Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,081 of 4,845
Yes. A big advantage of the 58x is that it does sound great modestly powered, unlike the 6XX. On the other hand, the 58x's don't scale nearly as well compared to the 580/6XX line.

I think overall the tuning of the 58x is "fun" sounding, while still retaining some of that classic Sennheiser 580/XX series flavor. I was listening to a lot of pop/rock/hip hop with the 58x and it was enjoyable. I think at it's price point it's a great entry into the realm of higher end sounding headphones. Or perhaps even a good end game set for your average Joe. However, it does lack a lot of the refinement and technical prowess of the 580/600/650/660 family. No doubt the 58x drivers amounted to much of the cost difference saved by Sennheiser.

The 6XX's are chain dependent and can be quite laid back or "exciting", although that last term is very subjective.
Interesting, thank you. I don't know much about eh new 58X but I've done a lot of reading on the HD600 and 6XX. There's something about the 6XX that gravitates me towards it, mainly it's warm description. I currently use the B&O H6 as my headphone of choice but I've always wanted to try one of these Senns, so I'm thinking of someday putting together a modest setup that I can use for home, reference listening and the H6 for everything else. The 58X and HD6XX are my top picks of the HD line due to price. The HD600 is closest to reference, but also more expensive and not as easy to listen to, basing that on what I gather. I'm not the type that's looking to own a whole bunch of headphones or spending too much on them. Just a good closed back, a pair for the gym, and now considering a good reference-quality open back, but only if I'm lucky enough to find a small listening space in my new place :)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,082 of 4,845
Yes. A big advantage of the 58x is that it does sound great modestly powered, unlike the 6XX. On the other hand, the 58x's don't scale nearly as well compared to the 580/6XX line.

I think overall the tuning of the 58x is "fun" sounding, while still retaining some of that classic Sennheiser 580/XX series flavor. I was listening to a lot of pop/rock/hip hop with the 58x and it was enjoyable. I think at it's price point it's a great entry into the realm of higher end sounding headphones. Or perhaps even a good end game set for your average Joe. However, it does lack a lot of the refinement and technical prowess of the 580/600/650/660 family. No doubt the 58x drivers amounted to much of the cost difference saved by Sennheiser.

The 6XX's are chain dependent and can be quite laid back or "exciting", although that last term is very subjective.
Sounds like a headphone for me since l don't want to hassle with expensive amp pairing. Skipping first drop I really hope massdrop won't up the price in the second one...

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,083 of 4,845
I have not got mine yet but they could have them finger painted by Chimpanzees and still not be as bad as the pretend Granite on the HD-600.
I think Germany did not go through their phsycedelic phase till the 90s because no one could have done that and said aww that looks wunderbar .

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,084 of 4,845
Do the grills feel "rough" at all? I know someone said this previously, wondering if it is common throughout the batch.
I don't think mine are rough at all; my fingers glide right over them no problem. SHP9500S is a lot more jaggy by comparison. Grills are a non-factor for me in terms of both looks and finish quality, it's the cheap-o gloss black paint job that catches my eye.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,085 of 4,845
Interesting, thank you. I don't know much about eh new 58X but I've done a lot of reading on the HD600 and 6XX. There's something about the 6XX that gravitates me towards it, mainly it's warm description. I currently use the B&O H6 as my headphone of choice but I've always wanted to try one of these Senns, so I'm thinking of someday putting together a modest setup that I can use for home, reference listening and the H6 for everything else. The 58X and HD6XX are my top picks of the HD line due to price. The HD600 is closest to reference, but also more expensive and not as easy to listen to, basing that on what I gather. I'm not the type that's looking to own a whole bunch of headphones or spending too much on them. Just a good closed back, a pair for the gym, and now considering a good reference-quality open back, but only if I'm lucky enough to find a small listening space in my new place :)

The HD58X would serve you well. I just got the B&O H7 from a trade a day before finally getting the HD58X in. For bluetooth headphone they sounded great out of the Shanling M0 DAP. The HD58X is an entirely different level of headphone...detail, dynamics, and clarity the H7 simply doesn't have. Has worked great from everything I've run it off of.

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,086 of 4,845
Sheit. Still have not arrived in Finland so it's starting to look unlikely that I'll get them this week. So slow...

Let me know how they compare to the 595's. I've always liked the faster sound of the 595's vs the 580's, so def curious how those two compare.

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #1,087 of 4,845
Just received mine today and I'm very impressed.

I often found HD650 dark and veil, details are often overpowered by mid bass, on the other hand, HD600 is a slightly grainy and can be bass light at times.

I was worrying HD58X will be another dark headphone when I saw new FR graph comparing to HD650.

It turns out HD58X has good bass extension, non fatiguing high, smooth while retaining lots of detail, not dark or grainy at all.

Smoothness of HD650 and details of HD600, best of both worlds. I would pick HD58X over HD600 and HD650 even if they are the same price.

Good job Massdrop and Sennheiser!

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,088 of 4,845
Just received mine today and I'm very impressed.

I often found HD650 dark and veil, details are often overpowered by mid bass, on the other hand, HD600 is a slightly grainy and can be bass light at times.

I was worrying HD58X will be another dark headphone when I saw new FR graph comparing to HD650.

It turns out HD58X has good bass extension, non fatiguing high, smooth while retaining lots of detail, not dark or grainy at all.

Smoothness of HD650 and details of HD600, best of both worlds. I would pick HD58X over HD600 and HD650 even if they are the same price.

Good job Massdrop and Sennheiser!

5 hours in and I pretty much agree with this. I wish the sound stage was a little bigger but otherwise they are solid. I definitely like them better than the 660s and they sound a little more balanced than the 650s.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #1,089 of 4,845
Man, are all Massdrop cans this polarizing and conflicting, or is the conflict just the norm with headphones in general. This is my 1st rodeo. I know how and what we hear from phones is rather subjective, but this thread is all over the place. Gonna need to start taking Xanax if I keep reading every new post. Seems like the split is more in favor for these thus far, so that's good..... I think

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #1,091 of 4,845
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask if anyone had experience with the HD 58X compared to the HD650/HD660.

Recently went on a headphone buying spree and over the past month I have sold or returned the HD6XX, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, and HD660s—The HD6XX for shouty mids, the Amiron Home for comfort issues, and HD660 for shouty mids and harsh highs. I currently have the HD700, love the headphones for movies/gaming, but looking for something more musical minus the shouty mids. I am usually treble sensitive and get ear fatigue easy, but I have no issues with the HD700s.

I know I will have to wait for another drop, but if the HD 58X provides a great musical experience minus the shouty mids of the 650/660, I may have to buy a pair. I just love the comfort of the 600 line of Sennheiser, even more than the HD700s.

I’ll be running the headphones through my Audio GD R2R 11 amp/dac and plan to upgrade to a better amp later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #1,092 of 4,845
Man, are all Massdrop cans this polarizing and conflicting, or is the conflict just the norm with headphones in general. This is my 1st rodeo. I know how and what we hear from phones is rather subjective, but this thread is all over the place. Gonna need to start taking Xanax if I keep reading every new post. Seems like the split is more in favor for these thus far, so that's good..... I think

Ditto!:beerchug:

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,093 of 4,845
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask if anyone had experience with the HD 58X compared to the HD650/HD660.

Recently went on a headphone buying spree and over the past month I have sold or returned the HD6XX, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, and HD660s—The HD6XX for shouty mids, the Amiron Home for comfort issues, and HD660 for shouty mids and harsh highs. I currently have the HD700, love the headphones for movies/gaming, but looking for something more musical minus the shouty mids. I am usually treble sensitive and get ear fatigue easy, but I have no issues with the HD700s.

I know I will have to wait for another drop, but if the HD 58X provides a great musical experience minus the shouty mids of the 650/660, I may have to buy a pair. I just love the comfort of the 600 line of Sennheiser, even more than the HD700s.

I’ll be running the headphones through my Audio GD R2R 11 amp/dac and plan to upgrade to a better amp later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the sound signature of HD 700 so can't compare both but 58x pairs better then 650's on R2R11 and it sounds that it could fit the bill since the mids on Jubilee are pretty linear,I really like them on R2R 11 ,btw there is a pair or two of this on for sale section

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,094 of 4,845
There are a number of reasons for varying opinions: break in vs lack of break in, adjusting the listener to the sound as presented, different equipment (not so much the level of quality, but some equipment colors the sound or doesn’t power it properly and that isn’t the fault of a headphone), and some listeners don’t want accurate sound and have personal preferences for various types of presentation.

Also, you’re not treble sensitive necessarily if you don’t like awkward peaks, those shouldn’t exist.

I have these headphones and can recommend them from what I’ve heard so far. I’ll go into more detailed review when I am satisfied with the amount of time spent with them.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #1,095 of 4,845
Welcome to headfi, where the only thing people agree on is that they like headphones, everything else is all family squabbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back