to my response? Seriously? Dude?
If you read his post and mine? Really? Seriously? He made a “general”
Comment and I made a “general” response.
Seriously? Really?
lol. Most headphone fans wouldn’t know these obscure brands. Seriously?

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #2,484 of 4,845
SilverEars is absolutely correct on his assessment of open-air vs closed. Dunno what point you're trying to make, for a question asked by someone considering a $150 HD58x. He answered a question to someone's previous experience is V-Moda and $250 noise cancelling, and you're only response is $1,300 closed headphones even headphone fans wouldn't know about.

But I guess that's what makes head-fi, head-fi. Ask a simple question, get an answer saying you're wrong, $1,300 closed headphone has soundstage.
What the heck are you talking about. Firstly, You edit your condensending original post? Bush league bro.
Secondly, what language are you reading? Not ONCE and let me repeat, not ONCE did I say he was wrong. He stated he’s never heard a closed back with an expansive soundstage and I gave him a few examples of “well known” headphones, not obscure HP’s that have excellent soundstage for a closed back. Maybe he would be interested in hearing them seeing he didn’t know. Maybe you should check them out.
I own the HD58x but what does that have to do with price? I have expensive and inexpensive HP and enjoy them all. Yes, that’s what Headfi is about. Sharing experiences for people who don’t know. You’re just condensending.
No one told ANYONE they were wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #2,485 of 4,845
I could never find the perfect compliment to my HD650s.
You can't go wrong with these headphones. A lot of music is recorded using speakers that have this kind of strength and weakness. They don't replace the HD650. They compliment them perfectly.

You saved me a post with these comments; thanks for the perfect description of my very similar thoughts :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #2,486 of 4,845
If you care for extended subbass and treble the HD58X is the way to go. If midrange is your thing I'd say the HD6XX.

I'd agree... if you're using a good amp and listen at relatively high volume. Otherwise, for an all-rounder headphone (especially for portable or un-amped use) I'd go with the HD58X; but I own and will keep both :wink:

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #2,487 of 4,845

Cept the 58x doesn't have extended highs in comparison to the 6xx. See the below frequency responses for the 6xx and 58x, the 6xx response is in orange, the green one is the 58x. The 6xx actually have more treble than the 58x. Both have a similar excellence in the mids. The Subbass and imaging is the biggest difference between the two headphones.
Screenshot_20180916-233217.png

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #2,488 of 4,845
Green is the 58x.

Not sure what thist quote means but regardless...
Graphs are often notoriously misleading/unhelpful for subjective perception, as they can appear near identical between very different sounding headphones.

IMO the biggest difference between these cans is pretty subjective as well, due to people using different upstream gear and having different hearing etc.

This said, I agree that the difference in bass reproduction sounds quite different between them but the "perceived" accentuation in bass seems more to do with speed/clarity/impact than extension .

The HD 650s are "smoother" across the spectrum. But I think the tuning on the 58X helps with bass (and treble) accentuation as opposed to extension.

The HD650s IMO are the technically superior headphone if you have them properly amped. They also seem to respond/improve much more in balanced mode and with cable upgrades, especially when listening at higher volumes.

The 58X can sound like a superior headphone if/when unamped and/or listening from an average phone or portable player's headphone jack.

I appreciate both Sennheiser offerings and have found enough difference between them to warrant keeping and using both for different listening situations.

I've mentioned before that due to the 58X's superior perceived clarity and (IMO) actual bass impact (especially straight from portable devices) it would be very hard to decide which to keep if I had to choose one pair...just happy I don't have to :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #2,489 of 4,845
Does anyone know whether Sennheiser sells the display case the 6XX comes with separately? I want to get the HD 58X but I want a case for them.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #2,490 of 4,845
I'd agree... if you're using a good amp and listen at relatively high volume. Otherwise, for an all-rounder headphone (especially for portable or un-amped use) I'd go with the HD58X; but I own and will keep both :wink:

Personally I find the statements of the HD650s amp dependence to be highly exaggerated. I also don't think that it scales any better than most other full sized headphones (in my experience everything sounds better through a better matching chain). The HD650 will of course need more power to shine as it has a higher impedance. Obviously YMMV as always :)

I do agree that the HD650 is technically superior though but the sound signature of the HD58X suits my preferences better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back