Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 8, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #1,231 of 4,845
As much as I love the HD 600, I’d argue that it’s not actually neutral. It rolls off too quickly down low to properly represent a lot of recordings. The HD58X is warmer, but to me it’s actually more *transparent* because it can offer a better fledged out low end, while retaining the mids and highs.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #1,232 of 4,845
Yeah, I'm using some polyester 1mm felt. It's Creatology premium I think, like Solderdude's mod. Cutting a hole in the back defeats the purpose of the mod. That hole is what gives the headphone its bass response. To flatten the midbass, you have to cover it and different materials dampen it more or less. Also, covering the hole prevents the driver from getting dust or anything else in it. That's what the foam parts were added for, since the prototype had foam over the port and the grills open. If you aren't covering the port in the magnet, make sure you leave the foam in the grills in place to keep dust out.

The Creatology Premium is a 100% polyester fiber made from recycled plastic bottles. I thought Solderdudes mentioned his was a 50/50 poly cotton blend

I just did the mod with another brand of felt that's 100% polyester and I'm not sure I like the result. The treble sounds more plasticky and there's deffinately less energy in the midbass and sub regions. I'll go back to stock until I gather a few different types of felt. I like the stock sound too much to abandon it.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,234 of 4,845
There are some adhesive felt on Amazon, I wonder if there would be any difference from Solderdude’s method. Hopefully they are easily removable also

I have some ~1mm black adhesive craft felt (easily removable) left over from previous headphone experiments and plan to try it with the 58X later tonight.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,236 of 4,845
Adhesive backed felt will have the adhesive film on the back, basically sealing the port in the back of the driver. The ports does two things. It helps to eliminate high frequency reflections from the back side of the cone as well as avoids air compression under the cone between the motor and the cone/voice coil. Mods without measurements is sorts of like putting random springs on a car and saying it handles better because it "feels" better. If you like it, by all means that is the most important thing. In reality it maybe performing worse. Just depends on. What is most important to each person.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,237 of 4,845
The Creatology Premium is a 100% polyester fiber made from recycled plastic bottles. I thought Solderdudes mentioned his was a 50/50 poly cotton blend

I just did the mod with another brand of felt that's 100% polyester and I'm not sure I like the result. The treble sounds more plasticky and there's deffinately less energy in the midbass and sub regions. I'll go back to stock until I gather a few different types of felt. I like the stock sound too much to abandon it.
His was creatology stiffened eco-fi (recycled plastic bottles) but it was 50/50 poly/acrylic where all I could find was the eco-fi 100% poly. Try different things and see what you like best. That's the most important thing at the end of the day. A big part of modding is experimenting and tweaking things more to subjective preferences. There was a "Classic Eco-fi" felt I bought at a Wal Mart that isn't stiffened. It tamed the mid bass a bit but left more of the original tuning. Might be a nice middle ground.

There are some adhesive felt on Amazon, I wonder if there would be any difference from Solderdude’s method. Hopefully they are easily removable also
I have some ~1mm black adhesive craft felt (easily removable) left over from previous headphone experiments and plan to try it with the 58X later tonight.
The adhesive felt I tried seemed to completely kill the bass and got much too bright. I'm guessing it sealed too much and/or the adhesive stopped too much air flow. It could certainly vary based on different brands and different thicknesses though, so it's worth a shot.

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,238 of 4,845
The adhesive felt I tried seemed to completely kill the bass and got much too bright. I'm guessing it sealed too much and/or the adhesive stopped too much air flow. It could certainly vary based on different brands and different thicknesses though, so it's worth a shot.

The adhesive felt I had has only a thin layer of glue applied which can be easily removed with some isopropyl alcohol - i.e. I can remove the glue from the centre over the port.
Unfortunately when I checked the sheet the glue had 'gone off' under the backing sheet and was no longer sticky - so will have to get some more.
What was the thickness of the felt you tried?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,239 of 4,845
The adhesive felt I had has only a thin layer of glue applied which can be easily removed with some isopropyl alcohol - i.e. I can remove the glue from the centre over the port.
Unfortunately when I checked the sheet the glue had 'gone off' under the backing sheet and was no longer sticky - so will have to get some more.
What was the thickness of the felt you tried?
I think all my felt, whether adhesive or not, is 1mm.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,241 of 4,845
As much as I love the HD 600, I’d argue that it’s not actually neutral. It rolls off too quickly down low to properly represent a lot of recordings. The HD58X is warmer, but to me it’s actually more *transparent* because it can offer a better fledged out low end, while retaining the mids and highs.
Everyone hears things a bit differently, so you've got a great deal if the 58X works for you. :)
I find the 600 to be easily more neutral/realistic and definitely hear it as more transparent - sadly, I'm liking the 58X less the more I listen to it. Of course the 600 does roll off more quickly, so if bass extension is the higher priority 58X is the winner.

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,242 of 4,845
Everyone hears things a bit differently, so you've got a great deal if the 58X works for you. :)
I find the 600 to be easily more neutral/realistic and definitely hear it as more transparent - sadly, I'm liking the 58X less the more I listen to it. Of course the 600 does roll off more quickly, so if bass extension is the higher priority 58X is the winner.

Saying that the 600 is more neutral depends on what music you listen to when I bought my 600s in 98 one of the first albums I played was Tool Ænima and there was parts of the drums were actually missing
So I swapped in several headphones including my HD580s and they came back and at the time my speakers were Klipsch Heresys and they came in loud and clear.

Unfortunately I was born with bad eyes but dog hearing and the 600s butchered one of my favorite albums so back to the store they went .
I own several head shaking Bass headphones and when I want that effect I drag them out
but to call something neutral it must not add to or take away and with the music I like the 600s just do not do that.

The 650s do sort of and actually the 58X do it and just seem the highs are a bit clearer and the Bass is a bit quicker .

My friend who listens to a lot of jazz and classical absolutely loves his 600s and now that I can get a used set for less than 1/3 the price I paid for my 600s I am bidding on a pair now and im going to revisit them but now I have many more Headphones than I did then and listen to more genres than I did in my 30s so maybe in my 50s I will judge them less hrsh .

I actually think the only pair in the 6 Series that are truly neutral are the 580s but this is my opinion you are welcome to yours

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,243 of 4,845
I wear glasses so better bass extension would be preferable. Might end up sounding better than something that's already "bass anemic".

Look like mine finally reached Finland so I might get them on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #1,244 of 4,845
Saying that the 600 is more neutral depends on what music you listen to.......

Yeah, totally. I'm talking more about reproducing acoustic piano, trumpet, vibraphone, human voice etc more realistically and transparently - probably 58X might be better for playing back Tool, that's not really my thing. Enjoy.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,245 of 4,845
Yeah, totally. I'm talking more about reproducing acoustic piano, trumpet, vibraphone, human voice etc more realistically and transparently - probably 58X might be better for playing back Tool, that's not really my thing. Enjoy.

Holy crap we are in complete agreement LoL

The reason I've decided to buy another pair of 600s is for certain albums that I think they would be perfect for like the Soundtrack for Meet Joe Black .
I could just swap out my 580s plastic grills with some 600s but the 580s are just to special to me to mess with .

I do want to have all the 6, series but ive not really heard the 660s yet and talk about differing opinions those are all over the place all the way from they love them to a YouTube reviewer that was almost in tears thinking the 660s were going to be the end of the ,6 series .

I think the only Audio related thing that has depressed me that much was the death of Sansui lol
Have a great day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back