Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #391 of 463
For Lunashops,
I noticed some Lunashops.com cables mentioned "This cable With high resolution sound and excellent durability, long-term use will not cause discoloration, hardening and peeling problems,Better sound than normal cable. Comfort and flexibility is also unmatched." Even some of them come with a transparent wrap/coat/skin.

I sent an email about the comparing of Hi-Res and PCOCC cables to the Lunashops but got no response.

After I made an order for a PCOCC cable half a month ago, I realized I need to wait at least 5-6 weeks for it. So I ordered an OFC cable on amazon(not the silver-plated one) and now the burn-in is almost finished and I realized I am enjoying the music and the performances of the singers, not complaining the lacking performance with edition xx' stock cable than the K702(with K702's stock cable) in mind. Of cause, the K70x seires' stock cables (4N OFC) are complained a lot.

By the way, with the ofc cable, the bass of edition xx is just a little bit heavier than K702.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #392 of 463
For Lunashops,
I noticed some Lunashops.com cables mentioned "This cable With high resolution sound and excellent durability, long-term use will not cause discoloration, hardening and peeling problems,Better sound than normal cable. Comfort and flexibility is also unmatched." Even some of them come with a transparent wrap/coat/skin.

I sent an email about the comparing of Hi-Res and PCOCC cables to the Lunashops but got no response.

After I made an order for a PCOCC cable half a month ago, I realized I need to wait at least 5-6 weeks for it. So I ordered an OFC cable on amazon(not the silver-plated one) and now the burn-in is almost finished and I realized I am enjoying the music and the performances of the singers, not complaining the lacking performance with edition xx' stock cable than the K702(with K702's stock cable) in mind. Of cause, the K70x seires' stock cables (4N OFC) are complained a lot.

By the way, with the ofc cable, the bass of edition xx is just a little bit heavier than K702.

I have to agree, that the stock cable is performance wise absolutely fine. I compared it to a high quality OCC copper/silver cable from Forza Audio and wasn't able to tell a difference.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #393 of 463
I have just joined the club. Bought a set of used ones last night.
20201013_184549.jpg20201013_184622.jpg

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #395 of 463
What are your impressions so far? How is the comfort, ear pads/headband?

I just bought them last night and they will be shipped today. Expected arrival date is Oct. 28th.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #396 of 463
Received these late today. First off they are HUGE! At the shortest setting they cover my ears and more.

All I can say so far is that I agree about them being slower. Sounded great with Meg Myers, Bishop Briggs, Roxy Music, John Lennon and The Blue Stones. With the Deftones and Seether it ranges from great to “congested”, when the music gets really hard. Right now they are ROCKING with Larkin Poe.

This is from a desktop system consisting of computer to Topping D30 to Liquid Spark to Edition XX’s.

I am very anxious to try these out in my listening system tomorrow.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #397 of 463
Received these late today. First off they are HUGE! At the shortest setting they cover my ears and more.

All I can say so far is that I agree about them being slower. Sounded great with Meg Myers, Bishop Briggs, Roxy Music, John Lennon and The Blue Stones. With the Deftones and Seether it ranges from great to “congested”, when the music gets really hard. Right now they are ROCKING with Larkin Poe.

This is from a desktop system consisting of computer to Topping D30 to Liquid Spark to Edition XX’s.

I am very anxious to try these out in my listening system tomorrow.
They will respond to EQ pretty good.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #398 of 463
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #399 of 463
I put these into my listening system today. I was initially underwhelmed by the sound as I usually am when changing over from a favourite set-up.

I was running DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) to DAC (SMSL SU-8) to EQ (Schiit Loki) to Amp (Violectric V220) via SE to my headphones.
The music sounded okay, but not really clear. There was no separation of instruments and it seemed to have a veil in front of the sound. Not what I expected.

Then I went to my other favourite amp, the Liquid Platinum. Wow, did they ever open up with this amp, via balanced output. Like my Sundara’s and Elex’s, the LP really brings out the best of them.

I will continue with this set-up tomorrow and then start doing comparisons against my other 'phones.

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #400 of 463
Another day with my XX's. Finding new things all the time.
If the music is not super clean, it can sound congested. In other cases, the vocals can sound a little grainy.
I switched back to Florence and the Machine and everything seems OK.

Chain for today is DAP to DAC to Loki to Liquid Platinum to the XX's.

I have noticed on at least 2 songs that the mids (vocals) are recessed. This surprised me and so I dug out my Sundara's to compare and sure enough it was only on the XX's. But only on a few songs. Weird.

I also wondered about fitment. On the shortest setting, they still go to the bottom of my ear and beyond. I grabbed a small towel and folded it over multiple times and put it between the strap and my head (pic attached). I did seem to get a bit more clarity. Maybe lined up to the ears better?

My overall impression so far is a lack of clarity. Need to do lots more listening, but I find hard rock congested and certain music (like Marcus King Band) a little grainy.

They are not bad at all and I know that sound is different for everybody. Right now I would have to say that these don't come close to my Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's or Senn HD660's.

It will be interesting to go head to head with the Sundara's and these.20201023_184848~2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #401 of 463
I put these into my listening system today. I was initially underwhelmed by the sound as I usually am when changing over from a favourite set-up.

I was running DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) to DAC (SMSL SU-8) to EQ (Schiit Loki) to Amp (Violectric V220) via SE to my headphones.
The music sounded okay, but not really clear. There was no separation of instruments and it seemed to have a veil in front of the sound. Not what I expected.

Then I went to my other favourite amp, the Liquid Platinum. Wow, did they ever open up with this amp, via balanced output. Like my Sundara’s and Elex’s, the LP really brings out the best of them.

I will continue with this set-up tomorrow and then start doing comparisons against my other 'phones.

Every HFM I know above the 4** class does better or much better on balanced over SE. Try some temp measure to get the center of the phone pointed straight into your ear canal. Use a small washcloth folded 2 or 3 times, whatever you have. The treble and technicals become more clear but it won't get hard on you. I use nuggets and its a big step up for the HEX v2.

!!! Dur I didn't read your post, so consider this (hand towel) amplification of what you tried.

They are recessed in the mids and upper mids which robs them of dynamics. Only cure is an EQ - pref a digital parametric.

Need a boost at 32 Hz, 1945 Hz, 4500 Hz, 7500 Hz, 11.5k

Need a cut at: 1020, 3250, 6200, 7000, 9600

If you compare a FR map of the HEX v2 to the XX it might give you and idea of where the changes should be.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #402 of 463
Every HFM I know above the 4** class does better or much better on balanced over SE. Try some temp measure to get the center of the phone pointed straight into your ear canal. Use a small washcloth folded 2 or 3 times, whatever you have. The treble and technicals become more clear but it won't get hard on you. I use nuggets and its a big step up for the HEX v2.

!!! Dur I didn't read your post, so consider this (hand towel) amplification of what you tried.

They are recessed in the mids and upper mids which robs them of dynamics. Only cure is an EQ - pref a digital parametric.

Need a boost at 32 Hz, 1945 Hz, 4500 Hz, 7500 Hz, 11.5k

Need a cut at: 1020, 3250, 6200, 7000, 9600

If you compare a FR map of the HEX v2 to the XX it might give you and idea of where the changes should be.

I am using a Schiit Loki for EQ. I added some bass which works well. I added some mids and it seems fine. Except for a Big Wreck song and all of the Rod Stewart stuff.
I have heard the term "recessed mids" thrown around a lot, but I have never heard an example as blatant as this. I will keep going, but I have to admit that vocals are The biggest thing to me.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #403 of 463
Mids are a little recessed. You can bump mids in the 2-3K by 3dBs. Air and "clarity" can be added with a 4-6dB boost in the top end. Generally, when you want to relax XX is what I listen to. I get lost in the venue and the headphones just seem to be forgotten about when they're on my head. I have a big fat head....lol.

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #404 of 463
I am using a Schiit Loki for EQ. I added some bass which works well. I added some mids and it seems fine. Except for a Big Wreck song and all of the Rod Stewart stuff.
I have heard the term "recessed mids" thrown around a lot, but I have never heard an example as blatant as this. I will keep going, but I have to admit that vocals are The biggest thing to me.

Loki is a fixed 4 band, designed not to put too much of an imprint on the music. I love Schiit - but I don't understand this product. You can barely cover the XX or HEX v2 with a 6 band with full adjustments of frequency and size of the effect. I have a 6 and 10 band available for the HEX v2, and the 6 simply isn't enough.

The other thing is its tough to use pop/rock as a baseline sonically. I use stuff like "Cafe Blue" by Patricia Barber, Norah Jones "Come Away With Me", Diana Krall, "Crime of the Century" by Supertramp, enhanced CD Beatles "Rubber Soul", Yes - Wilson mastered "Fragile", Steve Wonder last 3 songs on "Talking Book", Joe Jackson "Night and Day", Joni "Court and Spark", Stanley Clark 1, Steely Dan "Aja" -- yeah old man stuff, but its clean.

The XX cannot be made to sound as good as the HEX v2, but, it can be made to sound good. If you are getting your music via streaming, digital parametrics easy to get cheap.

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #405 of 463
Loki is a fixed 4 band, designed not to put too much of an imprint on the music. I love Schiit - but I don't understand this product. You can barely cover the XX or HEX v2 with a 6 band with full adjustments of frequency and size of the effect. I have a 6 and 10 band available for the HEX v2, and the 6 simply isn't enough.

The other thing is its tough to use pop/rock as a baseline sonically. I use stuff like "Cafe Blue" by Patricia Barber, Norah Jones "Come Away With Me", Diana Krall, "Crime of the Century" by Supertramp, enhanced CD Beatles "Rubber Soul", Yes - Wilson mastered "Fragile", Steve Wonder last 3 songs on "Talking Book", Joe Jackson "Night and Day", Joni "Court and Spark", Stanley Clark 1, Steely Dan "Aja" -- yeah old man stuff, but its clean.

The XX cannot be made to sound as good as the HEX v2, but, it can be made to sound good. If you are getting your music via streaming, digital parametrics easy to get cheap.

Most of my listening is done by the lazy boy and not the computer. My source is my DAP with about 6,600 tracks.

My baselines would be Steely Dan, Florence and the Machine along with some rock by say Seether and Deftones. I also like horn jazz (Miles Davis/Trombone Shorty) and some blues.

I normally spend my first days with a headphone A) picking the best amp, B) listening to my favourite artists and C) listening to my favourite playlists and see how different songs sound on them.
Lastly is a possible tweak via the Loki. Four bands are more than enough for me. Normally I am just adding bass or cutting off treble or giving something a touch of mids. If that is not enough, I bought the wrong 'phones. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back