Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 14, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #1,366 of 4,845
Am I the only one whose really happy with the short cable? :) Too long cable on my HD 595 was and is a real pain. Then again I use these while sitting next to my PC.

I'm definitely liking these more and more.

Depends what you're using them for....with music I'm usually stretched out horizontally on the sofa with my feet up and if I'm using them to watch a movie one needs enough rope to reach the popcorn and a cold Guinness. : )

Jul 14, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,367 of 4,845
Depends what you're using them for....with music I'm usually stretched out horizontally on the sofa with my feet up and if I'm using them to watch a movie one needs enough rope to reach the popcorn and a cold Guinness. : )
Yeah, well your main usage for these was movies if I remember correctly so it makes sense. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,368 of 4,845
Oh my, they are glorious! I don't want to take these suckers off of my head! 5 hours straight now. I suppose I should get off the couch and do something productive. Nah, production is overrated, and these are not. No fatigue from the sound or comfort, and I swear they just keep getting better.

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #1,369 of 4,845
Oh my, they are glorious! I don't want to take these suckers off of my head! 5 hours straight now. I suppose I should get off the couch and do something productive. Nah, production is overrated, and these are not. No fatigue from the sound or comfort, and I swear they just keep getting better.
I really like mine too. I'd like a bit less around 6K-7K and a bit more prominent & forward vocals. Just a personal preference though.

One example:

The vocals are very prominent and strong when using MX 760 and HD 595 (with really old pads). With HD 58X the vocals are more distant.

When I say "a bit" it do really mean a bit. It's entirely possible that pad break in will "fix" this. Some brain burn in probably will help - like with new glasses. Also unless I have serious case of placebo, I think these are constantly going into the right direction.

Some say that the HD 6xx series and this has really claustrophobic soundstage but I don't agree at all. Compared to HD 595 I don't think that these are lacking. These manage to create rather awesome space and the imaging is really nice. The speed is much faster than with HD 595 - swap quickly and those sound sloppy. And the clarity & detail...

Something like Hiroyuki Sawano - 立body機motion sounds absolutely incredible and HD 595 has just no chance to match this in it.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,370 of 4,845
Got my Massdrop HD58X Jubilees in the mail today (overseas, not Massdrop's fault!) and I thoroughly approve. The bass extension is much appreciated in the open back format of the classic Sennheiser series. Great... everything actually. I think I prefer these by far to my HD600s due to the modern music emphasis on the lower bass region - I might swap back to the 600s for music that isn't dependent on sub bass response but I might also simply stick with these. Difficult to fault.

Staggeringly good value. I have to keep reminding myself how little I paid for these. If you like open back dynamics then you want a pair of these in your collection.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #1,371 of 4,845
Hope they will drop again soon :wink: .
If someone want to sell it please send me pm, thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,374 of 4,845
Have anyone tested / try the HD58X w/ Balance Cable? Some impressions ? Any noticeable difference in sound quality?

Thanks!

I will test it tomorrow with the balanced cable from the HD 660s connected to FiiO X7 mkII.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #1,376 of 4,845
sweet Thank!

After listening to several genres (classical, rock & pop, synth pop, mainstream music) that to my surprise there are some slight differences.
Aside from the more power the headphone gets (85 volume on player for balanced, 95 for single ended) i noticed the upper regions were a bit smoother and more detailed lower end. Soundstage opened up slightly.
This could be contributed to the player's outpup itself, but i leave that in the middle :)

ps : used the stock sennheiser balanced cable with adapter from 4.5 to 2.5 to connect to player.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,377 of 4,845
While on the cable discussion....anybody have a suggestion for a cable with remote/microphone? These are going to be my at work/traveling cans being driven by my Quad DAC LG G7 and it would be nice to be able to quickly pause/change volume/take calls.
Ditto. Although I've been using the always on display to some good effect for pausing media.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #1,378 of 4,845
Have anyone tested / try the HD58X w/ Balance Cable? Some impressions ? Any noticeable difference in sound quality?

Thanks!

I have a custom made balanced cable that I have been using with my HD660s that I pair with my Pioneer XDP-300R DAP. Compared to the HD660s, the HD58X is much easier to power and more lively. The HD660s are more subdued and allow some finer details but the HD58x is really a great pair of headphones for $150. Whereas the HD660s are sometimes a little too neutral for me I find the HD58x to have some pretty good bass extension and treble. I do feel like the treble on the HD58x is right on the edge of becoming tiresome. Maybe it will break in and become less of an issue. Time will tell, but I will be keeping these headphones for now...

As far as being specific about using a balanced cable. I think what you hear is pretty subjective. For me, it is affects the sound stage and the instrument separation. Sometimes it affects the soundstage in a way I don't like. But it really opens up the quiet spaces and the separation of instruments to my ear. The HD58X performs well with a balanced cable. To be honest, that is the only way I have used the HD58X, so I can't even compare to the stock unbalanced cable.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #1,379 of 4,845
I find the HD600 foam distributes the weight more evenly, though they’re not heavy headphones so it’s not a big deal either way. The only reason to change it is for the visual difference.

Personal thing of course, but I find the HD650 style headband foam more comfortable; the HD600 foam pinches the hair sometimes when taking the phones off or adjusting the position. Other than that, they’re about the same in comfort.

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #1,380 of 4,845
I know it is a partnership with massdrop but why dont we get similar things here in europe? Why there is not a european or global massdrop or something? Sure europeans can still enter the drops but after taxes and with the risk of getting the headphones stuck on customs its really not that worth it in the end.

Although it would be nice if Massdrop had an European distribution center, it’s still a good amount cheaper buying from them, at least when comparing the local price of HD650 with HD6XX.

Buying my HD6XX from Massdrop was about 25% cheaper including shipping, customs fees, and taxes, compared to buying a HD650 from a local dealer with local shipping.

That is at the Massdrop price of $199, if raised to $249 it would come out at about same price in the end. I live in Sweden by the way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back