Massdrop x Grace Design SDAC - a budget beast
Oct 11, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #121 of 180
Have you tried contacting Massdrop support for repair options? It would be terrible if all the Massdrop made hardware were unrepairable.

I feel like Massdrop's strategy is to replace (within warranty) rather than repair. They just order some extra number of units to cover anticipated failure rate. Hence the periodic sales they have where they sell off remaining stock from old drops that are out of the warranty period.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #122 of 180
I feel like Massdrop's strategy is to replace (within warranty) rather than repair. They just order some extra number of units to cover anticipated failure rate. Hence the periodic sales they have where they sell off remaining stock from old drops that are out of the warranty period.
For out of the box defects seems logical to have replacements. But to me it doesn’t seem right to end up with a nice paper weight once the warranty expires and you have a problem.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #123 of 180
For out of the box defects seems logical to have replacements. But to me it doesn’t seem right to end up with a nice paper weight once the warranty expires and you have a problem.

I mean, I think it's part of the reason (some) Massdrop stuff costs less than an equivalent product from a traditional manufacturer. Maintaining, or paying someone else to maintain, facilities, staff, and parts inventory to service those devices, costs money. In thie case of the standalone SDAC, it's easy to see the device as basically consumable, based on its low cost. For the CTH or the LCX, that logic doesn't hold up quite as well, I'd agree.

But maybe Massdrop at least has some shop they refer people to when they get repair inquiries? That would seem straightforward.

Avenson Audio does repairs on Cavalli stuff according to the Cavalli closure announcement -- but I don't know if they would work on the CTH+SDAC.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #124 of 180
I should have mentioned this was a second-hand purchase, so I doubt Massdrop will support it. That would be fantastic, though.

In any case, it looks like it's just four pins that connect the SDAC to the CTH. That and three screws. It wouldn't take me long at all to swap out, I just need to know if the standalone SDAC has room for those pins on the PCB.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #125 of 180
I should have mentioned this was a second-hand purchase, so I doubt Massdrop will support it. That would be fantastic, though.

In any case, it looks like it's just four pins that connect the SDAC to the CTH. That and three screws. It wouldn't take me long at all to swap out, I just need to know if the standalone SDAC has room for those pins on the PCB.
Hi ohcrapgorillas,
Sorry to hear your SDAC has an issue. There are different board sizes for the internal module vs. the standalone unit due to inputs/outputs and form factor.
Contacting you via PM with a couple of possibilities.

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #127 of 180
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #128 of 180
Don't rejoice for me just yet... the original eBay seller isn't responding to messages. Meanwhile, I have been dragging my AMB y2 from home to office. Today, I forgot RCA cables, so I'm listening on my backup-backup, Chord Mojo. Thank god, too. Literally have construction workers banging away on one side of my office and a classroom where everyone is talking all at once on the other, some kind of group project or something. At least that's still better than the lecturer who USES A MICROPHONE AND CONSTANTLY YELLS AS THOUGH THE CLASSROOM ISN'T 10 X 10 FT AND AS THOUGH NO ONE COULD EVER HEAR HER IF SHE JUST SPOKE AT A NORMAL VOLUME.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #129 of 180
I snagged the SDAC with about 20 minutes left in the drop. Currently I'm using a ZuperDAC off of my laptop to various portable amps (C&C BH, Cayin C5, Fiio E12). I've always intended to upgrade to a better dac and amps, but I guess I'm easy to please and slow to move (and I'm cheap lol).

Anyway, it was time for a move and I think the SDAC will be a positive one for me. I had also been considering the Sabaj DA3 and the Topping D10, but I got impatient and figured I can't really go wrong with the SDAC based on everything I've read.

For the time being I will continue using it with my portable amps, but I'm going to start looking into dedicated amps such as the O2.

Happy to join the club!

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #130 of 180
I snagged the SDAC with about 20 minutes left in the drop. Currently I'm using a ZuperDAC off of my laptop to various portable amps (C&C BH, Cayin C5, Fiio E12). I've always intended to upgrade to a better dac and amps, but I guess I'm easy to please and slow to move (and I'm cheap lol).

Anyway, it was time for a move and I think the SDAC will be a positive one for me. I had also been considering the Sabaj DA3 and the Topping D10, but I got impatient and figured I can't really go wrong with the SDAC based on everything I've read.

For the time being I will continue using it with my portable amps, but I'm going to start looking into dedicated amps such as the O2.

Happy to join the club!
You did well on choosing the SDAC :)

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #131 of 180
You did well on choosing the SDAC :)

It's been a few days. I got dinged $23 CAD for taxes and handling, but that doesn't change the fact that I am extremely happy with the SDAC. As I mentioned to a friend, I'm hearing details, layering and imaging that I haven't heard before. I'm catching myself getting mesmerised by the new nuances I am hearing with music that I am very familiar with. Memorisation is good :)

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #132 of 180
It's been a few days. I got dinged $23 CAD for taxes and handling, but that doesn't change the fact that I am extremely happy with the SDAC. As I mentioned to a friend, I'm hearing details, layering and imaging that I haven't heard before. I'm catching myself getting mesmerised by the new nuances I am hearing with music that I am very familiar with. Memorisation is good :)
Soundstage is wide on this

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #133 of 180
It sounds exactly like a sub 100 dac. Buy the mimby for 120 more and you will be much happier.

I just don't see how that can be true. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/ shows quanitfiably worse measurements in every regard. I'm sure people want to believe that their ears are superior to the lab measuring equipment but it just isn't true. It's your money and you can do what you want, but the pseudo science is getting out of hand.

I don't understand the "sub 100 dac" comment. What specific qualities does a sub $100 dac have vs a dac over $100? When I see graphs showing cleaner FFTs, lower noise floor, better channel imbalance, then I will believe it.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #135 of 180
More money means more quality duh!

Sub-$100 amp for us poor subhumans. (/s)

In all seriousness I'm fairly confident the SDAC is simply transparent,

The SDAC works for this sub-human!

If anyone gets the JDS Atom amp, please report back how it pairs with the SDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back