Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #2,131 of 4,845
Interesting. Z-Reviews is saying the 58X sounds warmer and less brighter than the 660S, but I agree that they are nearly identical. They probably just modified the 58X slightly, but It's pretty much the same headphone. That foam probably does have some effect if you take it off.

I agree with him that that they hit harder than the 660S. I know the dynamics is better on the 58X. I wish I had the 660S to compare.

Ah, Z is entertaining, I'll give him that. I would never trust his opinions though, dude is all over the place and then some.

The 58X's are certainly great headphones for the price, but compared the the 660s they fall behind in pretty much every category for me.

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #2,132 of 4,845
Ah, Z is entertaining, I'll give him that. I would never trust his opinions though, dude is all over the place and then some.

The 58X's are certainly great headphones for the price, but compared the the 660s they fall behind in pretty much every category for me.
Agree that the HD58X falls behind the HD660S technically but for some the difference in price is a deal breaker for the "improvements" and I've had a few friends who picked the HD58X over the HD660S regardless of price so its a personal preference for some on which they will prefer.

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #2,133 of 4,845
Agree that the HD58X falls behind the HD660S technically but for some the difference in price is a deal breaker for the "improvements" and I've had a few friends who picked the HD58X over the HD660S regardless of price so its a personal preference for some on which they will prefer.

The tuning on the 58X is certainly more "mainstream". For a lot of people it's going to be all they'd ever want out of a headphone and that's fine.

I also think the 660 is somewhat overpriced. $350-400 would be a more reasonable cost for what you're actually getting.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #2,134 of 4,845
Just in case people might be on the fence, the current drop ends in 15 hours from when I'm posting this.
I'm in the UK so not sure how Massdrop works. How likely is it that these will drop again?

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #2,135 of 4,845
The tuning on the 58X is certainly more "mainstream". For a lot of people it's going to be all they'd ever want out of a headphone and that's fine.

I also think the 660 is somewhat overpriced. $350-400 would be a more reasonable cost for what you're actually getting.
"Mainstream" is a great description :ksc75smile:. And agree with the HD660S being over priced but even $350 is a bit over priced due to the HD58X being $150 and HD6XX at $200

Sep 14, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #2,136 of 4,845

$350 is still over priced comparatively to the 58X (I very much agree with Z-Reviews regarding this). I didn't find it to be an improvement. With my setup (Gumby > BHA-1 balanced) 58X sounds really good. Speed and cleanliness of both 58X and 660S is certainly has an advantage over HD650.

I found the dynamics lacking on the 660S which certain isn't on 58X.

I'm very impressed with 58X, and been listening to it a lot lately. You got to hear my setup.

Just because 58X has half the ohmage of 650 and it's not a good impedance match doesn't have anything to do with scalability. It's probably just OTL vs not, and sound preference. Calling it scalability is just assumptive of a particular thing out of many possibilities.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #2,137 of 4,845
I'm in the UK so not sure how Massdrop works. How likely is it that these will drop again?
If they hold true to their previous patterns (e.g. the number of 6XX drops), 99.999% probability.

Also watch the for sale forums. For some these cans will be nirvana, and for others they will be nails on a blackboard (such is the inconsistent nature of our hearing and thus hobby).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,138 of 4,845
I picked up a pair this morning haven't taken the foam out yet but they do sound very good, just breaking them in now. I sold my hd600 months ago so cant really compare anymore. I will use these at work and my HEX V2 at home will drive them both off my lg v30.
initial impression is very good !!

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #2,139 of 4,845
I generally agree with all of your opinion. Although the HD58X has a firmer punchier sub bass that grows on me for EDM music for instance. I was somewhat negative about the HD58X when I first use it. After acouple of months of usage, I find myself using the HD58X a bit more than the HD6XX, but that has to do with portable usage with my iPhone X and the lightning dongle which produces enough output voltage and power for the HD58X needs. I even use them with a new cable I bought on Amazon which includes a remote and mic. But for living room usage with my headphone DAC/amp or even for portable usage when I carry my Dragonfly Red and the Apple camera adaptor, the HD6XX is still the better, more natural, sexier/more romantic headphones. Other people may say whatever they want against the HD6XX/650 (too warm, too much mid bass, veiled, not enough treble energy, too loose bass, lacking impact and firmness and so on), but I am of the opinion that I haven’t found yet a better headphone overall for its true listening experience and in particular I truly believe that its mids are still reference standard, yet to be beaten at any pricing point.

Let me put it this way:

My HD58X (150$) + Apple lightning headphone adaptor (9$) + Newfantasia remote/mic/cable (20$) = 179$ is a great portable combo, unbeaten at this price, and fully compatible « as is » with my iPhone X or iPad Pro.

My HD6XX (200$) + Apple usb lightning camera adaptor (29$) + Dragonfly Red DAC/amp (200$) or Massdrop O2/SDAC DAC/amp (150$) are probably the greatest combos for true listening experience (379$ to 429$ depending on the DAC/amp) under 500$, but still over 2x more expensive than the previous HD58X combo. And if you take the road of higher end SS or tube amps, the sky is the limit to your enjoyment...

So both solutions are truly worth considering, depending on needs and budget...
My biggest "issue" with the HD 58X is how it handles the voices and vocals (it's actually something that even HD 595 does better). It also has some problems with certain cymbals (and that range in general) which is probably the main reason why it sounds more artificial and cold which actually makes HD 6XX the preferred on in EDM too. HD 6XX is definitely closer to real life and more natural to my ears. These two do sound surprisingly different - the looks are quite deceiving. I've too heard that HD 6XX has loose bass and so on but I was surprised how tight it did sound (it doesn't sound sloppy to me at all). There isn't ridiculously large difference between it and HD 58X.

All things are relative though and for the price they offer absolutely ridiculous value. These will be great for on the go (cottage, travel...). I think that's the main point of HD 58X because it does offer a good sound and it's not picky (though, HD 6XX does not sound horrible straight from the phone but yeah). It's a great headphone, especially for the price. I don't think there's anything better at that price point. My HD 595 is too brittle at this point and the Superlux HD668B is like a torture device (physically and sonically). I'm so glad that I can now use HD 58X instead of that Superlux.

That but the HD 58X and HD 6XX are priced almost too low in comparison (not that I complain).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,140 of 4,845
My biggest "issue" with the HD 58X is how it handles the voices and vocals (it's actually something that even HD 595 does better). It also has some problems with certain cymbals (and that range in general) which is probably the main reason why it sounds more artificial and cold which actually makes HD 6XX the preferred on in EDM too. HD 6XX is definitely closer to real life and more natural to my ears. These two do sound surprisingly different - the looks are quite deceiving. I've too heard that HD 6XX has loose bass and so on but I was surprised how tight it did sound (it doesn't sound sloppy to me at all). There isn't ridiculously large difference between it and HD 58X.

All things are relative though and for the price they offer absolutely ridiculous value. These will be great for on the go (cottage, travel...). I think that's the main point of HD 58X because it does offer a good sound and it's not picky (though, HD 6XX does not sound horrible straight from the phone but yeah). It's a great headphone, especially for the price. I don't think there's anything better at that price point. My HD 595 is too brittle at this point and the Superlux HD668B is like a torture device (physically and sonically). I'm so glad that I can now use HD 58X instead of that Superlux.

That but the HD 58X and HD 6XX are priced almost too low in comparison (not that I complain).
Really?! You're saying 6XX cymbals sound more true to real life? That headphone is commonly known to have treble roll-off or veiled. That's really not transparent to accurate recordings( as recordings differs as some have badly recorded cymbals or peaks, you really have to be familiar with different recordings to know). It works out for jazz or slow type stuff doesn't require much speed or rich vocals, but I wouldn't call the response as clean or quick. I've had the 650 in the past, and it's rolled off.

That headphone has weaknesses as well comparatively. You may prefer mids heavy, but doesn't mean better. I found vocals clean and clear with 58X and it's really recording dependent on how forward it is.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,143 of 4,845
If they hold true to their previous patterns (e.g. the number of 6XX drops), 99.999% probability.

Also watch the for sale forums. For some these cans will be nirvana, and for others they will be nails on a blackboard (such is the inconsistent nature of our hearing and thus hobby).

Thank you. I bought!

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,145 of 4,845
Really?! You're saying 6XX cymbals sound more true to real life? That headphone is commonly known to have treble roll-off or veiled. That's really not transparent to accurate recordings( as recordings differs as some have badly recorded cymbals or peaks, you really have to be familiar with different recordings to know). It works out for jazz or slow type stuff doesn't require much speed or rich vocals, but I wouldn't call the response as clean or quick. I've had the 650 in the past, and it's rolled off.

That headphone has weaknesses as well comparatively. You may prefer mids heavy, but doesn't mean better. I found vocals clean and clear with 58X and it's really recording dependent on how forward it is.
There's few things that I've realised lately and that I'm quite sensitive to treble is one thing. It does vary a bit from track to track depending on mastering and all but HD 6XX's approach works best to me. It helps with the detail when the treble is not as prominent. HD 58X response is quick but I wouldn't say that it's particularly clean. It just sound more artificial to me.

If you like that kind of sound, great but I prefer other way around because to my ear it's closer to natural. You may prefer more V shaped approach but it doesn't mean it's better :p But honestly, personal preferences vary... Also everyone has different ears.

It's not just the tuning either. HD 6XX handles imaging, depth, separation, soundstage and the sense of space better. Also more detail and smoother texture. I think HD 6XX has pretty clear advantage there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back