Massdrop x Grace Design SDAC - a budget beast
Dec 9, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #139 of 180
Been using the Modi 2 Multibit for 2 years now. Think I'm going to pick this up tonight and see how it sounds.

I'm weird with DACs. I've considered spending $100 or $1,000 but nothing in the $500 range is pulling me.

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #140 of 180
Been using the Modi 2 Multibit for 2 years now. Think I'm going to pick this up tonight and see how it sounds.

I'm weird with DACs. I've considered spending $100 or $1,000 but nothing in the $500 range is pulling me.

The SDAC-02 is pretty good. I've compared with the ODAC-2. It's not harsh and soundstage is wide and it's able to extract more details.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #147 of 180

Have you received your sdac yet?

I've been going between my Mimby and Sdac on the CTH and while i think my Mimby could use another 2 weeks of On time before it's at its peak, the Sdac just sounds less congested and vocals have more air and space. Sure the presentation of the Mimby is more forward with bigger bass and closer vocals, but there is no sense of space at all and sounds rather clumsy in comparison. Will likely pick up and Smsl Su8 soon so my Eitr can be put to good use..

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #148 of 180
Have you received your sdac yet?

I've been going between my Mimby and Sdac on the CTH and while i think my Mimby could use another 2 weeks of On time before it's at its peak, the Sdac just sounds less congested and vocals have more air and space. Sure the presentation of the Mimby is more forward with bigger bass and closer vocals, but there is no sense of space at all and sounds rather clumsy in comparison. Will likely pick up and Smsl Su8 soon so my Eitr can be put to good use..

Yes I have posted about it on another section and another audio forum but not much here at headfi. To my ears the SDAC sounds better. More holographic/3d. The fact that it is less then half the price is nice too. I need to box up and sell my Modi Multibit but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #149 of 180
Yes I have posted about it on another section and another audio forum but not much here at headfi. To my ears the SDAC sounds better. More holographic/3d. The fact that it is less then half the price is nice too. I need to box up and sell my Modi Multibit but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.

Thank goodness it's not just me haha. Yes holographic came to mind as well, which was strange because many people on forums claimed to hear the Modi multibit as holographic. Guess that's audiofool semantics though. Thanks for replying, my schiit stack will soon find a new loving home

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #150 of 180
Personally I find the Modi Multibit to be the superior DAC, and I do find it to be more holographic with a better defined sense of space and imaging. I am one of those people who find that R2R/multibit sounds overall more realistic with better weight and body. That said, the SDAC is easily one of the most enjoyable D/S DACs I've ever heard, and is cheap as hell to boot. One of the things that I love about it is that it really does nothing wrong. Maybe it is not the most resolving, or 3D, or refined DAC on the market, but it produces a very full, clear, coherent, and extended sound just like a good DAC should.

What impresses me the most about it is the lack of digital artifacts in the treble with a straight USB connection and USB power. I have a particularly bad case of USB nervosa, based on several years listening to DACs through USB out of laptops with god awful power supplies. Eitr was my first breath of fresh air in terms of real relief from USB crappiness. That said, I previously wrote in this thread that I actually find the Wyrd to inhibit the SDAC with a veil and decreased bass extension. Based on prior experience, I find it hard to accept that a DAC could sound better from mobo USB power versus an independent linear power supply, but the difference was clear enough that it would grab my attention from time to time. I suppose the extra re-clocking the Wyrd does might be causing more harm than its clean power is doing good. Clearly Grace did their homework with the power supply noise rejection and re-clocking.

Now I find myself wondering how I could push the SDAC to its limits--without spending more than the price of the DAC. I recently picked up an Audioquest Cinnamon USB micro cable... retail value is about $20 cheaper than the DAC itself. This is my first foray into audiophile USB cables, I went with the Cinnamon based on a handful of reviews, and I have to say the difference is subtle but definitely present in terms of a bit better imaging/spatial definition and background noise. Nothing major but a nice step in the right direction. I also purchased a $20 USB card for the PC, so the audio chain could go through a separate bus than all the peripherals, but have yet to hook it up. Lastly, I am considering whether some kind of galvanic USB isolator would yield any improvement. There are some on ebay for about $55 shipped from the UK that I'm curious about.

All that is to say, the USB implementation on the SDAC is straight up impressive right out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back