Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,396 of 4,845
I don't have the 400i, but if I were to make a wild guess, I would put the 58X as being much better. This is just a guess though. :)

Dude, what a useless post.

Just like this one.

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,397 of 4,845
1461785E-8A5A-4822-BB66-A8C90914765C.jpeg
136E940E-5621-4781-BB7F-D6DC4328AAFC.jpeg
136E940E-5621-4781-BB7F-D6DC4328AAFC.jpeg
Very happy/stefanaudioart cable plus mojo/Let the music play

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,398 of 4,845
wow stefanart mod already? Those wires cost more than the cans hehehe but nevermind because the total cost including the cables still makes them much better than anything in their pricerange.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,399 of 4,845
The setup I had at work yesterday and today:

i-g873vCr-X4.jpg

The Shanling M0, TASCAM MH-8, and Sennheuser HD58X actually have pretty good synergy....better than with the DFR, sounstage actually comes across larger/more spacious and sound has more energy and dynamics to it. The MH-8 is not the best sounding amp, but it's decent enough and excellent for head to head comparisons. Coworker had his HD6XX and we compared them back and forth with different tracks... the two are REALLY close to each other in their sound, really minor differences. HD58X definitely bassier and punchier, more forward sounding. The HD6XX is definitely smoother and slightly less fatiguing with better detail/finesse, mids a little further back, slightly larger sound stage. Straight out of the M0, the HD58X needs about a 30/100 volume level, while the HD6XX needs around 50/100 volume level.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #1,400 of 4,845
Thanks everyone for reply! Sound like most people like 58x more.

Yes but this is the 58X thread I wonder if more people will preffer the Hifiman on their specific thread or give more insights on both cans.

edit: I was going to get the 400i as an upgrade from my SHP9500 but the 58X makes me want to step back again and think what my next can should be

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #1,402 of 4,845
Yes but this is the 58X thread I wonder if more people will preffer the Hifiman on their specific thread or give more insights on both cans.

edit: I was going to get the 400i as an upgrade from my SHP9500 but the 58X makes me want to step back again and think what my next can should be

That's fair. Actually I found he400i is very hard to drive, much harder than hd600. So it should be much hard to drive than 58x

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #1,403 of 4,845
The HD58X is quite an upgrade over the SHP9500... The SHP9500 is thin and flatter sounding, not as clear or detailed, and missing a decent amount of low end punch in comparison.

I can only imagine, I have a dream to listen to Jesus etc by Wilco on any Senn.

I'm not sure if I understand what is the sub-bass. I really like the bass you can almost feel.
I would be glad if someone owning the HD58X could listen to the songs in the parts I described and confirm to me if this is what the HD58X can represent well.

Some examples of this impact I love in songs:
- The delicious drum in Southern Skies by Yuck starting at 0:18
- Andromedra (DRAM Special) By Gorillaz at 0:40 when the impact changes fast from one ear to the other.
- The nice bass mixed with bass instruments in Ruler Rebel - X. aTunde Adjuah Remix
- The impacts just at the start of Radioactivity by Kraftwerk or that play during the song.
- The impacts in Night School by Frank Zappa
- Bass at beginning of John Coltrane's My Favorite Things

If these are the kind of sounds the HD58X brings up with the extension and does really well then I think I need these headphones...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #1,404 of 4,845
Can't speak about Jesus, etc.

I was listening to Wilco Schmilco earlier, though, utilizing the HD58X Jubilee's and can honestly say that the album has never sounded so good (I finally got my dac/amp hooked up to run with the headphones as well).

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,405 of 4,845
I can only imagine, I have a dream to listen to Jesus etc by Wilco on any Senn.

I'm not sure if I understand what is the sub-bass. I really like the bass you can almost feel.
I would be glad if someone owning the HD58X could listen to the songs in the parts I described and confirm to me if this is what the HD58X can represent well.

Some examples of this impact I love in songs:
- The delicious drum in Southern Skies by Yuck starting at 0:18
- Andromedra (DRAM Special) By Gorillaz at 0:40 when the impact changes fast from one ear to the other.
- The nice bass mixed with bass instruments in Ruler Rebel - X. aTunde Adjuah Remix
- The impacts just at the start of Radioactivity by Kraftwerk or that play during the song.
- The impacts in Night School by Frank Zappa
- Bass at beginning of John Coltrane's My Favorite Things

If these are the kind of sounds the HD58X brings up with the extension and does really well then I think I need these headphones...

The HD58X walks all over a stock SHP9500 in the bass department with those songs, with both directly from the headphone out of my TAB S2. The HD58X low end will just get better with a good DAC and proper amp. It is very close to that of that of my modded TH-X00PH directly out of my tablet. DAC and amped is a different story, the true massive low end of the TH-X00PH comes out and separates itself much more from the HD58X.

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #1,406 of 4,845
The HD58X walks all over a stock SHP9500 in the bass department with those songs, with both directly from the headphone out of my TAB S2. The HD58X low end will just get better with a good DAC and proper amp. It is very close to that of that of my modded TH-X00PH directly out of my tablet. DAC and amped is a different story, the true massive low end of the TH-X00PH comes out and separates itself much more from the HD58X.

Thanks for testing. I don't need massive bass like the TH-X00 can offer but some bass upgrade from my SHP would be nice, I also heard the HD58X is very crispy, lively and dynamic compared to other senns which is something I love in my SHP and want in a headphone. I think in the end it's a match between 400i and 58X and the 58X wins for QC. So I think the HD58X is my headphone to go. Now, I just need to find a way to send them to Brazil since massdrop don't ship them here. I will look for a forwarder. Such a shame I lost the first drop at only $150 I think I will search for used pairs from people who didn't liked them (somehow)

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,407 of 4,845
That's pretty crazy, since the 650's and 600's are so damn alike. Why didn't you hate the 650's as well?

Actually, I can understand this, as I’ve had a similar experience myself regarding the HD600/HD650. Personally I don’t hate the HD600 at all, I like it a lot, but I do like the HD650 (HD6XX) much more.

I’ve had the HD600 for about two years and listened to it almost every day. Before I got it I did my research thoroughly, especially between the HD600/HD650 (by reading impressions and reviews mostly as I couldn’t find anywhere to actually try/compare them), and came to the conclusion that the HD600 would be the best for me. That notorious “veil” of the HD650 that many talk about was a concern. Price was a factor as well.
Anyway, I got the HD600 and was very happy with it and enjoyed it. Couldn’t help wondering about the HD650 though. Then the HD6XX came along and I saw the opportunity to get it and try it out for cheap (a bit cheaper anyway, 25-30% less than the HD650 where I live, including customs fees and taxes). I got into the HD6XX drop and when it arrived I tried it not really knowing what to expect.
They do sound very similar for sure, but there are differences as well. To my ears, the HD6XX sounds better, I’m not bothered by any “veil”, and I do most of my listening with it now.

Now I also have the 58X (curiosity and the price got me, couldn’t resist) and I think it’s really good as well, especially for the price. Will it replace the HD6XX for me? I don’t think so, but I have a lot more listening left to do with it.

Jul 21, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #1,409 of 4,845
A balanced cable does nothing for the headphones but the balanced output may or may not alter the sound from the source compared to the single ended output. A balanced output is also more powerful than a single ended one and it's easy to perceive this as better sounding when it's actually only louder. Not saying that there's no difference but volume matching is important for a fair comparison. Just my 2c :wink:

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #1,410 of 4,845
I'd say that the biggest improvement usually when going balanced is less crosstalk, thus better better soundstage and imaging. Some non-balanced outputs may still beat poorly designed balanced designs though. Also if you feed unbalanced to balanced amp, then it's only as good as the original unbalanced signal at best (in reality, it's worse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back