Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,682 of 2,030
Are these still considered the gateway drug for Focal's reimagined Sennheisers? :D

I've only lived with #3960 for a couple of weeks, but they're definitely a welcome addition to the rotation.

Such a seductively tight and articulate bottom, better if slightly less than my Beyers, and with more clear and forward mids than the Senns.

I find them most similar to HD660s, rather than HD600/650, mostly I think on the basis of dynamics, at which both HD660s and Elex excel.

They were fatiguing just out of the box, but with burn in and pimping, they've become smooth enough to go for hours.

(I put on the fenestrated Dekonis, and a slinky GraveDigger replaced the stiff stock cables.)

Very nice.
What do the fenestrated sheepskins do to improve the presentation, other than smoothing it out a bit?

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,683 of 2,030
What do the fenestrated sheepskins do to improve the presentation, other than smoothing it out a bit?
That's the most of it, besides slightly lifting the bass. I understand the fenestrated pads have the least impact.

On the Elex, I'd guess the slight smearing of transients from added fast reflections is advantageous or at least benign.

They're also thicker and tend to seal better than stock, and I had to adjust the positioning to accommodate the difference.

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #1,684 of 2,030
That's the most of it, besides slightly lifting the bass. I understand the fenestrated pads have the least impact.

On the Elex, I'd guess the slight smearing of transients from added fast reflections is advantageous or at least benign.

They're also thicker and tend to seal better than stock, and I had to adjust the positioning to accommodate the difference.
Do they affect the upper registers at all, or make them sound any darker or distant?

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,686 of 2,030
To me with those pads they give you 90% of the Utopia sound at 1/4 the proce.

Utopia and Elex owner BTW.
Clears are commented as being 95% of utopia on it's on please comment on this unfolding breaking news story Mr. focal owner

honestly isnt the elex the one zeos said most people would prefer to clear?

I just want to know which one to buy and am kicking myself because I don't want to pay 1K for clears to wait like months on preorder

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #1,687 of 2,030
Just got my Elex pads today from Drop. I am now set until they break or wear out. And then I will probably go Clear. :ksc75smile:

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,691 of 2,030
Joke. Some have remarked Focals, particularly Elex, as a sort of 'super Sennheiser'.
Sure. You collapse the Elex' soundstage by about two thirds, and remove the bass by roughly the same amount and greatly reduce the dynamics, impact, and overall brightness. Then EQ the Elex so the mids and vocals are intimate and prioritized above everything else. Then the Elex sounds just like a super HD650/6XX.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #1,692 of 2,030
Sure. You collapse the Elex' soundstage by about two thirds, and remove the bass by roughly the same amount and greatly reduce the dynamics, impact, and overall brightness. Then EQ the Elex so the mids and vocals are intimate and prioritized above everything else. Then the Elex sounds just like a super HD650/6XX.
Senns have been doing some things very right for a very long time, as attested by their continuing availability and popularity.

HD600/HD650 were also at one time considered TOTL, and after decades of process refinement, are reliable beyond Focal's wildest fantasies.

Magnesium and beryllium alloy diaphragms bring something new to the table, and it's lovely and impressive, but obviously hard to do, and will continue to benefit from refinement for years to come.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #1,695 of 2,030
Just got some used Elex in the mail. Pads are pretty soft, have obviously been loved (but not peeling or anything.)
Wondering how the sound changes with softer, worn pads - and if it'll sound different/better with new pads from Drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back