Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
May 13, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,621 of 2,030
Focal is willing to repair the damage that Drop has done, because at the end of the day, they’re hurting Focal’s image as well. I’ve heard that Audeze’s LCD2C was meant to be a Drop collab, but they backed out. Perhaps this is why?
Audeze decided to take their ball and go home after Drop recommended the tuning and the headband design, the latter of which is now used on all of the cans of Audeze's LCD line bar the LCD-1. Furthermore, the price was supposed to default at $599, which obviously Audeze was not comfortable with as a long-term MSRP. Two different situations.

Also, Focal's QC issues cropped up in their other cans well before the Elex (e.g. mass driver failures with their early run of Utopias).

May 13, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,622 of 2,030
Do any replacement pads keep the same sound signature as the original set?

The pads on my elex are fine at the moment but they are getting plenty of use (the are superb hooked up Qutest and SMSL SP200).

May 13, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,623 of 2,030
Do any replacement pads keep the same sound signature as the original set?

The pads on my elex are fine at the moment but they are getting plenty of use (the are superb hooked up Qutest and SMSL SP200).

Clear or Utopia pads should be close, but cost a lot

May 13, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #1,624 of 2,030
Clear or Utopia pads should be close, but cost a lot

that is my concern, is there a cheaper alternative that doesn't change the sound?

May 13, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,625 of 2,030
that is my concern, is there a cheaper alternative that doesn't change the sound?

I'm waiting on my Elex to arrive in August so I'm not speaking as an owner yet...but..

Have current owners experienced the Elex with aftermarket earpads from Delkoni Audio? They make a wide variety of pads that are usually well received by Head-Fiers.

I use a pair of the fenestrated sheepskin pads with my Sennheiser HD650's. Really love them. Maybe this is an option for the Elex?

May 13, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,626 of 2,030
I'm waiting on my Elex to arrive in August so I'm not speaking as an owner yet...but..

Have current owners experienced the Elex with aftermarket earpads from Delkoni Audio? They make a wide variety of pads that are usually well received by Head-Fiers.

I use a pair of the fenestrated sheepskin pads with my Sennheiser HD650's. Really love them. Maybe this is an option for the Elex?
I can't speak to how the Dekoni pads sound on the Elex (luckily, my Elex pads are still in great shape) but I've been contemplating getting a pair for my Sennheiser HD700, whose pads are starting to go. I don't know what it is about Focal pads, but the Elex pads from Dekoni run $20 more for the same style than their HD700 pads.

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,627 of 2,030
As did my 6XX before them, the Elex now have a creaking when the cups are jiggled, coming from the headband itself. It's not an issue when wearing them, just adjusting, picking up, etc. Any specific recommendations for a type of lubricant which may help reduce this sound? Thanks!

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #1,628 of 2,030
As did my 6XX before them, the Elex now have a creaking when the cups are jiggled, coming from the headband itself. It's not an issue when wearing them, just adjusting, picking up, etc. Any specific recommendations for a type of lubricant which may help reduce this sound? Thanks!
I had the same problem with my used Elears, drove me nuts. But the creaking happened while wearing them, I believe because of plastic rubbing on plastic. I used some graphite lube meant for use on locks. It's graphite powder suspended in a liquid and when the liquid dries it leaves only the graphite behind. It stinks for a bit while the liquid dries up but works well.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #1,629 of 2,030
I had the same problem with my used Elears, drove me nuts. But the creaking happened while wearing them, I believe because of plastic rubbing on plastic. I used some graphite lube meant for use on locks. It's graphite powder suspended in a liquid and when the liquid dries it leaves only the graphite behind. It stinks for a bit while the liquid dries up but works well.
Where did you apply it on the headphones?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #1,630 of 2,030
Where did you apply it on the headphones?
In the headband, where the metal yokes slide in. I just dribbled a bit of the lube inside and wiped off the excess. It's been over a year now I think and I haven't had any creaking.

Jun 22, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #1,632 of 2,030
I'm excited to have joined the Drop with these Focal Elex headphone. Drop says there are hoping to ship by the end of August. I'm hoping to get my headphones earlier but with everything as it is worldwide I can understand if manufacturing for Focal is slow.

I actually auctioned a pair of Focal Elegia last year. I really liked them but wasn't prepared to buy a pair at that point. Fast forward to this year, March time frame and now due to quarantine rules I'm finding that I have plenty of time to enjoy music via headphones.

I'm currently using both a Phonitor X with DAC and a Woo Audio WA6-SE to power my headphones. Sennheiser HD650 is my go to can. I really like them but now would like to try something different.

I've read some positive comments about the quick speed of the Elex drivers and hoping they offer more detail and imaging then my 650's. I've also read some concerning comments about people having defective Elex headphones. The problems seem to be driver and maybe connection related. Im making my purchase of the Elex hoping any production issues Focal had will be sorted out. Focal has an amazing reputation in the world of Hi-Fi and I'm confident they will correct manufacturing problems.

I'll report back when I have my Elex in hand. I'm excited.
We share the same story. More time for headphone use to stay safe indoors has been my justification for audio upgrades! I too am anxiously awaiting the August delivery for the Focal Elex. I see that we're practically neighbors. I'm in Torrance!

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #1,634 of 2,030
Great... now I'll have the first 1 and a half pairs + 3 pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back