Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 14, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #2,147 of 4,845
I love how in this hobby people have to constantly remind each other that things are their own preference, and that people have different tastes in sound signatures. It's like a never-ending cycle.

Sad.
Maybe I misunderstand, so, sorry in advance!

I don’t know... you have a lot of new people who come into the hobby and, believe it or not, they actually believe the strongly held opinions they read on forums like these without knowing that audio is more art than science at the individual level. A reminder helps them (when starting out it would have saved me a boatload of money if I had researched more and listened to opinion less, at least in my case). Even when it is experienced people talking to each other it is a polite way of saying, hey, it is ok that we disagree before ugly disagreement breaks out :). I watched Z’s review video of these headphones and I thought to myself, wow, are we talking about the same headphones? 58X and the 660s sound the same, really? But I am sure they do to him, and others. Just not to me, and others, and it is the polite thing to do to acknowledge it :)

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #2,148 of 4,845
New owner of the 58x as of yesterday and have been putting it through its paces. Longtime 580 owner/fan and I've come to realize that I favor neutral, balanced signatures with lots of midrange detail. I would definitely not put the 58x into this category but I am glad to have picked it up and am finding just as enjoyable as I expected. Not entirely to my preference but it does have excellent sub-bass and the ability to dig quite low. It took a couple hours for my ears to adapt as what was at first a bit bloated and overdrawn became nicely textured in the lower ranges. So far it doesn't seem to excel at any one genre but it is very good at a little bit of everything - this is exactly what I was looking for as these will be used almost entirely at work. It goes without saying but they also sound phenomenal out of my iphone which simplifies my setup even more. $150 for this quality of sound really is amazing value.

I'm still quite keen to try out the 6xx (or preferably 650 if I can find a pair for a good price) and I believe they may be popping back up again in the next couple days if what I heard was correct. I'm hopeful to avoid the headphone carousel that I ran through when I first found Head-Fi back in the mid 2000s as I've really found mostly everything I need in the mid-fi region of Sennheisers lineup (plus a planar or two to round it out.). That only leaves Stax as the final mountain to explore. :)

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,149 of 4,845
There's few things that I've realised lately and that I'm quite sensitive to treble is one thing. It does vary a bit from track to track depending on mastering and all but HD 6XX's approach works best to me. It helps with the detail when the treble is not as prominent. HD 58X response is quick but I wouldn't say that it's particularly clean. It just sound more artificial to me.

If you like that kind of sound, great but I prefer other way around because to my ear it's closer to natural. You may prefer more V shaped approach but it doesn't mean it's better :p But honestly, personal preferences vary... Also everyone has different ears.

It's not just the tuning either. HD 6XX handles imaging, depth, separation, soundstage and the sense of space better. Also more detail and smoother texture. I think HD 6XX has pretty clear advantage there.
You're quite sensitive to treble? I thought I was (I have my reasons for this and I have pointed that out for HD800(S), HE560, HD700, and I even find Utopia somewhat elevated, but not as much as HD800(S)). Like I said earlier, you probably haven't heard treble heavy headphones.

Well, if you think 58X is V-shaped, 650 is n-shaped. Different perspectives. Rolls off on both ends.

I had the HD650 in the past and it was the better choice out of DT880, K701 in the mix at the time as I would rather take veiled than elevated treble.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,150 of 4,845
I bought based on z's review, I had previously bought the isine 10 and the HEX V2 based on his recommendation as well. if he says something is really good it usually is

Yep. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've had good luck with items he recommends that I've bought. I bought the Takstar Pro 82 based upon his video, and to date it's by far and away the greatest bang for the buck headphones I've found... to the extent that I bought 3 more so that I could have 1 at home, 1 in the office, keep 1 in my car, and have 1 for backup. Stupidly cheap.

I jumped on the Verum 1 based on his recommendation, but then thought better of it and jumped off, as buying from an unknown individual (not company) in the Ukraine was just too iffy for me, given that there would be no credit card protection by the time the true situation is known (no offense to Verum's creator, but too risky for me).

And now these... not because I need another set of headphones, but more that I'm curious to hear how these are as a bang-for-the-buck solution compared to the Takstar (granted, one is open and the other closed, so it's not apples to apples).

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #2,151 of 4,845
All this talk of the HD58X having a V or U shaped frequency response is downright silly.

My Adam A7X have a V type sound relative to the HD58X, and those are considered a neutral studio monitor.

You can say it is V shaped relative to another headphone, but saying it is V shaped outright exposes ones ignorance.

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,152 of 4,845
All this talk of the HD58X having a V or U shaped frequency response is downright silly.

My Adam A7X have a V type sound relative to the HD58X, and those are considered a neutral studio monitor.

You can say it is V shaped relative to another headphone, but saying it is V shaped outright exposes ones ignorance.
Relative to the 6XX/650 and 660S I would definitely say more U shaped. Relative to DT 1990 or Focal Elex, that U is more of a small saucer shape. I think it depends on the reference point... Anyway, just my opinion. I do have all of these and have done the comparisons, but everyone hears differently...

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,153 of 4,845
Relative to the 6XX/650 and 660S I would definitely say more U shaped. Relative to DT 1990 or Focal Elex, that U is more of a small saucer shape. I think it depends on the reference point... Anyway, just my opinion. I do have all of these and have done the comparisons, but everyone hears differently...
Interesting. One says we all hear things differently, the other calls it ignorance. Hmm

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #2,154 of 4,845

That's the key difference...relative, not absolute.

I have with me two pairs of highly regarded, neutral, studio monitors. The Neumann KH120 ( made by Sennheiser in the same factory in Ireland that makes all the HD6 series headphones), and Adam A7X.

I can comfortably claim that the HD58X straddles the middle ground of those two different sounding neutral studio monitors.

This talk if V or U shaped sounding HD58X detracts from the facts.

That fact is, the HD58X is a superbly balanced neutral sounding headphone.

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #2,155 of 4,845
That's the key difference...relative, not absolute.

I have with me two pairs of highly regarded, neutral, studio monitors. The Neumann KH120 ( made by Sennheiser in the same factory in Ireland that makes all the HD6 series headphones), and Adam A7X.

I can comfortably claim that the HD58X straddles the middle ground of those two different sounding neutral studio monitors.

This talk if V or U shaped sounding HD58X detracts from the facts.

That fact is, the HD58X is a superbly balanced neutral sounding headphone.

You're pretty full of yourself.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that it's a fact because I said so.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #2,156 of 4,845
Fact is, the entire HD6 series line is a superbly, naturally sounding line of headphones.

P.S. no offence, seeing how easily offended some are.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #2,157 of 4,845

It's a pretty extreme example. It makes sense that his ears are sensitive to treble. That means the 6XX balance the ears out, who knows.

What this U or V shape discussion has me thinking was the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness countour curves. At low volumes, you need more of a elevated bass and treble response and that alleviates as you raise the volume.

A lot of these imaging discussion can be caused by confusion with recording's characteristics.

Of all the other headphones I can point out what significance in sound I've heard. LCD2C, upper-mids dip, lifeless cymbal energy. Sundara, male vocal mids dipped. HE560, 7k prominent bright. HD800(S), 6k beyond sustained high treble relative to lacking bass. Elex, as bright or brighter than Utopia even due to comparatively lowered upper-mids and lower being at a lower level.

Just like the 660S, 58X doesn't get to such extremes. 58X comparatively has more elevated bass, and sounds more dynamic. 660S hasn't had much dynamics was the caveat. Quite balanced, and not dark like HD650. Close to neutral, but these two mids male vocals may sound slightly lower than neutral, or distanced, but nothing significant. I support the 58X due to performance to price is at the top (and I'm sure Z-reviews is just trying to point out that the value in 58X comparatively to 660S).

58X is so tight, clear, and quick in response. Perhaps it's my solid-state amp with such quick drivers, dunno. Very airy, and I'm havin a blast listening to it. I've not been so motivated to explore music. Tidal helps out as well. 58X got me deep in music that's it's probably not healthy. LOL.

I would say characteristically similar in balance would be the Focal Clear.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #2,158 of 4,845
It's a pretty extreme example. It makes sense that his ears are sensitive to treble. That means the 6XX balance the ears out, who knows.

What this U or V shape discussion has me thinking was the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness countour curves. At low volumes, you need more of a elevated bass and treble response and that alleviates as you raise the volume.

A lot of these imaging discussion can be caused by confusion with recording's characteristics.

Of all the other headphones I can point out what significance in sound I've heard. LCD2C, upper-mids dip, lifeless cymbal energy. Sundara, male vocal mids dipped. HE560, 7k prominent bright. HD800(S), 6k beyond sustained high treble relative to lacking bass. Elex, as bright or brighter than Utopia even due to comparatively lowered upper-mids and lower being at a lower level.

Just like the 660S, 58X doesn't get to such extremes. 58X comparatively has more elevated bass, and sounds more dynamic. 660S hasn't had much dynamics was the caveat. Quite balanced, and not dark like HD650. Close to neutral, but these two mids male vocals may sound slightly lower than neutral, or distanced, but nothing significant.

58X is so tight, clear, and quick in response. Perhaps it's my solid-state amp with such quick drivers, dunno. Very airy, and I'm havin a blast listening to it. I've not been so motivated to explore music. Tidal helps out as well. 58X got me deep in music that's it's probably not healthy. LOL.

I would say characteristically similar in balance would be the Focal Clear.

Very insightful observations SilverEars...perhaps its time to upgrade your status to PlatinumEars!

I have never heard the Focal line...at first I wouldn't believe that the Focals could be better than the HD800S on a technical level, but with the HD58X expanding my mindset into what can be achieved with the evolution of dynamic driver technology, I am very curious.

Indeed, I agree with all your observations with the headphones I have at hand.

There is one thing that the HD58X does for me that no other headphone has ever accomplished in the years of headphone experience I have.

I have always considered myself a sprint session listener...crank it up for 15 minutes, dial down gradually and end the session in about an hour. All active listening.

The HD58X is different, I don't crank it up, I put the volume at a comfortable level, and that volume stays the same....for hours on end of enjoyable active listening. It's the only headphone to do this to me. I have 'wasted' so many hours in this headphone when I was supposed to be doing something else more productive.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,159 of 4,845
Very insightful observations SilverEars...perhaps its time to upgrade your status to PlatinumEars!

I have never heard the Focal line...at first I wouldn't believe that the Focals could be better than the HD800S on a technical level, but with the HD58X expanding my mindset into what can be achieved with the evolution of dynamic driver technology, I am very curious.

Indeed, I agree with all your observations with the headphones I have at hand.

There is one thing that the HD58X does for me that no other headphone has ever accomplished in the years if headphone experience I have.

I have always considered myself a sprint session listener...crank it up for 15 minutes, dial down gradually and end the session in about an hour. All active listening.

The HD58X is different, I don't crank it up, I put the volume at a comfortable level, and that volume stays the same....for hours on end of enjoyable active listening. It's the only headphone to do this to me.
I find that some headphones have a range that the volume doesn't change much, or the dynamic doesn't feel like it. This was my experience with 660S, and this is why I say it was lacking dynamics. My amp is quite strong, and all this discussion about 660S being easy to drive is probably over-blown due to impedance value being half of 650/6XX/600. With that said, I noticed that the 660S didn't change much with volume in terms of punchlines or dynamics, and volume increase didn't feel like typical volume increase. I think 6-- series headphones has this characteristic to some degree.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #2,160 of 4,845
I find that some headphones have a range that the volume doesn't change much, or the dynamic doesn't feel like it. This was my experience with 660S, and this is why I say it was lacking dynamics. My amp is quite strong, and all this discussion about 660S being easy to drive is probably over-blown due to impedance value being half of 650/6XX/600. With that said, I noticed that the 660S didn't change much with volume in terms of punchlines or dynamics, and volume increase didn't feel like typical volume increase. I think 6-- series headphones has this characteristic to some degree.

I too am not understanding this HD58X does not scale as well as other headphones. It scales like every other hi-performance headphone... I can hear the intricate and delicate difference between every DAC and amp.

At the moment the most transparent combination I have and use most commonly is the octacore multibit PCM1704UK Reference 7 balanced into solid state AGD Phoenix.

The R2R multibit dac helps to bring that male vocal chords of the HD58X back to be closer to the HD650. But alas, the HD650 is just simply more resolve of the male voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back