Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 9, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,101 of 4,845
Sep 9, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,102 of 4,845
I've just joined the drop for 58x. I'm pretty excited, this will be my first pair of quality headphones. :L3000:

I'm new to all these techniques, how exactly do I burn-in a hp? Should I just let them play different genres for hours? :smile_phones:

I just plug the headphone into one of my amps, set it to a moderate volume level, play a source (I use a commercial free 24 hour satellite Jazz station) non-stop for 4-6 days. Of course I also do a fair amount of auditioning throughout the burn-in process.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,104 of 4,845
Little confused regarding the set-up ..why would you want to have a mix of Burson discrete opamps and tubes in the same chain :)

I'm a bit confused by you question (and its relevance for this thread) but the short answer is because it sounds good to me.

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,105 of 4,845
The Onkyo seems very interesting but It's hard to find them selling (used I mean) and even reviews, I'll keep checking, I like their designs

Sep 9, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #2,106 of 4,845
I ordered these a couple days ago, excited to get them!

I may have to get a longer (3 m/10 ft) cable though, my setup is not perfect.

Could anyone help me find some?

Just order it from Sennheiser. I just bought one cable lately from them, the price was something like 15$ CAD. The cable is the 10ft genuine Sennheiser HD650 cable. The 10 ft. HD600 genuine cable is also available from Sennheiser at similar price. Both cables will work with the HD58X. The difference is the headphone adapter, 6.3mm for the HD650 cable, 3.5mm for the HD600 cable. Both cables may be used with their respective 3.5/6.3mm conversion adapters. The Hd600 cable can be bought with such adapter that adapts so well (it covers the 3.5mm jack with a 6.3mm jack) that you would swear the cable is strictly 6.3mm ended. The HD650 cable is a little thicker though, not sure it makes a difference in sound at all though.

I also bought a similarly priced cable on Amazon, a 4ft cable for when i’m on the go. It is iOS compatible and has a mini remote integrated on the cable which works for Volume, mute, skip up and down and also has an integrated mic for when I take incoming or outcoming calls with my iPhone. Paid like 16$ USD on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1JHKGM/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_rrxLBbKRV16RH

Works very well with my HD58X in portable situations with iPhone. The remote will work with the little white Apple lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack dongle if you need such device (iPhone 7, 8 and X). The remote and mic will not work when using the Dragonfly Red + Apple USB Camera adapter, although the cable will work.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,107 of 4,845
Sep 9, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #2,108 of 4,845
A quick comparison between the 58X and 660S:

- The 660S has tighter, more controlled, more detailed and more accurate bass while the 58X is more wooly, has more weight, more impact in it's bass and a more sub-bass.
- The 660S has highs are more controlled, less bright and is more inline with both the mid-range and bass -- everything seems more cohesive, while the 58X has highs that go higher and are thinner. The 58X's highs seem to be a bit detached from the mid-range. I believe that the 58X is more prone to sibilance.
- Onto the mid-range .. the 660S is more forward and detailed while the 58X is more recessed and details are pushed back making them less solid.
- The sound-stage seem similar with both headphones.

This is the impressions I got after briefly A/B'ing these headphones. In general I'd say that the 660S is a neutral headphone while the 58X seems more v-shaped. The 660S is less fatiguing, but at the same time the 58X is more alive. I would say that the 58X is a more energetic version of the 650. I haven't heard the HD 600, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 660S is a more energetic version of the HD 600. I'd say that the 660S seems more in control with music -- it grabs it by the leash and doesn't let it get out of control. The 58X on the other hand .. well you can take a guess. Lastly, the 660S in general seems softer and a bit warmer than the 58X.

Which one am I preferring so far? The 660S. The 58X is great for it's price though, but then again I purchased the 660S for $300 so I don't feel too cheated. Then again, I kind of feel like owning both. The 58X REALLY grabs your attention while the 660S calm, cool and collected.

Now I'm done repeating myself over and over...

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #2,109 of 4,845
I just plug the headphone into one of my amps, set it to a moderate volume level, play a source (I use a commercial free 24 hour satellite Jazz station) non-stop for 4-6 days. Of course I also do a fair amount of auditioning throughout the burn-in process.
OK, thanks. I don't have an amp yet, so I'll be plugging it into on-board audio.

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,110 of 4,845
For female contralto vocals (Norah Jones, Adele, Cher, Karen Carpenter), which would be the better headphone:

58x Jubilee

I'm using a Meridian Explorer 2 DAC and Magni 3 amp, streaming Tidal HiFi/Masters.

Thanks!

Does adding the Magni 3 to the Meridian make a big difference vs just running the Meridian as the dac and amp? I am running the Explorer 2 as a dac/amp from my Mac Mini streaming Tidal Hifi/Masters.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #2,111 of 4,845
Thanks DavidA.

From what I've read, it seems the 58x Jubilee is closer to a 660s than the 650. And I'm not willing to pay the premium for marginal benefit from a 660s. Also, I don't foresee getting a higher end amp within the next 6 months; I might in 9-12 months.

This leaves the 58x as the logical choice.

Is that a fair assessment?
I think Spock would agree. LOL

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #2,112 of 4,845
I think Spock would agree. LOL
Probably all in the ears of the beholder :)

To my ears the 660s is closer to a 650/6XX on steroids - same sound signature in many ways, but just more of everything...

The 660s to me seems to be the true successor to the 650 than is the 58X.

While there is clearly some family resemblance between all three cans, the 650 and 660s seem to me to be little and big brother... the 58X is possibly the mailman’s child...?

Sep 10, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #2,113 of 4,845
Probably all in the ears of the beholder :)

To my ears the 660s is closer to a 650/6XX on steroids - same sound signature in many ways, but just more of everything...

The 660s to me seems to be the true successor to the 650 than is the 58X.

While there is clearly some family resemblance between all three cans, the 650 and 660s seem to me to be little and big brother... the 58X is possibly the mailman’s child...?

How would you compare the Elex, Nightowl and HD58x?

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,114 of 4,845
How would you compare the Elex, Nightowl and HD58x?
Thought I'd chime in and give my 2 cents. I've owned and sold the 58X, Elear and Nighthawk. To me the nighthawk is probably my favourite, both in sound and technology. In terms of technology i'm pretty sure Audioquest is the first company to ever employ a speaker-like surround on a headphone driver to give the driver more excursion. It sounds relaxed yet detailed, very easy on the ear. Elear on the other hand is very impactful, a different beast altogether. I've heard Clear pads on an Elear before and thought the bass got tamed quite a bit, which IMO isn't a good thing because that's what made elear ELEAR. Elear driver also has a surround so its certain that both nighthawk/owl and elear/elex are gonna have more effective excusion than the HD58X. The 58X is still a nice headphone, punches well above its price but I really don't think its gonna outresolve the other two, given the technology and price tag.

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #2,115 of 4,845
I despised the nighthawk. plainly too dark and bloated for me. the hd58s is way better. I found the elear fun as well but not sure if I would spend a grand on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back