Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
May 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #406 of 4,845
In any case, all of this is great news for the HD58X purchasers. Far better than I had anticipated. Even if the FR is “only” similar to the HD650 (bass) or to the HD660S (cleaner bass but smoother higher mids), that’s better than what I expected for a 149$ headphone.

I agree!

May 11, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #407 of 4,845
I find it interesting that they didn't come outright and deny anything. "Not sure at a glance..." implies it to be wrong, but leaves enough of a gap that it could be correct.

I would be more inclined to believe the reason they had the graph originally taken down is because it wasn't done by themselves or someone they allowed to take the measurements as opposed to it being a falsified graph (but, like the Sennheiser rep said, different tests will render different outcomes).

May 11, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #408 of 4,845
I'm fine with the 58X if it only ends up being around 6XX level of low end, the 6XX sounds great on my setup, low end doesn't need any EQ whatsoever. As long as it has the more 660S like characteristic to go along with it and differentiate it from the 6XX I'll be happy...that's the reason I chose to go with the 58X over the 6XX, the upper frequency qualities.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #409 of 4,845
This headphone may turnout to be the best value in Senn entire lineup.

May 11, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #410 of 4,845
I find it interesting that they didn't come outright and deny anything. "Not sure at a glance..." implies it to be wrong, but leaves enough of a gap that it could be correct.

I would be more inclined to believe the reason they had the graph originally taken down is because it wasn't done by themselves or someone they allowed to take the measurements as opposed to it being a falsified graph (but, like the Sennheiser rep said, different tests will render different outcomes).

I think your read on that is spot on, I noticed the careful wording, too. :)

May 11, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #411 of 4,845

Pehaps their saying “that sure looks like a nice FR” seems like a sly way to say it is probably not too far off? :)

May 11, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #412 of 4,845
I don't know enough about this graph reading either way, so it is just lines jumping around to me, but with as excited as everyone else is about it then I'm glad I got in on one of the first drops.

May 11, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #414 of 4,845
I really wonder what was the reason for the takedown though. Perhaps they found out that it differed too much from what Sennheiser themselves measured?

In other industries it works like this - manufacturer of part does all their testing then distributes out to companies it approves to do their own testing (and makes sure they approve of their testing methods). Then there is an agreed upon date in which the information can be released and if it comes out before that the company who does the reveal may never be included in that first run again.

I'm willing to bet that since this person had them already, they were an approved tester; however, they disregarded the release date Sennheiser put out (so they can control PR better). It doesn't matter how good or bad the testing goes, Sennheiser wants the control of how the information gets out to drive their sales.

This, of course, works both ways. Sometimes that pre-release information is planned and used to generate more buzz, but it all has to be planned efficiently either way. This looks like a simple case of it not being the right time for PR.

May 12, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #415 of 4,845
I think that graph may not be accurate since Sennheiser declared that bass levels on production 58X are HD 650/6XX, and that graph seems to imply more than that:

Hello everybody who might be curious, a little update... the finalized tuning of the HD 58X Jubilee is coming out great, with bass levels like the HD 650 (and HD 6XX).
Thanks to the whole community for all your encouragement and shared excitement, we’re proud to bring this great value to you soon!”

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones/talk/2071774
Even if the graph shows more, the difference is not that big. However, when they put it like that it's supposedly higher than HD 660 S since they compared to HD 650. So, it looks like the graph is more or less accurate. In any case the low end is much improved over the pre-production unit.

May 12, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #416 of 4,845
In other industries it works like this - manufacturer of part does all their testing then distributes out to companies it approves to do their own testing (and makes sure they approve of their testing methods). Then there is an agreed upon date in which the information can be released and if it comes out before that the company who does the reveal may never be included in that first run again.

I'm willing to bet that since this person had them already, they were an approved tester; however, they disregarded the release date Sennheiser put out (so they can control PR better). It doesn't matter how good or bad the testing goes, Sennheiser wants the control of how the information gets out to drive their sales.

This, of course, works both ways. Sometimes that pre-release information is planned and used to generate more buzz, but it all has to be planned efficiently either way. This looks like a simple case of it not being the right time for PR.
What you said makes total sense to me. I'm hyped af after seeing those graphs, but then I realized I will only receive the HD58x in 2 months...

May 12, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #417 of 4,845
I wouldn't be surprised if they would now up the price for next drops. Now that the tuning is final and all...

May 12, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #418 of 4,845
Two takeaways for me. One, the similarity of the response to the prototype below 150 hz, the slope is just reduced. It's not an artist rendering. While position can affect the sound a bit, the person who put it on the dummy and got that result wasn't likely drunk or a toddler. They knew how to use the gear. Unlike closed cans, open don't, from what I am lead to believe, have their bass response vary much from how they sit. Move them forward a 1/2 inch or back, as long as they are fully over the ear, the sound will be similar. Do that with close cans, if the seal is slightly compromised, they lose bass. These have velour pads, so they're already losing bass through those, like they do the open backs. Second, to say they have "HD650/HD6XX" response in the lows. Compare the graphs I posted again. The bass is very similar, but clearly, more on the HD5XX. Not a lot more, to a casual listener, it'll be called "the same". To discerning ears or engineers, that 2-3 more at 20 hz is enough to be appreciated.

May 12, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #419 of 4,845
After spending some time with the HD660S, I find the treble pretty smooth, and I can't detect annoying shrill or peaks, or even any brightness, but doesn't sound dark. I only wish it sounded more dynamic, had more bass impact and extension. If HD58X sounds close to the HD660S with more bass extension, definitely will be a great value. HD6XX was a good valued headphone, so Massdrop can do it again. I've been enjoying another of their offering the TH-X00 Ebony, and Massdrop seems to do a good job in getting headphones tuned to people's liking. Most importantly, tuned well with more value in price.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #420 of 4,845
I wouldn't be surprised if they would now up the price for next drops. Now that the tuning is final and all...
They did try to do it with the HD6XX (we waited like half a year for the second drop) only to reduce the price a few weeks later. I don’t think they will repeat the same mistakr with this one

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back