Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
May 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #436 of 4,845
I agree with most of what you say, but we can’t be sure until the headphones become available in a few weeks...

And for me personally, a few more weeks since I got in on the second (third?) drop that apparently will ship in July (late July?)

May 17, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #437 of 4,845
It needs the extra bass that is the leaked graph. In the original graph it was a bass deficient version of the HD600. It makes no sense when you can get a used HD600 for $200 or less. They've already made that headphone. It doesn't need less bass. They'd yet to do anything like the "leaked" graph. More bass than ANY open Sennheiser, even an HD800s. It makes it unique in the best possible way.

May 17, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #438 of 4,845
It needs the extra bass that is the leaked graph. In the original graph it was a bass deficient version of the HD600. It makes no sense when you can get a used HD600 for $200 or less. They've already made that headphone. It doesn't need less bass. They'd yet to do anything like the "leaked" graph. More bass than ANY open Sennheiser, even an HD800s. It makes it unique in the best possible way.

Maybe that one guy complaining wanted, essentially, the 600, but with a lower impedance? I'm stretching here... 'cuz I have the 600's, love them, and frankly I did gamble on the 58X knowing it could end up with less bass than the 600, but I was willing to take the gamble, but certainly wasn't just looking for a 150-ohm version of the 600's.

May 18, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #439 of 4,845
Looks like the DIY Audio Heaven update has been edited to confirm that the leaked measurement graphs are from the final product. The update has been edited from this...

I simply jumped the gun thinking the drop had taken place when I received what appeared to be the production model HD58X. Unfortunately I was not informed the model I received was an evaluation model which has to be approved by Massdrop first before production is started. On request by Massdrop I delayed publication of my findings. Watch the Massdrop site for publication about this. When the cat is out of the bag my findings will be posted here and a more elaborate article in pdf. Both are ready to be published once Massdrop has given the approval for production.

To this...

I simply jumped the gun thinking the drop had taken place when I received the production model of the HD58X. Unfortunately I was not informed that I could not publish anything about it yet. That’s why the info disappeared again.

What I can say though is that the ‘mystery plot’ that is out there (Head-fi, Reddit and on Massdrop comments page) is the actual measurement plot of the HD58X production model and the graph is accurate (that is, when you find my plots to be accurate).

As that plot is out there anyway I will treat you on the FR of the production HD58X (Left, Right) … Now there is channel matching for ya… but… I will have to hold out on all the other good stuf about this piece of German engineering.

May 18, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #440 of 4,845
And he posted channel matching graph now. Honestly, I think this looks really nice.
fr-hd58x1.png

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-58x-jubilee-massdrop/

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #441 of 4,845
I forgot about these. I'd joined the drop about two years ago I think. But how time flies.

May 18, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #442 of 4,845
And he posted channel matching graph now. Honestly, I think this looks really nice.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-58x-jubilee-massdrop/

Yep, it’s looking great based off of those measurements (and it’s $150!), I’m stoked with how they’re shaping up. There’s a couple of very upset people over in the Massdrop discussion, rather toxic actually. Apparently Massdrop caved to the millennials, and Sennheiser has produces a rival to Beats :/

May 18, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #443 of 4,845
Yep, it’s looking great based off of those measurements (and it’s $150!), I’m stoked with how they’re shaping up. There’s a couple of very upset people over in the Massdrop discussion, rather toxic actually. Apparently Massdrop caved to the millennials, and Sennheiser has produces a rival to Beats :/

I hardly think that they will have Beats bass, thankfully.

May 18, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #444 of 4,845

Dont worry its nowhere close to beats bass level, actually it's not even more than the HD650 bass. Response on the HD58x is looking sharp

May 19, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #446 of 4,845
I forgot about these. I'd joined the drop about two years ago I think. But how time flies.
More like six months ago at best... :p

May 19, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #448 of 4,845
Or in "headphone years". It always seemingly takes forever.

May 19, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #449 of 4,845
Would Sennheiser be able to finish the headphones before July? If I remember correctly I got my HD6XX 1 month before the expected ship date. This time, let’s be frank, the number of orders seems to far under Massdrop’s expectation so perhaps they can drop the HD58X sooner?
Just my wild speculation.

May 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #450 of 4,845
Would Sennheiser be able to finish the headphones before July? If I remember correctly I got my HD6XX 1 month before the expected ship date. This time, let’s be frank, the number of orders seems to far under Massdrop’s expectation so perhaps they can drop the HD58X sooner?
Just my wild speculation.
I'd guess that there's always the possibility that they'll start shipping them earlier. Once they confirm the final tuning officially I'd except upcoming drops selling out faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back