Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Apr 25, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #436 of 463
Edition xx needs much less power than other hifiman headphones(spec sheet): 20 ohm, estimated 1 watt and estimated max 0.25A. So the regular headphone jacks of ipads and computers will drive it well. I think we need to find amps which are capable to drive IEMs to drive it.

The HE6SE v2 on adorama.com had reached as low as $649 around the black friday to Feb. But HE6 series are very hard to be driven that it needs a high current and at least 2 watts of power. (The audio-gd all-in-ones and amps can do so as I know. Little dots mk6, too.)

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #437 of 463
Hifiman got back to me and told me that they don't have replacement XXs and so they can't fix it. They offered to let me send the XX in and upgrade to another Hifiman headphone for a fee.

I think anything below an Arya would be a step down, and even if they gave me full msrp for the XX toward the upgrade (probably not), I don't think it would be worth a grand. The HE6 is the main hifiman I'd be interested in hearing, and I imagine it might be worth the $650 it was going for a couple months ago the msrp is crazy high.

So IDK I guess I'll try to fix the XXs even though I have no experience working on headphones. If I buy another headphone soon I might go with a Quad Era-1.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #438 of 463
The Ananda is not a step down. I'd def go for those if they were gonna give it to you.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #439 of 463
The Ananda is not a step down. I'd def go for those if they were gonna give it to you.
Good to know. The impression I got from reviews was that it was pretty similar to the HEXX/HEXV2. But for the money it would cost to upgrade to the Ananda I could almost buy a LCD2c or Era-1 or a used pair of Stax. I also need to buy a new a AV receiver as I blew a bunch on money on my home theater this month.

I'm sure the Ananda sound as good or slightly better but it would cost the HEXX plus another $500 at best. I was sort of hoping I could pay them $60 or something to replace the wire.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #440 of 463
Good to know. The impression I got from reviews was that it was pretty similar to the HEXX/HEXV2. But for the money it would cost to upgrade to the Ananda I could almost buy a LCD2c or Era-1 or a used pair of Stax. I also need to buy a new a AV receiver as I blew a bunch on money on my home theater this month.

I'm sure the Ananda sound as good or slightly better but it would cost the HEXX plus another $500 at best. I was sort of hoping I could pay them $60 or something to replace the wire.
How much would they give you for your XX? Ananda is $699 brand new direct from their online store and they also sell open box Ananda and those are $599.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #441 of 463
Opinions differ HEX > Ananda in my book. Both HE-6 se (v1 & v2) are > HEX, and a properly modified HE-500 is better. All other HFM from 400-> Sundara and Ananda not as good.

I'm putting my HEX's up for sale shortly (going for a SoTA).

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #442 of 463
I simply said the Anandas was not a step down to the Edition XX. I never once mentioned the HEX.

I had the XX and Ananda on hand at the same time, and found them both to be fantastic, with the Ananda sounding a bit cleaner and more detailed, while the XX sounded more musical and less analytical. Both are headphones I enjoyed immensely.

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #443 of 463
I put these back on last week and cycled through my amps. The LD MKIII didn't really sound quite right with them. The Liquid Platinum and the Violectric V220 sound good, but the big winner is, again, the iFi Pro iCAN with full on 3D sound and a bit of bass boost. And iCAN has Tons of power.

I don't think I will ever get full enjoyment out of these as I am just not a loud listener. The odd time I hear a certain song and I crank it louder than my normal (less than 70Db's) volume and it sounds SO good! :L3000:

Aug 9, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #445 of 463
Grrrrr... you're forcing me to buy this :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ... but not now, but now you've put the dang idea in my head for a later time to come.:beerchug:
It is Amazing! It has really grown on me. At first I was like "It's a bit better than the LP and the Vio". But after three months it is really blowing me away with it can do.
It transforms the M1570's and does the same trick with T60 Argons (especially the bass boost).
It opens up the T5's nicely and the bass boost is great with the Grado's. And it has Big power for the DT880's.

I know I say this too often, but this is a keeper. :ksc75smile:

Still feeling pretty good about the new headphones?

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #446 of 463
It is Amazing! It has really grown on me. At first I was like "It's a bit better than the LP and the Vio". But after three months it is really blowing me away with it can do.
It transforms the M1570's and does the same trick with T60 Argons (especially the bass boost).
It opens up the T5's nicely and the bass boost is great with the Grado's. And it has Big power for the DT880's.

I know I say this too often, but this is a keeper. :ksc75smile:

Still feeling pretty good about the new headphones?

To circle back to the Edition XX, I actually have pulled it out recently to test how it would work on the iFi xCan and I was surprised it sounded "competent" out of that little booger.

But on the iCAN Pro, yeah, I think it's time for me to stop spending so much on headphones and up my amp game. :sweat_smile:

Re: the new 'phones, I am guessing you mean the SIVGA SV021 -- I actually listened to them for a few hours the other night casually as I was multitasking in bed, and the best compliment I can give them I think is that I really enjoyed them as very comfortable, pleasant listening cans while relaxing. They really are quite good for the price to my ears and I love how light and comfy they are.

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #447 of 463
So, where would you rank your XX's in your collection?

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #448 of 463
So, where would you rank your XX's in your collection?

Oh my.... well, I really don't have a hard ranking, but it's behind Ananda, HE-6se v2, LCD-2 Closed, Elex, ESP/95X, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others, lol... but it's still a solid headphone that at this point I have no intention of selling. I love the egg shape, I love the big sound -- and I have multiple "listening posts" that I regularly travel to (two offices, my home, my mother's where I have a setup now as I am there about 1/4th of the entire year), so I like having a large selection as I can leave some at different locations.

I leave my ESP/95X at the cleanest office underneath a Stax (hah!) dust cover. I will never bring that to my new apartment as it still a little too dang dusty here, lol.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #449 of 463
Having sold off my Edition X V2 I still regret that sale. I had to do it to for a large purchase that I needed money for, but I really miss those headphones. They were so yummy to listen to. The imaging and separation were fantastic and the sound was effortless. Very enjoyable headphone.

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #450 of 463
I have a pair of these in the classifieds and seeing this thread died off I figuered I'd pop in with my thoughts on these XX's because it seems like people are avoiding them based on some rough reviews. I think there is a possibility that this model has a lot of unit variance. I haven't personally heard them in the 'bad' variant but I can assume based on what I've heard and read about these that the reviews are not lining up with what I'm hearing in my two pairs. (example is the soundstage is much wider than edition x (v1 and v2). Its possible its a synergy with my amps I suppose though.

Here are some of my impressions of this headphone compared to the other hifiman eggs. I have two of these XX as I liked them enough to have a backup in case of driver failure as they are the cheapest eggs you can buy. So I went on a crazy buying spree to pickup all the egg hifimans to figure out my preference after hearing the deva and deciding I wanted to try their giant teardrop shape as I love the airyness of the deva. Boy do all the eggs up the ante with airyness and soundstage depth. So I read all over and heard on youtube reviews that these have a smaller soundstage, more intimate experience compared to the rest of the more expensive siblings. I have a pair of edition x v1 and v2 and both of them are more intimate and tight sounding. They both sound like you are listening with headphones but with more airyness than most still, but its obvious you have headphones on. The XX on the other hand are very similar to the he1000v1 in terms of its like you are in a small car with surround sound, as if you are in a small room with speakers vs strapped to your head. Its not exactly the same but you get what I'm saying hopefully. I have a pair of he1000v1 and its the airiest pair of headphones I've ever heard (the only things that probably beat it are probably something that is fully open air like the mysphere - I have never heard them but you can imagine that is the case based on their design).

So I love my edition x's both models, but if I A B them to these XX, the XX is just better across the board for me. The X/v1v2 are a bit more anemic sounding to me, I have a feeling its because of the difference is the driver design, where they are single sided magnet array >(pointed out to me that they (xv1/v2) are double sided) and these XX are double sided. The XX has wider magnets on the ear side, maybe it moves the diaphram easier or something. On the XX the Bass goes deeper, treble is very similar slightly rolled off where I personally feel if it wasn't it would be into too much of a clinical / fatiguing signature, sibilance is there but only for bad recordings with shoutiness (possibly someone too close to mic type thing). The same sibilance can be heard with a pair of Sennheiser HD650's which I've kept as my only dynamic headphone since I've adventured into planars. I have heard a lot of sibilant planars, so popping on the hd650's when there is sibilance it alines with being in the recording rather than a boost for the headphones hardware. So anyway, I have two pairs of these, and I no longer am worried about broken drivers, I figure if that ever happens, at this price, I can just pick up another off ebay, there are 3 on there right now with one side broken and I'd only need one since only one side would break if it ever happens. Having said that, at 399, the amount of headphone you get is staggering. I prefer these to Audeze LCD X, GX, Hifiman Edition X (v1 and v2),Ananda, 400i, Deva, Drop Panda, even Abyss Diana (v1). The only egg i've liked better are my pair of HE1000v1. I have not tried HEKv2 or se though. Some people are going to think I'm crazy, but I prefer them to the Aryas as well. I don't really understand why so many people love them. I think a lot of people chase 'perfection' to a level that it just becomes silly, and too clinical, to the point that they lose focus on the fact that listening to music is enjoyable entertainment and not some weird clinical logical testing experience. Having said all that, everyone is different and has different preferences for audio. I want to get lost in the music and these do exactly that. I really love them.

Part of the reason I was looking into the X's (v1,v2,xx) is they are higher sensitivity so I could wire them up wireless with my Qudelix 5k bluetooth. Arya/he1000 etc need too much power to be properly driven by the little unit but all the x's work great and sound great. I mean my liquid platinum sounds better but come on.

The only other thing I'll say is I like the headband a lot on the HE1000's, its the most comfortable headband I've ever had on my head. I have the XX's headband at the lowest setting and slightly angled so its a tiny bit higher on my head, but at that position its great, wish it had a tiny bit of tilt though. I ordered a pair of aliexpress earpads that I hope will be slightly less dense. We'll see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back