Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
May 19, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #451 of 4,845
Dont worry its nowhere close to beats bass level, actually it's not even more than the HD650 bass. Response on the HD58x is looking sharp

Actually, go back to the graphs posted a few days ago. The HD58X has a bit more sub bass, from 80 hz down to 10 hz. It has the same to sighly less than the HD650 from 80 hz up to 200 hz, the region that makes bass boomy, the extra below 80 hz is clean and what we wanted. Aside from that mild dip from 1.5 khz to 5 khz (which is where we hear the best anyway, so that's ideal) the highs from 5 hz up are generally not too peaked or dipped. It's pretty smooth sailing there, to the top. Nice work.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #452 of 4,845
We will have to hear them. That's the only way to know what's really going on.

May 20, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #454 of 4,845
I heard an updated version of the Jubilee.... have to clarify what I'm allowed to say or not say at this point. So I'll leave it at one word for now:

Wow.

More soon, if possible.
Sounds promising! :)

May 21, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #455 of 4,845
Lol.. such a tease!

I secretly have high high hopes for these those. Fingers crossed huh

May 21, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #457 of 4,845
Sennheiser said:
Indeed, Massdrop asked for the adjustments to the treble and sub-bass extension before even posting the drop page, and stated the goals in the drop overview. Pretty much everyone was careful to state they had pre-production units, and most said more general statements about the sound acknowledging that a change for more bass extension and less of a treble peak were in the works.

We’re still in communication with Massdrop on a regular basis, and release more information, officially, as we can when we have accurate info to share. So far, everything has been moving along according to plan, but still we have to be careful to disclose specific information only when it is accurate :wink:

Thanks again everyone for the vigorous discussions. And let’s remember, what we share is our passion for music and audio, a great common ground to build respectful agreement or debate around.

I didn't know that they had plans to reduce the treble peak right from the start.

May 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #458 of 4,845
They didn't mention the treble peak as a future goal, but it was obvious to many that it would be an issue since it's in the higher mids to low treble which we are very sensitive to. There is talk of how the treble won't be brighter than the HD650 and the bass will be higher, though if you see it objectively, just the bright green graph without comparison, it still rolls off in the bass and is not bass head, while the treble is very even and balanced without any big spikes. That with the cool look and low impedance and price means it is indeed a headphone for the masses. Those who want a bit less bass and more highs than the HD650 have the HD660S. For even more highs, and less lows, the HD600. Having similar response to those two would make no sense. Having more sub bass level / extension (still rolled off) vs. any other Sennheiser premium headphone - amazing.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #459 of 4,845
The wait for production model reviews is really painful...

May 23, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #460 of 4,845
May 23, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #461 of 4,845
They didn't mention the treble peak as a future goal, but it was obvious to many that it would be an issue since it's in the higher mids to low treble which we are very sensitive to. There is talk of how the treble won't be brighter than the HD650 and the bass will be higher, though if you see it objectively, just the bright green graph without comparison, it still rolls off in the bass and is not bass head, while the treble is very even and balanced without any big spikes. That with the cool look and low impedance and price means it is indeed a headphone for the masses. Those who want a bit less bass and more highs than the HD650 have the HD660S. For even more highs, and less lows, the HD600. Having similar response to those two would make no sense. Having more sub bass level / extension (still rolled off) vs. any other Sennheiser premium headphone - amazing.
I personally like the bass rising as reaching the lower bass region, but not significantly. I like the bass on my TH-X00 Ebony due to this. Purple heart seems more significant in comparison.

May 23, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #462 of 4,845
I guess Massdrop is going to dump all the new info on the final production model when the next drop for the 58X happens? Surely that can’t be too far off. Maybe when the current 6XX drop finishes (+500 left, going at roughly 100 per day), but who knows given Massdrops odd timing of the initial drop. Ugh, production started weeks ago, put us out of our speculative misery already...

May 24, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #464 of 4,845
I guess Massdrop is going to dump all the new info on the final production model when the next drop for the 58X happens?
I'd guess so. I also wonder if the price is going up... If it would end up costing the same as HD 6XX, it would be rather interesting.

May 25, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #465 of 4,845
I went on the initial drop for a handful of (not very good) reasons. First, my friend had recently jumped on the HD 6xx drop and was waiting for them to come in (at the time; he has since received them). Second, the price compared to the 6xx snagged me (I'm always looking for ways to artificially feel like I'm getting a good deal). Thirdly, and mainly, I got swept up in the mighty wave of a self-generated hype train. I've been on something of a indie kick in my life. While "indie" is certainly the last label to apply to Sennheiser, the romantic mystery of an unreleased headphone with the legacy of a champion captured my fancy and I jumped in a day later. I tried to forget about it as long as I could but now that we're ~1 month from the advertised shipping date, it's been harder to keep from looking for updates. It seems that there have been some interesting developments since first drop. I'm wondering if I dare read the reviews (when NDA is released) of the production models lest my anticipation become uncontrollable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back