Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Oct 29, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #406 of 463
I don't think these are for me. I have tried them with all of my amps and some EQ.

They have a wider sound, including bass, to me.
However I prefer the clarity and the sharpness of the Sundara's. Which is weird because I never would have labeled them especially clear or sharp. If anything I just always thought of the Sundara's as smooth headphones.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #407 of 463
I don't think these are for me. I have tried them with all of my amps and some EQ.

They have a wider sound, including bass, to me.
However I prefer the clarity and the sharpness of the Sundara's. Which is weird because I never would have labeled them especially clear or sharp. If anything I just always thought of the Sundara's as smooth headphones.

That just means you have to join the HE-5XX drop, then. :wink:. DMS said he liked the HE-5XX more than the Edition XX, which he gave a very lukewarm review as I recall.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #408 of 463
That just means you have to join the HE-5XX drop, then. :wink:. DMS said he liked the HE-5XX more than the Edition XX, which he gave a very lukewarm review as I recall.

I don't think I will be trying them out. I am curious about the EMU-Teaks though... :ksc75smile:

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #410 of 463
Nov 17, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #412 of 463
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #413 of 463
Well, I still have these headphones around. They are a tough sell. I have never seen a headphone that attracts so many low-ballers and cheapskates.

While going through my headphones today with yet another low-ball offer, I was reminded about a small problem: On my right headphone there was always a small part of the leatherette that comes loose and you have to tuck it up under the foam. I started playing and realized that all of the material is actually loose.
My wife figures she can fix it, but I figure I need a new pad. And it appears that it must be a HiFiman pad.

I had also thought when I first got them that they could use the Dekoni nuggets since those cups are HUGE. Since they are back on Drop, I think I will pick them up.

A work in progress...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #414 of 463
had also thought when I first got them that they could use the Dekoni bullets since those cups are HUGE. Since they are back on Drop, I think I will pick them up.

If you mean the Dekoni Nuggets, yes, I think they would benefit from them -- my Edition XX really are too big for me but I've not put the Nuggets on them yet even though the Nuggets did make the Brainwavz Alara wearable for my small head -- I'm just not a fan of how they make them look which is I've been reluctant to add them to my Edition XX.

I'm sorry to hear they didn't work out for you and I'm surprised you're being low balled so far. I paid $500 for mine brand new on Drop last year when they were on sale, I would think used they would for $450ish? The regular Drop price on them was $600 if I remember correctly?

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #415 of 463
If you mean the Dekoni Nuggets, yes, I think they would benefit from them -- my Edition XX really are too big for me but I've not put the Nuggets on them yet even though the Nuggets did make the Brainwavz Alara wearable for my small head -- I'm just not a fan of how they make them look which is I've been reluctant to add them to my Edition XX.

I'm sorry to hear they didn't work out for you and I'm surprised you're being low balled so far. I paid $500 for mine brand new on Drop last year when they were on sale, I would think used they would for $450ish? The regular Drop price on them was $600 if I remember correctly?

Nuggets makes more sense! :ksc75smile:

I am in Canada. Retail was $900.00 at Amazon.ca this summer, plus 15% sales tax.
$500.00US would end up at about $800.00ish in Canuck bucks, landed.

I was asking $495.00 and then $475.00. The offers have been $375.00 to $400.00 and they wanted free shipping.

I didn't hate these, but I preferred the clarity of the Sundara's. I received and LOVE my LCD-2 Classic's and I think I will keep these two sets and move the Sundara's on. Two pairs of planars is good for me.

To enjoy these I had to put a towel ony head to pull the cups up. If my wife can fix the pad and I get the nuggets, it should be a nice part of the collection.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #416 of 463
Nuggets makes more sense! :ksc75smile:

I am in Canada. Retail was $900.00 at Amazon.ca this summer, plus 15% sales tax.
$500.00US would end up at about $800.00ish in Canuck bucks, landed.

I was asking $495.00 and then $475.00. The offers have been $375.00 to $400.00 and they wanted free shipping.

I didn't hate these, but I preferred the clarity of the Sundara's. I received and LOVE my LCD-2 Classic's and I think I will keep these two sets and move the Sundara's on. Two pairs of planars is good for me.

To enjoy these I had to put a towel ony head to pull the cups up. If my wife can fix the pad and I get the nuggets, it should be a nice part of the collection.
Oh, that’s right, you got those LCD-2 Classics during the Audeze Black Friday sale, right? I’ve actually never heard a pair of those so I’m jelly! 😅

Yeah, if you can’t get enough for the Edition XX, you probably are better off keeping them and just making them fit. For now I wear them a little loosey goosey but I’ve been thinking about adding a headband padding maybe from another headphone style (HD 650 maybe?) to make them fit better without the less stylish Nuggets that I have on my Alara.

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #417 of 463
Yes, lots of low ballers these days on CAM. Sadly as more and more models come onto the market driving the perception that things are always getting better (sometimes they are) I think it starts to put some downward pressure on prices for anything used unless it is really in high demand.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #418 of 463
Yes, lots of low ballers these days on CAM. Sadly as more and more models come onto the market driving the perception that things are always getting better (sometimes they are) I think it starts to put some downward pressure on prices for anything used unless it is really in high demand.

It is weird. I sold other sets recently that didn't get this kind of low balling. Maybe it's a sign to give them another chance. :smile:

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #419 of 463
Oh, that’s right, you got those LCD-2 Classics during the Audeze Black Friday sale, right? I’ve actually never heard a pair of those so I’m jelly! 😅

Yeah, if you can’t get enough for the Edition XX, you probably are better off keeping them and just making them fit. For now I wear them a little loosey goosey but I’ve been thinking about adding a headband padding maybe from another headphone style (HD 650 maybe?) to make them fit better without the less stylish Nuggets that I have on my Alara.

Yeah, I emailed them on a Saturday and said "If you aren't going to ship on Monday/Tuesday, just cancel the order".
Last Monday I got notice they were shipping and I got them Thursday. Awesome sound!

I think I will buy the Nuggets and maybe even the pads. Just go all in.:ksc75smile:

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #420 of 463
As an update, I ended up buying new pads and just got them the other day.
I ordered Dekoni Nuggets, but the Drop was cancelled. There is another Drop and I ordered them again. :grin:

So with the new pads, I went back to my towel on the head method to raise the headphone strap.

They sound very wide and very deep. I thought the mids were recessed, but it just turns out that I have to play them at a higher volume than I do with others.
I do like them with Loki in the chain, but I need Lots more testing.

It will be an interesting three-way comparison and I honestly have no idea what I will keep.

I ordered a Bifrost 2 that I hope will be shipping this week. Once that arrives I will begin detailed testing on all the headphones with different amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back