Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 25, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #1,696 of 2,030
Just got some used Elex in the mail. Pads are pretty soft, have obviously been loved (but not peeling or anything.)
Wondering how the sound changes with softer, worn pads - and if it'll sound different/better with new pads from Drop.
The pads are extremely soft from new. I was really surprised at how dodgy they are and how easily they compress. They're a bit like a feather pillow. But new pads from drop are an excellent idea for future use, otherwise you're looking at over the times the price for pads when the drop version is no longer available.

May 13, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,697 of 2,030
My Massdrop Elex right side driver died last week on Sunday.
Sent a support request to Drop immediately on Sunday and have not gotten a response till now... Drop......

May 17, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,699 of 2,030
May 17, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,700 of 2,030
Very nice review. They are one of my two favourite headphones.
I am curious about the Clears, but I fear the rate of diminishing returns will disappoint me. But when/if my Elex's go belly up, the Clears will likely be next.
Thank you very much.
They are different presentations that can suit different moods or use cases.
Honestly with the Elex at $700 I can't justify the original asking price for the Clear OG.
I don't know about the MG but I am going to find out sooner or later.
What is more puzzling is why Focal licensed this for the US market.
Maybe the Clear wasn't selling that good?
I don't know.

May 31, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,701 of 2,030
I got my Elex yesterday. A local listing had just popped up and price was exceptional so I jumped on it. They are quite mint - the cables had not even been unwrapped (!). The owner was simply selling to fund other projects and hadn't really used them. No clipping issues on mine, thankfully, even at ridiculous volumes. For reference, I sold my Clear last year because they clipped even at moderate levels which was unacceptable to me. The Focal cables, like usual, are worthless hot garbage. I am using a custom Audiophile Ninja cable (highly recommended brand) which is cool because the thick black cable works well with the dark aesthetic of the Elex. I am very pleased with their performance, so much so that I think I like them as much, or more, than my Clears! I also have a Stellia, and I might even like the Elex as much as them. Comfort is great for me, and I'm pretty giddy with new toy syndrome today. :) I'll have to spend some serious time with them to make final determinations, but these are a nice surprise.

aXgqkIL.jpg

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,703 of 2,030
Wait, you sold a pair of defective headphones? I hope the buyer was aware of this problem.
? I sold them locally to someone who was familiar with Focal's clipping issues and wanted them anyway. I am not the first person that's parted with Focal headphones. They were able to test them with ample time before they purchased. Part of the issue here is that, scouring the forums, you'll find many people that agree or disagree on if this is even "defective." Focal officially states it's a design feature. I couldn't live with the issue, but some people don't mind depending on their listening habits.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,705 of 2,030
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,706 of 2,030
Aug 3, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #1,709 of 2,030
Hey guys! Here is my review of Drop x Focal Elex open-back dynamic driver headphone. Check it out to know why I think it is one of the best value and best tuned open-back headphones under $1000 and a great community feedback driven VFM collaboration between Drop and Focal. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back