Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 23, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #2,311 of 4,845
I haven't listened to 58x for more than a few minutes on SE, and haven't tried using them with a bluetooth adapter (I believe these are a thing). Balanced off the Q1 Mk2 they are excellent. The Q1 Mk2 really is an unsung hero in the cheap DAC/amp game. It's a good size for stacking on the go and dead quiet on my gear. It sounds like it was made for the 58x, drives them beautifully.

Agreed re the Q1 Mk2. I run my 58X's balanced out of my Q1 Mk2 hooked up to either my FiiO X5III or older Tegra Note 7, and sometimes with a Meridian Explorer2 added in for full Tidal MQA rendering (via UAPP). It can be quite a spectacle of a stack at times! I'm always surprised at how amazing the sound is with Tidal Hi Res tracks being fed from my circa-2014 Tegra via USB into the Q1's DAC and output via balanced into the 58X's. In fact, the Tegra/Q1 combo using UAPP is less prone to glitchiness than the X5III.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #2,312 of 4,845
Bass is outstanding on these cans. They are indeed suitable for different genres.

How is the Q1 MKII w/ full-sized headphones single-ended? This seems like a good option as there is a good chance my next phone won't have a headphone jack. I'm mostly looking to use it with a Dell Inspiron 13" laptop for movies and background music listening w/ HD58x and K712. Maybe I'll invest in balanced for HD58x.

Thanks.

Agreed re the Q1 Mk2. I run my 58X's balanced out of my Q1 Mk2 hooked up to either my FiiO X5III or older Tegra Note 7, and sometimes with a Meridian Explorer2 added in for full Tidal MQA rendering (via UAPP). It can be quite a spectacle of a stack at times! I'm always surprised at how amazing the sound is with Tidal Hi Res tracks being fed from my circa-2014 Tegra via USB into the Q1's DAC and output via balanced into the 58X's. In fact, the Tegra/Q1 combo using UAPP is less prone to glitchiness than the X5III.

Same as above.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #2,314 of 4,845
Here's is another review, but more in-depth. I somewhat agree with him although I've only recall the HD650 (which is suppose to be identical in sound to HD6XX). As far as imaging and sound stage, that part I've been always mixed with any impressions. I think there is slightly more clarity with the HD660S, but 58X is so similar in sound that pricing different is too far of a gap. I find the the dynamics is better with 58X (with it's bass response and the extension, which I find is the advantage among the siblings) compared to 660S, so there is a trade-off. Both sound very clear to me and similar in speed. I do like the imaging on both due to clarity though.

Despite the measurements, people do seem to find difference in sound between foam on and off.

This is my thinking. If 660S pricing was a mistake and not selling well, they can still make it up by selling 58X by a large volume. Looking at how many sold with 6XX, which was above 55k, I say that's quite a lot, and 58X can reach a high volume sold as well.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #2,315 of 4,845
Here's is another review, but more in-depth. I somewhat agree with him although I've only recall the HD650 (which is suppose to be identical in sound to HD6XX). As far as imaging and sound stage, that part I've been always mixed with any impressions. I think there is slightly more clarity with the HD660S, but 58X is so similar in sound that pricing different is too far of a gap. I find the the dynamics is better with 58X (with it's bass response and the extension, which I find is the advantage among the siblings) compared to 660S, so there is a trade-off. Both sound very clear to me and similar in speed. I do like the imaging on both due to clarity though.

Despite the measurements, people do seem to find difference in sound between foam on and off.

I figure my findings would be the same, but considering that I've never A-B them, I really can't tell the difference. Before I got back home to my DAC/amp I thought perhaps the HD660s would have an audible advantage in clarity, but after pairing the HD58x with my Aune S16/Burson Play I felt the HD58x improved hugely. It felt much more open and "clear" (than from my laptop or from the Dragonfly), though I could somewhat hear the "grain" that others have been speaking of.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #2,316 of 4,845
How is the Q1 MKII w/ full-sized headphones single-ended? This seems like a good option as there is a good chance my next phone won't have a headphone jack. I'm mostly looking to use it with a Dell Inspiron 13" laptop for movies and background music listening w/ HD58x and K712. Maybe I'll invest in balanced for HD58x.

Thanks.

Listening to the my Shanling M3s/Q1 Mk2 combo via the SE output right now with the 58x and it sounds pretty good. Definitely need high gain to get full sound. I think it's worth it to invest in a balanced cable to run with the Q1 Mk2.. The balanced output brings out a good bit more vividness and better separation from the 58x imo.

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #2,318 of 4,845
I have the HD 58X coming in soon and I currently have the FiiO Q1 Mark II and the iFi nano iDSD Black Label to pair them with. Can anyone give an opinion on either of these and how they sound with the 58X with single ended or balanced cables? I’ve been thinking about getting a tube amp but I’m curious to know how these might work with my current amp/dacs. Any input would be appreciated. :smile_phones:

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2,320 of 4,845
@tolis626, the Moonsaudio cables look like the ones sold by New Fantasia on the US Amazon site, decent cables for the price and I do agree with you about Mood Audio cables being over priced but in the future if you ever get to try a high end cable see if you can do a ABX to see if you can hear a difference, if you do then you might reconsider but if like many that don't hear any difference you can a some peace of mind that you "tried" some cables and came to your own conclusion on their "benefits"
Well, I don't know about headphone cables, but I remember back in 2011-ish when my father was doing his research on what speakers and amp to buy for the living room. So among other things we end up going on a high-end audio show in Athens and we spoke with a few guys to book listening sessions for stuff he was interested in. One guy in particular that owns an audio store in Athens set up a pair of Focal speakers whose exact model I can't remebmer, but they were great and very similar to the Viennas my father ended up buying (I even liked the Focals better, from what I remember). So when he saw we were actually interested in them, he started trying to sell us some expensive cables too, with the classic sales pitch that "if you're gonna get a pair of 2000€ speakers and an amp that costs about as much, you don't want your performance to be compromised by sub par quality cables". Then out he pulls the box of fancy cables. I distinctly remember a pair of banana plug speaker cables that were alledgedly made of silver and with high karat gold contacts and were thicker than ship rope, and a power cable that was twice as thick as that. Together that set I think cost about 600€ (or was that just the power cable? I don't remember). He lost me right when I could hear absolutely no difference. Like, zip, nada. It wasn't a case of the difference being too small to justify the price. It either did absolutely nothing (which would be my bet), or if it did something it was beyond my ears' ability to hear.

Ever since then, I've been quite sure that, if a cable is going to make a difference to sound, it's probably for the worse. Maybe a high resistance cable that messes with a headphone's impedance would hinder sound quality and then any proper cable would solve that and be an "upgrade". But if the cables you use meet a minimum quality standard... Then my guess is that that's about it. That's just my 2 cents though. :)

PS : Bar any unexpected delays, I'll receive my pair of 58x tomorrow. I'm excited. :D

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,321 of 4,845
Well, I don't know about headphone cables, but I remember back in 2011-ish when my father was doing his research on what speakers and amp to buy for the living room. So among other things we end up going on a high-end audio show in Athens and we spoke with a few guys to book listening sessions for stuff he was interested in. One guy in particular that owns an audio store in Athens set up a pair of Focal speakers whose exact model I can't remebmer, but they were great and very similar to the Viennas my father ended up buying (I even liked the Focals better, from what I remember). So when he saw we were actually interested in them, he started trying to sell us some expensive cables too, with the classic sales pitch that "if you're gonna get a pair of 2000€ speakers and an amp that costs about as much, you don't want your performance to be compromised by sub par quality cables". Then out he pulls the box of fancy cables. I distinctly remember a pair of banana plug speaker cables that were alledgedly made of silver and with high karat gold contacts and were thicker than ship rope, and a power cable that was twice as thick as that. Together that set I think cost about 600€ (or was that just the power cable? I don't remember). He lost me right when I could hear absolutely no difference. Like, zip, nada. It wasn't a case of the difference being too small to justify the price. It either did absolutely nothing (which would be my bet), or if it did something it was beyond my ears' ability to hear.

Ever since then, I've been quite sure that, if a cable is going to make a difference to sound, it's probably for the worse. Maybe a high resistance cable that messes with a headphone's impedance would hinder sound quality and then any proper cable would solve that and be an "upgrade". But if the cables you use meet a minimum quality standard... Then my guess is that that's about it. That's just my 2 cents though. :)

PS : Bar any unexpected delays, I'll receive my pair of 58x tomorrow. I'm excited. :D
Not to involve myself in the cable wars, but I always find this story quite entertaining and enlightening...

https://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #2,323 of 4,845
Is anyone here running HD58X w/ Fulla 2? I am not going to spend more than 150 euros on source and my Q1 doesn't have enough power for the Jubilees.
Was thinking either FiiO Q1 + JDS Labs O2 or Fulla 2.
I use the 58x paired to the Fulla 2 and it runs fine, but since you already have a DAC, why don't you buy an amp like the Magni?

EDIT
Since "it runs fine" isn't so accurate, I'll add more impressions.
Loudness: depending on the music, I usually set the volume pot between 9 and 11, with everything above 12 being too loud for me.
Sound: the Fulla 2 is a neutral/bright dac/amp, and with the 58x it's both good and bad. It's good because the 58x has more bass and less upper mids than its siblings, and a neutral/bright source helps to "balance" the overall sound sig; it's bad because on some recordings the treble may sound a little hot, esp. if you're sensitive.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,324 of 4,845
Not to involve myself in the cable wars, but I always find this story quite entertaining and enlightening...

https://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger
Well, I'm not the sort of guy that will disagree strongly on these kinds of discussions. But yeah, my own experience has been like that too. Show them fancy cables and they'll tell you they sound better. But blind? I'm quite sure no one can tell the difference.
Is anyone here running HD58X w/ Fulla 2? I am not going to spend more than 150 euros on source and my Q1 doesn't have enough power for the Jubilees.
Was thinking either FiiO Q1 + JDS Labs O2 or Fulla 2.
Are you sure the Q1 doesn't have enough power? I only have the Q1 and that's a bit concerning.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #2,325 of 4,845
Well, I'm not the sort of guy that will disagree strongly on these kinds of discussions. But yeah, my own experience has been like that too. Show them fancy cables and they'll tell you they sound better. But blind? I'm quite sure no one can tell the difference.

Are you sure the Q1 doesn't have enough power? I only have the Q1 and that's a bit concerning.
I can crank the Q1 to 8 at high gain and still listen. That is above what i feel like pushing an amp and i can hear light distortion in the highs above 6.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back