Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 12, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #1,351 of 4,845
While on the cable discussion....anybody have a suggestion for a cable with remote/microphone? These are going to be my at work/traveling cans being driven by my Quad DAC LG G7 and it would be nice to be able to quickly pause/change volume/take calls.
I just bought one for iPhone from eBay for $15 but from China it could take a couple of weeks

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,352 of 4,845
wp_ss_20180712_0003.png
here is what $15 will get you

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #1,353 of 4,845
strange night, last night. was listening to my beyer t1.2 on my lyr 3. sounded nice, nothing surprising there. looked over to the 58x, which i've been ignoring the last few days, and thought ok fine, lets give you a listen again. instantly thought wow so plasticky sounding! dont ask me to explain that, i just immediately thought "plasticky" as i listened, and struggle to put "plasticky" into words. after a few minutes of brain adjustment to the 58x, i thought to myself "i think i like this better than the t1.2...". so back to the t1.2...yep, liking the 58x more! this began a long and sleepless ordeal of me going from track to track, and headphone to headphone in search of why. nothing about the 58x from a technical perspective is better than the t1.2. but when i just sit back and listen, the 58x resonates in ways the t1.2 doesnt. and i'll start with this, i have zero issues with the t1.2's treble. i dont find it siblant at all. extended to all hell (like the hd800!)? yes! but still not sibilant. it's not harsh/grainy/glaring. it's just extended, which doesnt = sibilant. that out of the way, the more i listened, the more i realized that i prefer the 58x's tonal balance to the t1.2's technical prowess. the 58x is a well tuned headphone, with very neutral overall tone. bass to mids to treble is very smooth and well transitioned. they coexist in harmony. not so much on the t1.2. the bass and treble vie for attention, while the mids hang out at the back of the room. on the t1.2 the transition from bass to mids is abrupt. then again from mids to treble. it's not nearly as smooth and harmonious. funny how tuning can trump technical ability...

ps - this wasnt meant as a bash on the t1.2, i still like it a lot.
While I haven't heard a T1gen2 for a while and I gave my T1gen1 to my son a few months ago one thing that I usually liked about either was when driven by an OTL amp (BH Crack or a friends Elise) they just seem to sound better than with any other type of amp (Lyr2 and Ember) IMO. I think the HD58X is like the HD660S that it sounds better to me on SS or hybrid amps versus OTL amps since the output impedance of most OTL amps tend to be a bit higher than hybrid or SS amps.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,354 of 4,845
I've been listening to the 58x for a while (foobar2000>fulla2>HD58x), and I can say it's a great pair of cans for metal: the guitar tone on albums such as Metallica's Ride the Lightning or Entombed's Clandestine is addictive.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,355 of 4,845
I bought this cable extension. It adds 3 feet which makes it just the right length, and I just put my 1/8 to 1/4 adapter on the end. This way if I want a more portable option, I just disconnected the stock cable from it, and take the headphones away, then return and plug it back in. No second set of cables lying around; no loss off sound quality of course.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKGH862/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,356 of 4,845
Jul 13, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,357 of 4,845
While I haven't heard a T1gen2 for a while and I gave my T1gen1 to my son a few months ago one thing that I usually liked about either was when driven by an OTL amp (BH Crack or a friends Elise) they just seem to sound better than with any other type of amp (Lyr2 and Ember) IMO. I think the HD58X is like the HD660S that it sounds better to me on SS or hybrid amps versus OTL amps since the output impedance of most OTL amps tend to be a bit higher than hybrid or SS amps.

According to my ears, the Ember with EH6922 tube (and Mimby) are my best sounding electronics with the HD58X (better than the Jot or Lake People amps, also both with Mimby/Bimby).

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,358 of 4,845
Received mine on Tuesday. Been on my head every day. Joined the 2nd drop, and got number 2017 which is kinda cool since I started my head fi journey last year. No complaints with the build quality. I like the stealth appearance. They do somewhat look rattle canned, but tastefully so. I don't find the cable unmanageable or cumbersome, so I won't be rushing to replace it. I like that it's not stiff, and stays true to form. My only knock, and it's minor, is the clicking band arm adjustment. I won't keep a headphone if it's loose to the point it takes matters into it's own hands and self adjusts. These I find overly stiff, and somewhat hard to move. Not a big deal at all.
I'll talk about rock and metal. When I 1st listened I immediately thought heck no, terrible. Metallica and Judas Priest I almost couldn't handle. Busy, aggressive rock just wasn't sitting right with me. The lead guitar sounded thin, and the rhythm guitar was almost lost. Vocals and drums were money though. Listening to some slower, less aggressive rock such as the Eagles sounded glorious. Lionel Richie and Ambrosia the same. I don't know what to think or believe regarding burn in, but I can say without hesitation, that after 50 hours or so, everything just dialed in. Listening to XYZ, Lynch Mob, Badlands - Hair metal sounds just premium. Guitars are awesome now.
Aside from the HE400S, these are the only open backs with a moderate Soundstage I've heard that didn't make busy and aggressive music sound like crap. They are exactly what I was hoping for. Listening via the Neutron music player on my LG V30, one notch below full volume (93) gets me about as loud as I want to go. I don't think I would be satisfied listening to these on a basic smartphone.
I also find them incredibly comfortable. Clamp is perfect for my melon. Everything sounds right about where I like it. I still haven't spent over 200 dollars on headphones yet, but for 150 bucks, these are magnificent imo. That being said, I have other cans that do the in your face metal type of music better. Thankfully I don't listen to much of that. If you're an 80's butt rocker, or classic rock lover looking for an outstanding open backs on a budget - get some.

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #1,360 of 4,845
I don't think it changes the frequency response at all, but it does kinda feel more open. I'd be willing to bet that could be placebo or expectation bias though. I'm using Scotch permanent double sided tape. Don't worry, it's not permanent except on paper; it holds better than the non permanent kind. I cut 3 thin strips and arrange them in a triangle like this:

AjH2IOI.jpg

Here's what my 58X looks like all modded:

8mhhu11.jpg
I just applied the stiffened felt mod from diyaudioheaven;
I have HD650 also and did A/B testing;
from my own experience, modified HD58x is not punchy like the original HD58x but still have more bass than H650.
now the woolliness is removed when listening to song with high vocals - this is what I like the most about the mod.
I am still thinking if I should keep the mod or revert back.

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,361 of 4,845
There's one mystery that I don't understand... On paper these should be less sensitive than HD 595 yet in practice both seem to be just as loud at the same volume settings.

Took a while to bend the headband but the clamping force is near perfect now. Also unless this is serious case of placebo I feel that the treble is now a bit smoother and pleasing. I guess the lower clamping force might have effect too.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #1,362 of 4,845
For those who wish to add a longer cable..........all for $14.69 Canadian plus free shipping. : )

I immediately replaced my stock HD58X cable with that cable.

This is my 4th one I got from Sennheiser, converted one to a balanced 4 pin XLR for my 580/600s, once for a replacement for a pair of 650s, another was a free replacement by Sennheiser on the original Massdrop HD6XX drop which mistakenly got shipped with too short a cable and now for the 58Xs as I prefer not to have an additional connection/adapter for 1/4". : )
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.52.20 AM.png

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,363 of 4,845
This is my 4th one I got from Sennheiser, converted one to a balanced 4 pin XLR for my 580/600s, once for a replacement for a pair of 650s, another was a free replacement by Sennheiser on the original Massdrop HD6XX drop which mistakenly got shipped with too short a cable and now for the 58Xs as I prefer not to have an additional connection/adapter for 1/4". : )

I re-terminated my stock HD650 cable to 4-pin XLR (also using the last 8" or so as an XLR to SE adaptor) and now with the HD58X.

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,364 of 4,845
I re-terminated my stock HD650 cable to 4-pin XLR (also using the last 8" or so as an XLR to SE adaptor) and now with the HD58X.

I've done that a few times...besides the 580/600s ....HD700s...also with some AKG K501s and K701s and a pair of Grado 325i....not too sure the HD58X would benefit at all though.
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 2.07.48 PM.png

Jul 14, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,365 of 4,845
Am I the only one whose really happy with the short cable? :) Too long cable on my HD 595 was and is a real pain. Then again I use these while sitting next to my PC.

I'm definitely liking these more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back