Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Sep 17, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #1,636 of 2,030
Can anyone recommend a decent but not expensive cable that is balanced 2.5mm and only about 4 feet long that works with the Elex? I'm thinking less than $60.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,637 of 2,030
Can anyone recommend a decent but not expensive cable that is balanced 2.5mm and only about 4 feet long that works with the Elex? I'm thinking less than $60.
Periapt makes a five foot balanced cable with an XLR connector and 3.5mm headphone termination for $68 (It's $58 wit a standard 1/4 inch or 3.5mm connector.). It is pretty well made and certainly worth the price. (I have it; I also have a Periapt balanced XLR for my HD700.) They will make it with a balanced 2.5mm connector. I don't know the price for that but assume it would be the same or very close. They might even make a four foot cable for you, they are very nice.

BTW, if you order, you might want to specify that its for a Focal Elex. The jacks on the headphone cups are rather narrow and the plugs on first cable I received were too thick to fit. They responded to me at once, sent me a new cable almost immediately, and told me not to send back the first one until I got the replacement. The second one was fine. They are a good company to do business with.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,638 of 2,030
Periapt makes a five foot balanced cable with an XLR connector and 3.5mm headphone termination for $68. It is pretty well made and certainly worth the price. (I have it; I also have a Periapt balanced XLR for my HD700.) They will make it with a balanced 2.5mm connector. I don't know the price for that but assume it would be the same or very close. They might even make a four foot cable for you, they are very nice.

BTW, if you order, you might want to specify that its for a Focal Elex. The jacks on the headphone cups are rather narrow and the plugs on first cable I received were too thick to fit. They responded to me at once, sent me a new cable almost immediately, and told me not to send back the first one until I got the replacement. The second one was fine. They are a good company to do business with.

5 feet would be fine. I've seen some balanced 2.5mm cables on Amazon but they are all 6.6 foot long which is too long. I'll have to get in contact with these guys and see what's up. Thanks.

I just emailed them and asked if they could do a balanced 2.5mm one. Might try to use mine with the balanced output of a Qudelix 5k.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #1,639 of 2,030
I recently pulled out my Elex after a bit of a hiatus. I never really gave these much time on my Liquid Platinum when I picked it up back in January. The LP totally brings these headphones alive! I had forgotten how great these are with detail retrieval even after getting more into IEMs this year. They always felt a little light in the bass department when using a Jotunheim and THX 887 though. These pair so well with the Liquid Platinum though and have good thump with great bass texture now. The stock Elex cables are so terribly stiff I found them very annoying. The cable is a custom build by OIDIO Sound out of the UK. I highly recommend them- great customer service.

This is still easily my favorite headphone under $1000!

PXL_20200923_175444374.jpg

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #1,640 of 2,030
I recently pulled out my Elex after a bit of a hiatus. I never really gave these much time on my Liquid Platinum when I picked it up back in January. The LP totally brings these headphones alive! I had forgotten how great these are with detail retrieval even after getting more into IEMs this year. They always felt a little light in the bass department when using a Jotunheim and THX 887 though. These pair so well with the Liquid Platinum though and have good thump with great bass texture now. The stock Elex cables are so terribly stiff I found them very annoying. The cable is a custom build by OIDIO Sound out of the UK. I highly recommend them- great customer service.

I love my Elex's on my LP!

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,641 of 2,030
Does anyone know which Dekoni pads match the sound of the original pads the closest?

And also how to get some spare stock Elex pads?

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #1,644 of 2,030
can i ask which among elex-elegia-clear has the best midrange and is best for male vocals

I like the vocals to be full bodied

I had the elear and I did not like it, is the elex like the elear, and wonder how they differ

I saw some mention the bass of elex is a bit muddy and not detailed is that very noticeable

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,645 of 2,030

Dang, all those cables are sold out! Any comperable ones that you know of? Also, where did you get that headband cover? Looks comfy. I'd like one to preserve the original padding too.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #1,646 of 2,030
Dang, all those cables are sold out! Any comperable ones that you know of? Also, where did you get that headband cover? Looks comfy. I'd like one to preserve the original padding too.
They arent sold out. They are custom made when you order:

https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/focal/mongrel-elear

Headband cover:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4T07IK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_yxd3FbYB4TKKD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It is expectedly cheap and the buttons rip right out if you aren't careful when unsnapping them. Easy to restitch if needed.

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,647 of 2,030
They arent sold out. They are custom made when you order:

https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/focal/mongrel-elear

Headband cover:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4T07IK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_yxd3FbYB4TKKD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It is expectedly cheap and the buttons rip right out if you aren't careful when unsnapping them. Easy to restitch if needed.
Thanks for your response. I must be missing something then because I filled out all the options for a cable and it still says out of stock and won't let me add to cart.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,648 of 2,030
Thanks for your response. I must be missing something then because I filled out all the options for a cable and it still says out of stock and won't let me add to cart.
Ah my bad, I see that now. I just received a couple cables from them two weeks ago. I would just email them to check availability.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,650 of 2,030

Hart audio cables are really good for the price (https://hartaudiocables.com/). You can either use their interconnect system or order a custom with whatever termination you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back