Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
May 26, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #467 of 4,845
I went on the initial drop for a handful of (not very good) reasons. First, my friend had recently jumped on the HD 6xx drop and was waiting for them to come in (at the time; he has since received them). Second, the price compared to the 6xx snagged me (I'm always looking for ways to artificially feel like I'm getting a good deal). Thirdly, and mainly, I got swept up in the mighty wave of a self-generated hype train. I've been on something of a indie kick in my life. While "indie" is certainly the last label to apply to Sennheiser, the romantic mystery of an unreleased headphone with the legacy of a champion captured my fancy and I jumped in a day later. I tried to forget about it as long as I could but now that we're ~1 month from the advertised shipping date, it's been harder to keep from looking for updates. It seems that there have been some interesting developments since first drop. I'm wondering if I dare read the reviews (when NDA is released) of the production models lest my anticipation become uncontrollable...
I joined the second drop (basically instantly when it came available again). Hoping that mine could ship in the first wave...

May 26, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #468 of 4,845
@Mark Up funny thing is, there is one very angry Massdrop participant who is commenting on the discussion on that drop, that he feels he was duped into this drop because he wanted less bass. :smirk:

That dude is a douche. He is very argumentative and rude.

May 29, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #470 of 4,845
I got to hear these at CanJam and while they were an early prototype (recent measurements show they have more bass now), I have a suspicion they'll end up sounding quite a bit like the 660s -- maybe better? My big beef with the 660s are they have no subbass but very present midbass and mid-treble, which is lively but in a not very cohesive way. I think if these are similar and have a good bass presence they could end up being really popular, and a welcome deviation from the Sennheiser house sound.

May 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #471 of 4,845
It is interesting that over 1,400 people have requested the HD58X on the Massdrop site and no subsequent drops have been issued. I joined the 2nd drop many months ago, I'm not sure if there has been another one thereafter. Anyway you would think with that much interest they would have geared up for another production run. Maybe they want to get that first run out to it's customers (and reviewers) and wait for feedback on this headphone before future drops (and any possible price change).

May 29, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #472 of 4,845
It is interesting that over 1,400 people have requested the HD58X on the Massdrop site and no subsequent drops have been issued. I joined the 2nd drop many months ago, I'm not sure if there has been another one thereafter. Anyway you would think with that much interest they would have geared up for another production run. Maybe they want to get that first run out to it's customers (and reviewers) and wait for feedback on this headphone before future drops (and any possible price change).
They are likely waiting for HD 6XX drop to sell out (about 140 units or three days). It should happen really soon though.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #473 of 4,845
They are likely waiting for HD 6XX drop to sell out (about 140 units or three days). It should happen really soon though.

With Massdrop requesting everyone to stay mum on the new HD58x revision, I think it would be ridiculous to not have another drop when the review embargo is lifted.

May 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #474 of 4,845
With the first orders shipping out soon and the test pairs already shipped out, I suspect that the next drop will happen right after Massdrop/Sennheiser allows reviews to be put out there - especially considering the response people have given thus far about the production version of the headphones (allegedly).

May 29, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #475 of 4,845
I have a suspicion they'll end up sounding quite a bit like the 660s. My big beef with the 660s are they have no sub bass.
Your observation is probably correct. The sound spectrum of the HD6-- series is HD650 / HD6XX warm, lacks sub bass. HD660s a bit less bass, a bit more treble. HD600 even less bass and even more high mids and treble. The HD58X prototype was a lot like that, with a bothersome treble spike and having even less bass than the HD600 is a joke - as if anyone but very few wanted that. Their new voicing made perfect sense. It's going to probably be slightly clearer than the HD650 but not quite at HD660s levels, and it will have more low sub bass than any other open Sennheiser, and the lowest impedance. Genius.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #476 of 4,845
ZPCpwDy3TzWV935QcsLU_Jubilee.jpg

(Pic from https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones/talk/2074446) Unsure of what to expect once the next drop for the HD 58X Jubliee happens. People are saying the tuning change for the first batch (compared to pre-production) is quite significant. The final tuning for the HD 58X Jubliee may be even darker than the HD 650 which are known to have a slightly warm tilt (hence the "veil" myth). Then again, according to reviewers, the HD 58X (at least pre-production) had more treble. This is all kind of odd as the HD 58X Jubilee were initially considered leaner and sharper sounding compared to the HD 650/6XX. Why would Senn change the tuning so significantly, and in a way that makes it more similar to its sibling in the HD 6XX?

I'm also far more interested in whether the HD 58X Jubilee will have the resolving capabilities of the HD 6-- series, seeing as the HD 58X have new drivers. If clarity isn't up to scratch on the HD 58X compared to the HD 6-- series, while having a darker sound, then it probably won't be for me.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #477 of 4,845
ZPCpwDy3TzWV935QcsLU_Jubilee.jpg

(Pic from https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones/talk/2074446) Unsure of what to expect once the next drop for the HD 58X Jubliee happens. People are saying the tuning change for the first batch (compared to pre-production) is quite significant. The final tuning for the HD 58X Jubliee may be even darker than the HD 650 which are known to have a slightly warm tilt (hence the "veil" myth). Then again, according to reviewers, the HD 58X (at least pre-production) had more treble. This is all kind of odd as the HD 58X Jubilee were initially considered leaner and sharper sounding compared to the HD 650/6XX. Why would Senn change the tuning so significantly, and in a way that makes it more similar to its sibling in the HD 6XX?

I'm also far more interested in whether the HD 58X Jubilee will have the resolving capabilities of the HD 6-- series, seeing as the HD 58X have new drivers. If clarity isn't up to scratch on the HD 58X compared to the HD 6-- series, while having a darker sound, then it probably won't be for me.

Customers asked for the change, Sennheiser listened instead of ignoring it and making something to drive sales of a different headphone. My guess if the graphs are accurate.

May 30, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #479 of 4,845
My understanding is that Massdrop requested that Sennheiser give the bass a small boost. That's it. If the graphs are accurate I'd say that the bass boost was pretty significant. Even the mids & treble appear to have seen some change. It will be interesting to hear these babies.

The requested increase in bass was never specified - Massdrop simply said “We have requested an increase to bass extension if Sennheiser can do so without any negative effects by the time of production and they have agreed.”

May 30, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #480 of 4,845
My understanding is that Massdrop requested that Sennheiser give the bass a small boost. That's it. If the graphs are accurate I'd say that the bass boost was pretty significant. Even the mids & treble appear to have seen some change. It will be interesting to hear these babies.
According to Sennheiser boosting the bass and lowering the treble peak was the plan from the start. No one ever said how much other than boost to bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back