Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2,071 of 4,845
Yes, I did - and thanks for posting the instructions and photo on that thread! Tried different sizes even (actually I cut two out and used one as an extender to adjust the size). Just could not get back to stock bass. The sound I got was actually not bad - almost like my E-mu teak version of the same cans... but then I already have bright cans and really wanted that one set of cans where I could get really deep bass...

Have you tried Purplehearts? I got them knowing I would be loosing a little bit of low end from pad swap, but the quality is noticeably better than the stock bloated and conjested sound. Gladly take that little bit of loss with custom attenuators being the bass is still a MONSTER, but an extremely well controlled monster unlike stock.

Have you tried Denon AH-D series pads? I have a set (the original ones from my AH-D2000) if you want to try them. Doesn't look like a noticeable difference in size from the TH-X00 but there is a noticeable increase in comfort.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #2,072 of 4,845
Yeah! And definitely not what I thought at first, or at least I thought it was the one on the bubble...turns out it is the 660S that is on the bubble... just goes to show bias at work. 660S is 3x the price of the 58X, so I should like it more... that was my bias, and would not have realized that I was so wrong it if I had not forced upon myself this mini shootout to figure out what to keep. They all sound good... just not nearly equally good, TO MY EARS!
If Massdrop had a bit of an influence on it's tuning, cudos to the team on the influence and the pricing. They have another real winner here and the number of them sold really shows. There are real winners in their X series, and I already have two I stuck with due to the tuning. They really do bring value to this hobby, and appreciate this from their business.

I could be wrong, but Will Bright from Massdrop worked with the manufacturers for the two models I ended up liking. If this is so, I don't how much of the credit goes into him influencing the tunings.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #2,073 of 4,845
Will do this evening - still in the queue, I promise!! :) :)

OK, here you go...

Tracks that I used in the compare (listened to the first 1.5 min - 2.5 min of each track, consistently for the two cans):
  • Symphony No 5 in C Minor (Beethoven)
  • The Magic Flute (Mozart)
  • 1812 Overture in E-Flat Major (Tchaikovsky)
  • Carmina Burana: I. O Fortuna (Radio Orchestra Berlin)
  • Swingin' (Big Smo)
  • Shoot Me Straight (Brothers Osborn)
  • Southern Gothic (Tyminski)
  • Space Cowboy (Kacey Musgraves)
  • Tourniquet (Breaking Benjamin)
  • Down (Breaking Benjamin)
  • Love Me Right (Amber Mark)
  • Fifth of Whisky (Verse & Bishop)

Audio chain: Tidal -> Topping D50 -> CTH

58X - by comparison it is definitely darker, and has a less resolving / detailed sound than the DT 1990. The 58X has greater bass extension and impact. 58X also has better treble in that it is not a piecing as the DT 1990. I would not use the word veiled to describe the 58X, especially compared to the famously veiled 6XX/650 sound. But compared to the DT 1990 the sound is somewhat veiled, or laid back. Vocals sound like they are more recessed than the DT 1990.

DT 1990 - brighter and more resolving than the 58X. It is also sounds "faster" and more dynamic / punchy than the 58X (except the bass). It sounds like the vocals may be more forward on the DT 1990 than the 58X... However, the highs are dancing on the edge of being piercing, but don't quite get there (this is a warning if you are very susceptible to sibilance this can may be a problem) (I did this test without any tissue mod to tame the treble a bit). There is definitely also less bass extension.

Toss up as to which is better. I would normally pick the clearer, punchier, faster, more dynamic headphone, which in this case would be the 1990, but the highs are verging on too much. If pressed I would still pick the DT 1990 sound signature because it is "clearer" and how punchy compared to the 58X, but it is a tough call on balance.

I should say that I have seen some reviews on YouTube where people pick the DT 1990 over the 660S and I would definitely agree with those assessments. But the contest between the 58X and the DT 1990 is much closer..

I will end by saying that I have a feeling that if I only had these two headphones handy for a 3 hour listening session, I would start the first hour on the DT 1990 and finish the last 2 hours on the 58X...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #2,074 of 4,845
Have you tried Purplehearts? I got them knowing I would be loosing a little bit of low end from pad swap, but the quality is noticeably better than the stock bloated and conjested sound. Gladly take that little bit of loss with custom attenuators being the bass is still a MONSTER, but an extremely well controlled monster unlike stock.

Have you tried Denon AH-D series pads? I have a set (the original ones from my AH-D2000) if you want to try them. Doesn't look like a noticeable difference in size from the TH-X00 but there is a noticeable increase in comfort.

Your point about cleaning up the sound is a very good one - I did notice that the Ebony with the tamed bass actually had a cleaner sound signature as the bass wasn't bleeding into the mids - I just want the bass back without the bleed - and comfortable ear pads... is that too much to ask? :)

I haven't tried the Purplehearts, but you are right, now that I know what pad swaps are likely to do, that sounds like the right starting point!!

The pads I have tried on the Ebony are:

• ZMF Ori
  • Mr Speakers Alpha
  • Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin
  • Dekoni Elite Hybrid

I haven't tried the Denon pads, but would certainly be interested if they can get me closer to stock sound than the ones I have tried.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #2,075 of 4,845
OK, here you go...

Tracks that I used in the compare (listened to the first 1.5 min - 2.5 min of each track, consistently for the two cans):
  • Symphony No 5 in C Minor (Beethoven)
  • The Magic Flute (Mozart)
  • 1812 Overture in E-Flat Major (Tchaikovsky)
  • Carmina Burana: I. O Fortuna (Radio Orchestra Berlin)
  • Swingin' (Big Smo)
  • Shoot Me Straight (Brothers Osborn)
  • Southern Gothic (Tyminski)
  • Space Cowboy (Kacey Musgraves)
  • Tourniquet (Breaking Benjamin)
  • Down (Breaking Benjamin)
  • Love Me Right (Amber Mark)
  • Fifth of Whisky (Verse & Bishop)

Audio chain: Tidal -> Topping D50 -> CTH

58X - by comparison it is definitely darker, and has a less resolving / detailed sound than the DT 1990. The 58X has greater bass extension and impact. 58X also has better treble in that it is not a piecing as the DT 1990. I would not use the word veiled to describe the 58X, especially compared to the famously veiled 6XX/650 sound. But compared to the DT 1990 the sound is somewhat veiled, or laid back. Vocals sound like they are more recessed than the DT 1990.

DT 1990 - brighter and more resolving than the 58X. It is also sounds "faster" and more dynamic / punchy than the 58X. It sounds like the vocals may be more forward on the DT 1990 than the 58X... However, the highs are dancing on the edge of being piercing, but don't quite get there (this is a warning if you are very susceptible to sibilance this can may be a problem) (I did this test without any tissue mod to tame the treble a bit). There is definitely also less bass extension.

Toss up as to which is better. I would normally pick the clearer, punchier, faster, more dynamic headphone, which in this case would be the 1990, but the highs are verging on too much. If pressed I would still pick the DT 1990 sound signature because it is "clearer" and how punchy compared to the 58X, but it is a tough call on balance.

I should say that I have seen some reviews on YouTube where people pick the DT 1990 over the 660S and I would definitely agree with those assessments. But the contest between the 58X and the DT 1990 is much closer..

I will end by saying that I have a feeling that if I only had these two headphones handy for a 3 hour listening session, I would start the first hour on the DT 1990 and finish the last 2 hours on the 58X...

That's exacly what I expect to read!

I really like how the DT1990 sounded, but they definitely were in the bright and fatiguing side of the things after a while listening.

Seems like the 58X offers a nice compromise between the sweet and realistic tonal balance of the HD600 and the faster and punchier dynamic sound of the DT1990, I think I gonna be enjoy them very much in that case! :)

Who knows, maybe a crazy cheap endgame!?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #2,076 of 4,845
If Massdrop had a bit of an influence on it's tuning, cudos to the team on the influence and the pricing. They have another real winner here and the number of them sold really shows. There are real winners in their X series, and I already have two I stuck with due to the tuning. They really do bring value to this hobby, and appreciate this from their business.

I could be wrong, but Will Bright from Massdrop worked with the manufacturers for the two models I ended up liking. If this is so, I don't how much of the credit goes into him influencing the tunings.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the other model that you like the tuning of? I myself also like the Elex from Massdrop (and as I have already admitted, the TH-X00 is a secret pleasure)...

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #2,077 of 4,845
That's exacly what I expect to read!

I really like how the DT1990 sounded, but they definitely were in the bright and fatiguing side of the things after a while listening.

Seems like the 58X offers a nice compromise between the sweet and realistic tonal balance of the HD600 and the faster and punchier dynamic sound of the DT1990, I think I gonna be enjoy them very much in that case! :)

Who knows, maybe a crazy cheap endgame!?

Well, all I can say is that I am going to be spending a lot more quality time with my 58X after this!! :) :) :)

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #2,079 of 4,845
If you don't mind me asking, what was the other model that you like the tuning of? I myself also like the Elex from Massdrop (and as I have already admitted, the TH-X00 is a secret pleasure)...
I can understand you liking Elex, but it's not a preferred tuning of mine as it sounds too 6k prominant for my taste (it would be even comparable or greater even than the Utopia). I think you like more treble quantity than I feel comfortable with. At a certain threshold, I can't enjoy the spectrum of sound if the treble sounds too prominent. I think this is due to my ears has become more picky from trying out various headphones/iems, I know what I prefer better.

The other headphone I like is the one I already talked about, TH-X00 Ebony. I think they did a good job getting that one tuned to be more eleviated in the FR from V response of the others in the family. I feel this one is pretty balanced as well, although if I were to perfect it, I would reduce the mids warmth (it can get a bit thick, but that is probably the challenge of cupped headphones). I find it's one of the best dynamic sub-bass due to the cupped design. I think the particular wood chosen provides a natural tonality for certain genre of music. So, maybe there is more to wood that can be explored for better headphone tonality.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #2,080 of 4,845
This is my first post.

I'm new to the Hifi listening world. I picked up both the HD 58x and HD 6xx. I play a lot of music (guitar and bass) and I also have a set of the HD 280 Pros for tracking and blocking sound situations. I have a pair of the 1964 ears V2 from a while ago too.

These 2 sets are my first open back headphones and I really love how the closed back sound works. It's a great experience. I have a pair of the 1964 ears V2 from a while ago too.

Amp: JDS O2
DAC: JDS Ol DAC

I really like the 6xx and the 5xx. I hate the pressure of the clamp on the HD 280 (old stye). But they work well in my office at work. (open floor plan).

My 6xx are burned in more, but with Flacs of various pop, country, and classical they are very neutral sounding. I wanted neutral. I always want neutral no matter the headphones. I really like the 5xx for watching tv or with speaking voices and with music as well. (I can also plug these into my Roku Remote and watch tv when my wife is studying - the 6xx won't get powered enough - not hifi but definitely better than cheap earbuds)

I do a lot of website work on nights and weekends for non-profits, so I have been wearing these upwards of 8 hours at a time with minimal breaks.

The 5xx I almost prefer. It's hard to try to make this subjective - but I definitely don't mind the pads, the pressure of the headphones, or the sounds. These are both of my first open back headphones. I have done long sessions with the 5xx too I just don't have to adjust volume as high with them. They are pretty similar flavors.

Even with Google Play Music - it sounds great - to me anyways. ( know not everyone likes that one since it is 320mp3 based. My Deezer Hifi trial sounded good too. (just not consistent playback).

If anyone has a Closed back recommendation that is similar in quality to the HD 5xx or HD 6xx in sound - please DM me. Preferred Budget $250 but willing to go a bit higher if it really does sound great. I really do like the Sennheiser sound - even with the HD 280 Pro. I don't need a lot of bass.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #2,081 of 4,845
This is my first post.

I'm new to the Hifi listening world. I picked up both the HD 58x and HD 6xx. I play a lot of music (guitar and bass) and I also have a set of the HD 280 Pros for tracking and blocking sound situations. These 2 sets are my first open back headphones and I really love how the closed back sound works. It's a great experience.

I really like the 6xx and the 5xx. I hate the pressure of the clamp on the HD 280 (old stye). But they work well in my office at work. (open floor plan).

My 6xx are burned in more, but with Flacs of various pop, country, and classical they are very neutral sounding. I wanted neutral. I always want neutral no matter the headphones. I really like the 5xx for watching tv or with speaking voices and with music as well. (I can also plug these into my Roku Remote and watch tv when my wife is studying - the 6xx won't get powered enough - not hifi but definitely better than cheap earbuds)

I do a lot of website work on nights and weekends for non-profits, so I have been wearing these upwards of 8 hours at a time with minimal breaks.

The 5xx I almost prefer. It's hard to try to make this subjective - but I definitely don't mind the pads, the pressure of the headphones, or the sounds. These are both of my first open back headphones. I have done long sessions with the 5xx too I just don't have to adjust volume as high with them. They are pretty similar flavors.

Even with Google Play Music - it sounds great - to me anyways. ( know not everyone likes that one since it is 320mp3 based. My Deezer Hifi trial sounded good too. (just not consistent playback).

If anyone has a Closed back recommendation that is similar in quality to the HD 5xx or HD 6xx in sound - please DM me. Preferred Budget $250 but willing to go a bit higher if it really does sound great. I really do like the Sennheiser sound - even with the HD 280 Pro. I don't need a lot of bass.

There is no such thing as a HD6** closed back equivalent at this time. I must say that I enjoy the following closed back Sennheiser headphones: Momentum I over ears, HD25-1 II, Amperior, Momentum Wireless over ears, but none is sounding as a HD6** headphone. I haven’t heard the HD630 or whatever it is called, but it has nothing to do with the design of the HD6** series. I know that customers are more into Bluetooth and noise cancelling stuff these days, but it would be great for Sennheiser to design a genuine HD6** series closed back headphone, similar to what they designed with the closed back HD820 headphone derived from the open backed HD800S headphone. Thy have done it also with the HD598 which has a closed back version. I guess it wouldn’t be as transparent as a true open back headphone, but it would be worth the try...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #2,082 of 4,845
PeteMti - I know - I don't need a Sennheiser brand equivalent. It can be anybody. I just want something neutral with a replacement cable that sounds similar.

I've heard not the best things about the HD 598 CS - (not personally just hearsay). I've considered those, but I wish I could try them through an actual amp before purchasing.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #2,083 of 4,845
This is my first post.

I'm new to the Hifi listening world. I picked up both the HD 58x and HD 6xx. I play a lot of music (guitar and bass) and I also have a set of the HD 280 Pros for tracking and blocking sound situations. I have a pair of the 1964 ears V2 from a while ago too.

These 2 sets are my first open back headphones and I really love how the closed back sound works. It's a great experience. I have a pair of the 1964 ears V2 from a while ago too.

Closest you will get in a closed headphone is the DT-150, it would be my choice if I wanted a closed HD650. It is a bit of an ugly duckling but it sounds like a swan

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #2,084 of 4,845
ops double post

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #2,085 of 4,845
I'm really digging these songs atm. If you're into blues/funk.

These two tracks sound absolutely fantastic on HD 58X. The sub bass and the clarity do quite magical things.

Unfortunately the Spotify can't match the CD quality (especial the free version) but still.

Thanks for the songs, will add them to the HD58X playlist also thanks @Mhog55 you Quote didn't show but I got your suggestions

By the way, great collection of tracks for comparisons - lots of variety in the sounds in the tracks.

From Tidal, through Topping D50 into a CTH amp

"Jesus, etc"

The song seems to me to not have a very wide dynamic range... Hence the three headphones sounded somewhat similar. The 6XX was more "muted" / laid back than the 58X or 660S but the difference was not that great. The 58X was a bit brighter / clearer than the 660S, but the 660S felt more relaxing (how is that for a terrible term to describe audio!!) or "musical" without being as laid back / lackluster as the 6XX.

Not enough difference to declare a clear winner, but maybe the 58X takes it by a nose...

"With a little help from my friends remix"

Sounded great on both the 58X and 660S. 58X is brighter than the 660S, making it sound more detailed, a sound signature that just appeals to me. Both did nicely with the highs in the male vocals. Not a lot of bass in this track to compare any difference in the impact and extension.

Also sounded good out of the 6XX, but there is just... less... overall sound (yes, I tried volume matching, of course :) ) The vocals sounded nice, but what little bass is there in the track just was not as present, and the highs from the ocals did not get as high as on the 660S and especially the 58X.

I liked the 58X much better on this track.

"Encontros e Despedidas"

The 6XX has a very relaxing sound... very musical... almost put me to sleep it was so relaxing.

58X - much more exciting sound even though the overall track is very relaxed. Wait are those cymbals I here in the background? I did not hear that on the 6XX (well, I did, but definitely not prominently). These cans definitely revealed much more in the track than the 6XX. But I would not try to take a nap listening to this track with the 58X :)

660S was more similar to the 6XX. More laid back. There was "more" sound (like the 58X I could hear more of the instruments), but it was more laid back. For example, I now there are cymbals in teh background, but they are nowhere as prominent as on the 58X. Also the female vocal was much less bright than on the 58X

I liked the 58X on this track much better.

"Time Check"

OK, now we are moving!! Let's see how these babies do with a super fast and highly dynamic track!!

660S kept right up with the music! The horns sound great, clearly singing out. Drums had impact. Really engaging sound. This will be tough to beat!

But then I switched to the 58X, and... more of everything! More prominent horns. You can feel the drums, hear the cymbals (which were a bit lost on the 660S when they weren't the prominent instrument). Both the 660S and the 58X had no trouble keeping up in my opinion with the pace of the music.

And the 6XX was there with the sound I think you expected me to describe. The instruments were all there, but the highs not as high, the drums there but lacking some of the impact. Again, laid back.

On both the 660S and the 58X I fell that every instrument and note has separation, while on the 6XX some sounds seemed to just melt together (hence I think the term musical)

Both 660S and 58X were good, but I give the no to the 58X for the clearer presentation.

"The Tourist"

I am going to come across as a broken record, but many of the same comments from above apply...

The 6XX had a very relaxed sound, certainly reflecting the relaxed signature and intent of the track. Not much to test in terms of dynamic range or speed. A nice relaxed sound.

58X a bit brighter, with the highs of the vocals shining through a bit more than the 6XX. There just isn't that much in this track that challenges the 58X to shine, so it is really close to the other two.

660S in terms of warmth/brightness in between the 58X and 6XX as in the other tracks.

In this particular track, I think I like warmth more than brightness the 58X does not do as well, and with its more full sound and extended bass and treble than the 6XX I prefer the 660S on this track.

In summary, I liked the 58X clearly on 3 of 5, the 660S on 1 of 5, and a pretty close tie on 1 of 5.

But, again, that is just me, and that is just me at this instant. YMMV!!

Thanks, I tried to keep some variety in the songs, so looks like it was a good decision to get the HD58X. I heard people saying the HD58X bass can make it feel more muffled than the HD660, do you feel that? Also from what you said the DT1990 should be more dynamic and energetic than the HD58X but more piercing highs, worth an upgrade, the Sundara got more treble and less bass, I'm not sure what would be an advantage of the Sundara over the DT1990 (Soundstage?) or even the Sundara vs the HD58X. If I ever upgrade the HD58X it should be something used for a great price (not more than $300 really) that when new was from the $400/500 tier, is there any other Headphone you also suggest?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back