Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #676 of 4,845
I'm a bit on the fence about the serialization thing. I was one of the folks who got the "Yours has shipped already but might have a high serial number," email. I live in a distant part of the US, so MD packages often take 2+ weeks. Consequently, I'm expecting mine around the 2nd week of July. I'd really not like to wait another 2+ weeks to return and wait for the new one. It'd be nice to have a low serial number to have a little extra street cred but I don't know if extra street cred is worth another month of waiting.

Is street cred the main benefit with the low number? Would the resell market for these be such that a low serial number would pull more? At the end of the day, I recognize that these headphones aren't that special. I'm not the type with a decent head for marketing and the like (I know guys who live for the hustle and I just can't keep up with them) so I'm trusting you guys!

Unless you get like 0001 or something, there is no difference in resale value.

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #677 of 4,845
I'm a bit pissed I bought my pair the second they went live and I got a serial in the mid 4500's. it annoys me because I sat and waited for the drop to go live and bought a pair as quickly as I could to get a low number. I'm just ocd about stuff like that

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #678 of 4,845
Unless you get like 0001 or something, there is no difference in resale value.

I'm a bit pissed I bought my pair the second they went live and I got a serial in the mid 4500's. it annoys me because I sat and waited for the drop to go live and bought a pair as quickly as I could to get a low number. I'm just ocd about stuff like that

Both fair points of view. I suppose ultimately it'll come down to how I feel about the number I get. I'm sure that once I have it in my hands, I'll have a good feeling about what I'll want to do.

Okay, sorry for clogging the thread with more serialization discussion. I'd like to return to listening impressions now, please. :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #679 of 4,845
So now Massdrop are offering the HD58X to the general public and they haven't even shipped the ones to those who joined back in January? What is wrong with this outfit anyway?

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #680 of 4,845
Not all value is monetary so depending on your disposition as a person and what's important to you, I think people promised a certain serialization have a right to be upset. The expectations are reaching a pretty big crescendo right now so for bragging rights, I get it (though not important to me in this particular instance).
Either way, mine are finally en route and am really excited because they seem to be turning into everything I'd hoped.

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #681 of 4,845
So now Massdrop are offering the HD58X to the general public and they haven't even shipped the ones to those who joined back in January? What is wrong with this outfit anyway?

They are a bizarre outfit to say the least. I remember when they tried to raise the HD 6XX by $50 to $249, there was outrage and they capitulated back to $199. In this instance, with all of the positive reviews coming in and limited quantity remaining, (which I'd guess will sell out in a couple days); I'd think they could easily raise the price this time. Just goes to show how good they are at making people angry, haha

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #682 of 4,845
Not all value is monetary so depending on your disposition as a person and what's important to you, I think people promised a certain serialization have a right to be upset. The expectations are reaching a pretty big crescendo right now so for bragging rights, I get it (though not important to me in this particular instance).
Either way, mine are finally en route and am really excited because they seem to be turning into everything I'd hoped.

I think my feeling is about in line with yours. I understand those that are frustrated though I myself am on the fence about how important it is to me vs. waiting times etc. I did email MD support to see what my options are and what the process is if they do come in with an undesirably high SN. They did mention that shipping would be the same method and that a batch with low serials would potentially not ship until later in July. All's well, though: package doesn't arrive till later anyway. Based on the few impressions I've read, it seems that they're turning into what I've hoped for too. The only disappointing thing that I've heard about so far (which is entirely understandable) is that scalalbility of gear is reportedly not stellar. Again, understandable. I was just hopeful that it would be one of the late-game miracles Senn did.

Sidenote: I remember seeing @CEE TEE saying somewhere that tomorrow's drop would be the same price but future production runs might be higher. So... prepare your wallets and check your network connections, I guess.

Jun 26, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #683 of 4,845
My HD58x just shipped, they used FedEx this time instead of DHL. Should arrive this week instead of ten days from now, so glad to see Massdrop changed their shipping method. lol I have had a rough week and half with medical stuff, really going to enjoy getting these in the mail and relaxing. Probably will buy some Dekoni pads for them at next drop.

They use FedEx Smartpost, which isn't much better. That basically means FedEx Ground handles it up until delivery, then hands it off to USPS for delivery. It's really slow.

Jun 26, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #684 of 4,845
They use FedEx Smartpost, which isn't much better. That basically means FedEx Ground handles it up until delivery, then hands it off to USPS for delivery. It's really slow.
I returned some HPs back to Buydig because they were faulty. Dropped them off at USPS on Thursday, June 14th. It took them until Tuesday of the following week just to get in Fedex's hands. Fedex has moved them slowly for the past week. Delivery is supposed to be by COB tomorrow. Almost 2 weeks! PATHETIC!

Jun 26, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #685 of 4,845
I returned some HPs back to Buydig because they were faulty. Dropped them off at USPS on Thursday, June 14th. It took them until Tuesday of the following week just to get in Fedex's hands. Fedex has moved them slowly for the past week. Delivery is supposed to be by COB tomorrow. Almost 2 weeks! PATHETIC!

returns are always much slower than anything else, its just how the algorithm they use works. it makes sense if you think about, its not priority, but yeah two weeks is a little much I agree.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #686 of 4,845
As a european citizen and given that Sennheiser is a European brand i cant help to a bit disrespected.... it makes me mad that for us europeans our best option to get into the hd6** series is too get a hd600 from amazon for 270 euros while in america you guys are getting hd650’s and now this hd58x at very low prices....

It feels like Sennheiser doesnt really give a **** about their european costumers.....

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #687 of 4,845
As a european citizen and given that Sennheiser is a European brand i cant help to a bit disrespected.... it makes me mad that for us europeans our best option to get into the hd6** series is too get a hd600 from amazon for 270 euros while in america you guys are getting hd650’s and now this hd58x at very low prices....

Feels to me that Sennheiser doesnt really give a **** about their european costumers.....

You're thinking about it all wrong. Sennheiser has been hired to make these headphones by Massdrop. If it weren't for Massdrop, the headphones would never exist.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #688 of 4,845
You're thinking about it all wrong. Sennheiser has been hired to make these headphones by Massdrop. If it weren't for Massdrop, the headphones would never exist.
I know it is a partnership with massdrop but why dont we get similar things here in europe? Why there is not a european or global massdrop or something? Sure europeans can still enter the drops but after taxes and with the risk of getting the headphones stuck on customs its really not that worth it in the end.

I love sennheiser stuff dont get me wrong, i just think they should give the same opportunities to everyone somehow...

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #689 of 4,845
Because Massdrop is a locally owned business based out of the USA and hasn't decided/can't afford to station itself in Europe? How should I know why there isn't a Massdrop in Europe, I don't own the business. Blaming it on Sennheiser is just misguided anger, though.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #690 of 4,845
So did the purchase drop open and close today, and I missed it? Or is tomorrow the 1st day? Why is Massdrop only selling a select number of these per day, within an unknown time frame? Why not just take orders until they're gone? Too hard to keep track of or something? I'm curious to see what the price is going to be for the units they have on hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back