Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 7, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #1,217 of 4,845
I understand where you're coming from and this actually explains a lot. A good friend of mine also works in software and he has a similar mindset on such things. And that's totally fine if you feel comfortable coming to such conclusions with the time you've spent with the product. Everyone's process is different, and at least you did make it clear in the review about your sources/time frame. Personally I would need a lot more time to get a feel for the headphones before forming any final thoughts.

I also see you updated your disclaimer, which I think is very good idea. Since you've already assigned a score to the headphones, I think it's important to let people know that your review is still in-progress and could change.

Any way, let's get this thread back on topic. Let us know when you updated your review down the road. Cheers!
Will do. Cheers

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #1,218 of 4,845
After a full week of burn in, 1/3 warm pink noise, almost brown noise, and one day of my iTunes collection, and the rest (mostly) a local pop radio station. The sound is slightly better in the mids and highs. Soundstage is similar, bass is slightly reduced. I'd say give it a burn in if you think it's too much. Still a bit more than the HD650, but there is nothing hyped about the bass. I've got the closed headphones that favor the bass to take care of that aspect. As it is I couldn't imagine trying to mod it, it works in exactly the place I want it to work in my small collection.

I think closed headphone is what everyone should be looking it for bassy headphones

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,219 of 4,845
Any suggestions for a non-DIY 2.5mm balanced cable around $20 for the HD6 series? Not finding anything at the usual places (Amazon, eBay, etc ).

Jul 7, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #1,220 of 4,845
After the listening to the HD58X further, I’m starting to discover that it images really well! Sound stage is also what I would call realistic and adequate. In my previous posts, I mentioned that the HD58X’s mids sounds thinner than the HD6XX, my opinion on this still stands but after hearing the HD58X out of my GEL3N, I found that the mids has improved when you throw more power at it. However it is still not HD6XX levels.

I have also tried to run the HD58X out of my iPad and for sure, it works and gets decently loud. However, I don’t think you can get much quality out of the HD58X (or for that matter the HD6XX) with a portable device.

Overall, I think that the HD58X is a more “modern” presentation where treble, air and accuracy is desired while the HD6XX is more “retro” as it focuses more on its velvety smooth mid range. For the prices which Massdrop are selling them for, I think that they are an exceptional bargain and I don’t think anyone would be disappointed with either. I’m just really thrilled to have both in my collection.

Jul 7, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,221 of 4,845
@PeteMtl
Hey, I meant no harm. I thought you were making an objective claim. I enjoyed reading your piece and I “liked” it. I’ve been trying to find the mids advantage for the 6XX through NPR Tiny Desk performances but, it’s very close. I might have to hear some music through Tidal (Master) to see where your coming from.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,222 of 4,845
After the listening to the HD58X further, I’m starting to discover that it images really well! Sound stage is also what I would call realistic and adequate. In my previous posts, I mentioned that the HD58X’s mids sounds thinner than the HD6XX, my opinion on this still stands but after hearing the HD58X out of my GEL3N, I found that the mids has improved when you throw more power at it. However it is still not HD6XX levels.

I have also tried to run the HD58X out of my iPad and for sure, it works and gets decently loud. However, I don’t think you can get much quality out of the HD58X (or for that matter the HD6XX) with a portable device.

Overall, I think that the HD58X is a more “modern” presentation where treble, air and accuracy is desired while the HD6XX is more “retro” as it focuses more on its velvety smooth mid range. For the prices which Massdrop are selling them for, I think that they are an exceptional bargain and I don’t think anyone would be disappointed with either. I’m just really thrilled to have both in my collection.
This is pretty much my impression too. After the felt mod and removing the foam from the grills, I can't decide which is better between this and the 600. The 600 has that perfect emotional realism to the midrange, but the imaging and quickness of the modded 58X really took me aback in a good way. I was going to sell the one I didn't like as much but at this point I can't choose. I'm really starting to think there's no reason not to just hang on to both.

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,223 of 4,845
This is pretty much my impression too. After the felt mod and removing the foam from the grills, I can't decide which is better between this and the 600. The 600 has that perfect emotional realism to the midrange, but the imaging and quickness of the modded 58X really took me aback in a good way. I was going to sell the one I didn't like as much but at this point I can't choose. I'm really starting to think there's no reason not to just hang on to both.
Hmm seems to me like removing the foam doesn't do much. But the felt mod... What kind of tape did you use for it? I was hoping I could just "shove" the felt piece in though.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,224 of 4,845
You sure that the 58x has the veil lifted? Like is it worth selling the 6xx for the 58x?

No, it's worth buying a 58X and seeing for yourself what you like. It's only $150. The veil has lifted as far as I'm concerned--yes.

Update 7/12/18: In some respects the 58X destroys the HDXX. The clarity is so far beyond. The aliveness is so "there". I feel like I'm transported to the venue itself. The drums and cymbols sound like they have more presence. I feel like I'm closer to the stage. Dynamics are better too. It reminds me a bit like my old Beyerdynamics T5p.2. There is a precsion and an edge the HD6XX just don't have. Complicated passages with many instruments are not as congealed/congested into one confusing noise. The HD6XX sound dead when I go back to them. I may sell the HD6XX. Still testing.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #1,225 of 4,845
Hmm seems to me like removing the foam doesn't do much. But the felt mod... What kind of tape did you use for it? I was hoping I could just "shove" the felt piece in though.
I don't think it changes the frequency response at all, but it does kinda feel more open. I'd be willing to bet that could be placebo or expectation bias though. I'm using Scotch permanent double sided tape. Don't worry, it's not permanent except on paper; it holds better than the non permanent kind. I cut 3 thin strips and arrange them in a triangle like this:

AjH2IOI.jpg

Here's what my 58X looks like all modded:

8mhhu11.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #1,226 of 4,845

Which material did you use? I added some felt similar looking to yours....round furniture pads which have a slightly rough texture.... and I didn't hear anything wrong but removed it since I wasn't sure it made a difference. From memory it seems the treble was reduced a touch. I figure I'll get a few more weeks of headtime in stock mode.

So far for anything faster paced and aggressive I prefer the HD 58X over the 6XX.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #1,227 of 4,845

My LG G7 disagrees with this statement

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,228 of 4,845
Which material did you use? I'm guessing you performed the mod the way it's shown in diyaudioheaven? I added some felt to the back of the magnet but cut a hole in the middle. I didn't hear anything wrong but removed it since I wasn't sure it made a difference. I figure I'll get a few more weeks of headtime in stock mode.

So far for anything faster paced and aggressive I prefer the HD 58X over the 6XX.
Yeah, I'm using some polyester 1mm felt. It's Creatology premium I think, like Solderdude's mod. Cutting a hole in the back defeats the purpose of the mod. That hole is what gives the headphone its bass response. To flatten the midbass, you have to cover it and different materials dampen it more or less. Also, covering the hole prevents the driver from getting dust or anything else in it. That's what the foam parts were added for, since the prototype had foam over the port and the grills open. If you aren't covering the port in the magnet, make sure you leave the foam in the grills in place to keep dust out.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,229 of 4,845
The consensus I've heard from a few places is that it sounds extremely similar to a 660S. I've never heard the 660S myself, just the 600 and 650, but the measurements of the 660 do look similar, at least as far as frequency response goes.

The mod I'm talking about is attaching some crafting felt (1mm polyester) to the back of the magnet. It covers the hole enough to dull the mid bass without killing the extension. It's illustrated here.

Solderdude's full guide is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dr7hp34vq11aag/HD58X+evaluation.pdf

Thanks for direct link.
That's a pretty comprehensive comparison to the other 600 models by 'Solderdude' and some nifty mod experiments.
I strongly suspect I'd like the modded 58X much better since the lower mids upper/mid bass is now normalised to the HD600.
I think that mentioned divergence makes the 58X tonally too different from my daily use Utopia headphones and Harbeth speakers to be a useful alternative for me - ie I can pick up the 600 after using the Utopia and although clarity/vividness/detail etc are clearly inferior there isn't a disconnect in tonal balance.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #1,230 of 4,845
Yeah, I'm using some polyester 1mm felt. It's Creatology premium I think, like Solderdude's mod. Cutting a hole in the back defeats the purpose of the mod. That hole is what gives the headphone its bass response. To flatten the midbass, you have to cover it and different materials dampen it more or less. Also, covering the hole prevents the driver from getting dust or anything else in it. That's what the foam parts were added for, since the prototype had foam over the port and the grills open. If you aren't covering the port in the magnet, make sure you leave the foam in the grills in place to keep dust out.

Yes. I'm guessing the material covering the hole acts in a similar fashion as an aperiodic membrane. I like the bass response but I am curious the change the mod makes. Luckily it can be reverted back to stock in a few minutes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back