Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Feb 25, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,666 of 2,030
I've led a sheltered and poor life :relaxed:
I'm retired on a limited and fixed income. I only have the Aeolus because that's what I spent my $1200 stimulus check on last spring. And I only waited about seven weeks :wink:

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #1,667 of 2,030
I'm retired on a limited and fixed income. I only have the Aeolus because that's what I spent my $1200 stimulus check on last spring. And I only waited about seven weeks :wink:

Ditto, except I spent mine on a Node2i and a pair of speakers, as I already had 3 pr of 'phones the total cost of which was about $1000. Wasn't intending to criticize your choices, merely to explain why it wasn't mine. Never have felt I could afford to put all my eggs in one $1000 headphone-shaped basket. Hope you enjoy them, as they are undoubtedly beautiful to look at. I have way too little time left to wait seven weeks for anything. Cheers, mate.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,668 of 2,030
My first pair of Elex arrived with the right driver DOA. Drop did a quick replacement (sending the replacement before they received the first pair back) and I've been enjoying them since. They have good extension but the bass sometimes feels a little...................thin? I'm wondering how the LCD-X might compare for slam/dynamics.

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #1,670 of 2,030
My first pair of Elex arrived with the right driver DOA. Drop did a quick replacement (sending the replacement before they received the first pair back) and I've been enjoying them since. They have good extension but the bass sometimes feels a little...................thin? I'm wondering how the LCD-X might compare for slam/dynamics.
I think you will find most assessments of Elex find the bass anything but thin. I find them very punchy and quite tight for a dynamic driver, especially at this price point. @Resolve from The HEADPHONE Show even stated it was "one of the punchiest, most impactful headphones I've ever heard". While the Utopias are my favorite headphone I still enjoy swapping back to the Elex every now and then. They remain my favorite headphone under $1000.

Audezes are known for their thick syrupy bass which has its own appeal. With that said I find the bass of the Elex a bit tighter and punchier than my LCD3 even if it has slightly less quantity overall.

I am curious what your DAC and amp equipment are that are making your Elex sound thin.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #1,672 of 2,030
As the above poster has mentioned, the Elex has punchy and tight bass. It is not a bass monster like the DT177x may be, rather it is more of a reference amount of bass.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #1,673 of 2,030
Hi all, I was hoping someone might be able to help me make a decision on the Elex. Or even provide some advice on what else to look at.

Over the last year I've owned (and sold on) a really large variety of headphones, the entire Sennheiser HD6 range, the Beyer T1.2, T5p.2, DT 1990, Amiron, DT 880, Audioquest Nighthawk, AKG K712, Fidelio X2HR, Hifiman Sundara... the list goes on and on.

I decided to shrink the collection down to just several quality pairs. I already own the Audioquest Nighthawk (OG and Carbon), which I love. Great natural reverb effect, nice bass, they're a keeper. I also recently bought the Drop Dan Clark Aeon Open X, they're also a keeper for me. They replace my Amiron as a great energetic all-rounder. Now this is where I'm stuck. The Aeon actually feels quite closed, more so than the Nighthawk, it's also very energetic. The Nighthawk are semi-open. So now I want something that is complimentary to the other two. Something very open sounding, with decent soundstage and not too much energy. I guess something fairly neutral (but not HD600 neutral, I wasn't a fan).

Do you think the Elex might fit in to this, or would I be better off with the Ananda? Those are my top two picks at the moment. I was tempted by the Clear, but I keep reading that they're very punchy. The Aeon are punchy, I want something less so. The big turn off for me in regards to Focal are the cost of replacement pads.

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,674 of 2,030
I hear you on going through several sets in the past year or two. I Love my Elex's. I find them very "W-shaped". A good amount of highs, very nice mids and more bass than I expected. In short, a great full sound.
It has made me curious to try the Clears eventually, but these work just fine for now.

I just recently sold my Sundara's (kind of boring) and Fostex TH610's (nothing special to me, even with driver mod and Periapt balanced cable). Next out might be the Drop Edition XX's. They are on trial for next few weeks.

My top three headphones are:
Grado GH2's (Amazing mids for guitars and vocals)
CFA Cascades (bass beyond belief and very good mids)
Focal Elex's (probably the best all rounder).

My music is new rock, classic rock, blues and horn jazz.

In the last two years I have burned though Lots of amps and headphones, but I have finally started to find gear that I am VERY happy and content with.

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,675 of 2,030
I hear you on going through several sets in the past year or two. I Love my Elex's. I find them very "W-shaped". A good amount of highs, very nice mids and more bass than I expected. In short, a great full sound.
It has made me curious to try the Clears eventually, but these work just fine for now.

I just recently sold my Sundara's (kind of boring) and Fostex TH610's (nothing special to me, even with driver mod and Periapt balanced cable). Next out might be the Drop Edition XX's. They are on trial for next few weeks.

My top three headphones are:
Grado GH2's (Amazing mids for guitars and vocals)
CFA Cascades (bass beyond belief and very good mids)
Focal Elex's (probably the best all rounder).

My music is new rock, classic rock, blues and horn jazz.

In the last two years I have burned though Lots of amps and headphones, but I have finally started to find gear that I am VERY happy and content with.
I do love a good all-rounder. I might just have to try these.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #1,677 of 2,030
Are these still considered the gateway drug for Focal's reimagined Sennheisers? :D

I've only lived with #3960 for a couple of weeks, but they're definitely a welcome addition to the rotation.

Such a seductively tight and articulate bottom, better if slightly less than my Beyers, and with more clear and forward mids than the Senns.

I find them most similar to HD660s, rather than HD600/650, mostly I think on the basis of dynamics, at which both HD660s and Elex excel.

They were fatiguing just out of the box, but with burn in and pimping, they've become smooth enough to go for hours.

(I put on the fenestrated Dekonis, and a slinky GraveDigger replaced the stiff stock cables.)

Very nice.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,678 of 2,030
Are these still considered the gateway drug for Focal's reimagined Sennheisers? :D

I've only lived with #3960 for a couple of weeks, but they're definitely a welcome addition to the rotation.

Such a seductively tight and articulate bottom, better if slightly less than my Beyers, and with more clear and forward mids than the Senns.

I find them most similar to HD660s, rather than HD600/650, mostly I think on the basis of dynamics, at which both HD660s and Elex excel.

They were fatiguing just out of the box, but with burn in and pimping, they've become smooth enough to go for hours.

(I put on the fenestrated Dekonis, and a slinky GraveDigger replaced the stiff stock cables.)

Very nice.
Fenestrated sheepskin pads?

I used those Dekonis on my Elex too and love it so much.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,680 of 2,030
To me with those pads they give you 90% of the Utopia sound at 1/4 the proce.

Utopia and Elex owner BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back