1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88
90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
Next

Last
  1. Rob80b
    delete

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. turbomustang84
    Oh I did take out the covers on the inside of the grills just to compare and for those that feel they are bass heavy to my ears it took the Bass down a notch and pushed the highs up a bit .
    I preferred them stock so I put them back but if you want to get a small bit less bass you could try it.

but who knows it might be the placebo effect but it sounded great either way

beercanchicken likes this.
  3. Rob80b
    Assimilator702 and Megazine like this.
  4. Inoculator
    So true, really a good demonstration of what these are capable of.

477621 likes this.
  5. Anarion
    These seem to have noticeably less midbass than HD 595 (which likely was bloated) just the extension is much better. So, these don't sound too bassy to me at all. Overall sounds more neutral to me. Nothing overpowers anything. These do reveal detail and things that just were really hard to hear before or just missing.

turbomustang84 likes this.
  6. speedwheels
    Yes. I do believe the low sensitivity of the AKGs play a part in them getting a bass shy reputation (mostly the K701, K702 and to some extent the Q701). I have seen the graphs for the K712 and the measurements do indeed show a substantial difference between the K712 and K701/K702/Q701 series. If the HD58x has low end comparable to the K712 then they are a must listen I guess. Oh well, I might end up opening the box after all.

7. Anarion
    IMO it extends further than K712 Pro.

8. Rob80b
    In terms of the K701s bass.. while more than adequately powering them helped it still never managed to come close to the K712/7XXs...
    Here I used a Bryston 2BLP to power the K701s and the K501s.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.21.51 PM.png
    it really came down to the newer pads on the K712s.

In fact when I installed the 712 pads on the 701s and visa versa the two phones became almost indistinguishable IMHO
    ....see my last comment on my K712 review...
    https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/akg-k712-pro.16244/reviews#review-11476

But to answer your inquiry... I would definitely say the HD58X and K712 have "comparable" low ends, in fact the Senns may have a bit more extension.

Maelob, volly and trellus like this.
  9. Rob80b
    You beat me to it. : )

10. Megazine
    How are you driving them?

11. Anarion
    Sound BlasterX AE-5. I have O2 amp too but makes the sound more compressed, reduces the soundstage width and makes the imaging/stereo image worse. Both have low (~1 ohm) output impedance.

12. Tuneslover
    I'm in agreement with you about the short life span of the Sennheiser ear pads, worse still the unrealistic price they charge for $2 worth of material. I decided to replace my HD650 pads with Dekoni Velour Elite ones. They are a much more durable pad which I'm anticipating will certainly outlast the stock Sennheiser pads although time will tell. Be advised that although the Dekoni pads are quite good, they will however not sound like the stock Senn's. You will end up with a slightly darker tone with slightly more bass. Still has the Sennheiser sound signature but different. No worries on my part because I also have the HD6XX to give me that original sound. The HD650/Dekoni combo is like owning a different sounding HD650.

volly and caenlenfromOCN like this.
  13. Assimilator702
    I modded mine twice and returned them to stock twice. I noticed with the felt covering the back of the driver, a drastic reduction in bass and a plasticky sound to the treble.

I plan on keeping them stock for a long time. Why neuter such a nice sound signature? I wanted a headphone that excels at Rock and Metal and this HD 58X is it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    caenlenfromOCN likes this.
  14. Sukiluv
    hi all....anyone in the chicagoland or northwest indiana area willing to sell a pair of hd 58x...please let me know...thank you

15. spronkey
    My really old HD600s have been stretched a lot, and as a consequence the pads last a lot longer. The very stretched 600s are also cloud-level comfortable. See https://imgur.com/Ldbd67b for a comparison.

First

Back
79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88
90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
Next

Last